Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my first IS a few days ago, an '04 IS300. Unfortunately I didn't check the clutch as thoroughly as I should have (I haven't driven manual very much and probably missed some signs of it slipping). It has 60,000 miles on it, and from reading around the forums it seems as while the clutch should last a good while longer than this, it can definitely go before then, depending on how it is driven.

It went out on me on my way home for the holidays. Now it is costing me $1600 to get it fixed by Lexus, and it is not covered under the powertrain warranty since it is a normal "wear and tear" item.

I purchased it from an individual. I was in somewhat of a rush to get the car before I left for home. I should have tested it much better and had someone else drive it as well. I have learned my lesson now! Check the clutch!

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Sorry to hear that but it certainly is a lesson learned the hard way.

By the way welcome aboard. ;)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sorry about your luck, but congrats on the car. For future reference going to the dealership (aka stealership) is about the most expensive decision you can make. Not sure where you are located but I'm sure some members in your area could suggest a local, reputable garage or even help you with repairs, upgrades for a hell of a lot less.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yeah i've got about 44k on my car and my clutch is starting to slip. I guess the previous owner beat the car pretty badly, but these clutches are really really weak.

BUN

·
Registered
533 Posts
My clutch started slipping a little after 69k. I actually just replaced it last week with the Exedy OEM Replacement Clutch from eBay. I bought it for $220 and found a shop here in San Diego that installed it for $345 (including getting the flywheel resurfaced). If you have any questions, PM me.. GL

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was in the middle of a trip and didn't have a lot of options on where to bring it. It actually turned out even worse, somehow it was so bad that the clutch completely burned out and the flywheel was damaged by the heat. The mechanic told me that they couldn't figure out what caused such extensive damage. The flywheel is covered under the warranty, but they still wouldn't pay it since the clutch was involved. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I am writing a letter to Lexus regarding the warranty, not sure if I will get anywhere though. My argument is that they couldn't tell what causes such bad damage to the flywheel and he even told me that he couldn't figure out if there was a flaw in the flywheel or if the previous owners did it. The mechanics said that they have never seen such bad damage.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It happens, it happened to me in my talon. It was really late and i accidentally drove onto a 3 inch divider and it wedged my car there. I kept reving and reving and the car would slowly move as it caught little bits of traction here and there. But under all that heat build it it cracked my flywheel too.

BUN

1 - 7 of 7 Posts