Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my check engine light has come on. I brought it to a local auto shop and hooked up the diagnostics computer to the car. Four codes came up saying to lean. The only mods as far as the engine goes are intake and exhaust. Would this be the cause? Could it be the O2 sensors? Car as roughly 47000 miles on it. Also, my tranny is shifting very sparatically, tranny fluid is black and definitely needs to be changed. If the tranny prob turns out to be serious, does anyone know where I can find a used E-Shift tranny? Any help would be appretiated!!

·
8,880 Posts
Which intake? Injen?
Tranny fluid is not supposed to be changed unless the car is drivven in heavy conditions, such as towing.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Intake

vlad_a said:
Which intake? Injen?
Tranny fluid is not supposed to be changed unless the car is drivven in heavy conditions, such as towing.
YES I HAVE AN INJEN AIR INTAKE SYSTEM

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
You could put the OEM intake back on, reset the ECU and see if that solves the problems. Sometimes an intake can cause strange auto shifting patterns due to changes in manifold vaccuum.

·
8,880 Posts
Re: Intake

4NTOY said:
vlad_a said:
Which intake? Injen?
YES I HAVE AN INJEN AIR INTAKE SYSTEM
Injen is well known for CEL. Their new version claims to have it solved. Design in the heat shield not deflecting incoming air has caused some manual cars to stall while in N at high speeds.

Put your stock air box back and see if problem goes away. Don't forget to reset ecu by removing negative terminal from the battery for about 15 min.

Your tranny is covered up to 70K miles/6 years.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
??

HoustonLex said:
as far as the tranny, why not take it to the dealer? Its covered.
The tranny is cover even after 36000 miles? Car has 47000 miles on it. And even if it is doesnt engine mods void that coverage?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
engine mods wont void tranny warranty...

unless u do something to the tranny, it should be covered

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Warrenty?

AltezzaBoy03 said:
engine mods wont void tranny warranty...

unless u do something to the tranny, it should be covered
MY POINT IS HOW LONG IS THE TRANNY WARRENTY? I HAVE 47000, DONT MOST WARRENTIES END AS OF 36000?

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Read your owners manual. If you don't have one, weite to Lexus and they will send you one. You can't go on rumor and "most vehicles" stuff. However, you really should put your stock intake back on and find out if that's the problem. At any rate, that will look like no mods if you go to the dealer and save you some arguing.

If you really want to find and solve your problems, sooner or later you will have to take the intiative to do it yourself or take your car to the dealer. Disagreeing with the people you have asked here for help isn't going to do a damn thing for you.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bartkat said:
Read your owners manual. If you don't have one, weite to Lexus and they will send you one. You can'g go on rumore and "most vehicles" stuff. However, you really should put your stock intake back on and find out if that's the problem. At any rate, that will look like no mods if you go to the dealer and save you some arguing.

If you really want to find and solve your problems, sooner or later you will have to take the intiative to do it yourself or take your car to the dealer. Disagreeing with the people you have asked here for help isn't going to do a damn thing for you.
I HAVENT DISAGREED WITH ANYONE! IM SIMPLY TRYING TO CLARIFY THINGS. I WAS NOT AWARE OF THE LEXUS WARRENTIES BECAUSE I DIDNT BUY MY CAR DIRECTLY FROM LEXUS.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
4NTOY said:
bartkat said:
Read your owners manual. If you don't have one, weite to Lexus and they will send you one. You can'g go on rumore and "most vehicles" stuff. However, you really should put your stock intake back on and find out if that's the problem. At any rate, that will look like no mods if you go to the dealer and save you some arguing.

I HAVENT DISAGREED WITH ANYONE! IM SIMPLY TRYING TO CLARIFY THINGS. I WAS NOT AWARE OF THE LEXUS WARRENTIES BECAUSE I DIDNT BUY MY CAR DIRECTLY FROM LEXUS.
No need to holler about it.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
20,661 Posts

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Re: Wheels

4NTOY said:
crontab said:
No. Maybe if you're talking about VW's, heh.

http://www.lexus.com/models/warranty_vehicle_protection/powertrain.html

Powertrain warranty lasts for 72 months or 70K miles.

-crontab -l

I know having 19" chrome rims must play a roll in my tranny problems. Do any of you think the dealer will use this as an excuse saying it was the cause and its my fault?

just take your car to the damn dealer... this is lexus for gods sakes.... dont lie to them, dont try and pull shit.... tell them whats up, and what the problem is. They will fix it...19 inch rims change the gear ratio, but shouldnt cause tranny problems....

·
Premium Member
4,786 Posts
My dealer LOVES to blame problems on my mods even if they make no sense :crazy:

I have the Injen Intake too, I get a CEL every ~500 miles then I reset the ECU and it goes away for like a month and comes back.

I recently purchased a HKS S-AFR to get rid of the lean condition and tune a few more HP out of the IS, you may want to do the same.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts