Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 IS300, put on a ebay special intake w/ k&n filter, and just installed a heat shield i won at the resent Lexfest in md, after i put the heat shield on drove it out came back turn off the car and all of a sudden smoke pored from under the hood, no fire, just fig it was the high temp paint on it burning off execess, but now today, it seems like the car is in limp mode, throttleing back and bogging, traction light tunrs on and off, and check engine light blinks. Disconnected the battery to reset the ecu turn on the car idles fine, take it down the street start geting on the car and it goes to shit. Anyone have any ideas, all plugs are pluged in, all lines are connected. i dont know..

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
kinked hoses to the intake from the heatshield install?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No i dont see anything that seems to be kinked, all are straight and free bending, im waiting for the engine to cool down i read a couple post im going to try to clean the MAF and see if that does anything, i dont see how a heat shield would give me a CEL

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMPRIMIS said:
cheap intake

Too much air disturbance going to the sensors
I installed the intake on last tuesday and ran it everyday since then racing and drifting it, no problems, until last night when i installed the heat shield, if that is the case ill go spend the money for a aem

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
You do understand how air flow can change how the sensor is reading?

And that adding a heat shield changes all of that?

its quite simple to understand

Yeah and go get an AEM :lol:

Biggest joke they cause worse than this :lol:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
IMPRIMIS said:
You do understand how air flow can change how the sensor is reading?

And that adding a heat shield changes all of that?

its quite simple to understand

Yeah and go get an AEM :lol:

Biggest joke they cause worse than this :lol:
Its a EXHAUST HEAT SHIELD goes over the headers, not a SR heat shield like on the SRT intakes, thats why i dont understand, i also think it might have something to do with me washing down my engine bay last night, i think i might have gotten some water down into the plugs and causing it to short or something cause i cleaned the MAF and cleared the ECU, but its idling ruff, and i would almost bet my life its missing on a cylinder, the way its sounding and acting, im not sure if its just electrical or maybe a burnt valvue. i hit the engine with some compressed air, all along the plugs and tryed to dry out everything im gonna go run it again and see whats what.

Edit* Just ran it CEL is on, Trac Blinking again, and it is def. missing on 1 or more cylinders, taking it down to Toyota for a Diagnostic check to find out whats up, Freebie!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update just went out, unplug battery let warm up took down the street went out and tested it, CEL GONE!, MISSING GONE!, i guess it was just some electrical gremlin, water on the coil or plugs but its runing fine now, thanks for everyones ideas trying to help me out!

·
Registered
449 Posts
maxlmus347 said:
Update just went out, unplug battery let warm up took down the street went out and tested it, CEL GONE!, MISSING GONE!, i guess it was just some electrical gremlin, water on the coil or plugs but its runing fine now, thanks for everyones ideas trying to help me out!
battery trick, huh? give yourself around 100-700 miles before your too sure it's completely gone. sometimes it'll pop in around 1000 miles as well.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dae1 said:
battery trick, huh? give yourself around 100-700 miles before your too sure it's completely gone. sometimes it'll pop in around 1000 miles as well.
will do, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
maxlmus347 said:
... i also think it might have something to do with me washing down my engine bay last night, i think i might have gotten some water down into the plugs and causing it to short or something cause i cleaned the MAF and cleared the ECU, but its idling ruff....

^^ Thats the big detail you forgot to mention :lol:

You probably had water in your spark plug sockets. See this thread:
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=223275&highlight=water+spark+plug

1 - 13 of 13 Posts