Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '01 IS (one of the first produced) just hit five years, with up to now hardly any problems at all.

In April, I got my first "Check Engine" light, and my dealer replaced the airflow sensor.

Two weeks ago, I got my second "Check Engine" light immediately after going over a railroad track. The dealer replaced the oxygen sensor.

I figured I was good to go for awhile after paying to replace those two. Today (guess what) the "Check Engine" light went back on with zero provocation from me.

Any advice or thoughts as to what's happening here? Is it possible the dealer misdiagnosed a couple of weeks ago when changing the oxygen sensor?

This is really annoying, so any expertise would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is probably unrelated to your problem, but my check engine light came on a couple of weeks ago. I had put gas in the car earlier that day ( and yes I did close the cap completely).

Took it to the dealer and they told me I needed a new catalytic converter and wanted a ridiculous amount of money for it. I picked up the car and continued to drive it while I searched for a good independent mechanic. The light went off a couple of days later and hasn't been back on since. I figure I just got some bad gas and after I burned it off everything was fine.... at least I hope that was the case.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an 01 is300 and this keeps happening to me too. When i bought my car the check engine light was on the dealer fixed it (supoosedly) two days later i hit a little bump and the light comes on so i brought it back. The dealer says its the evap sensor or the gas cap. He reset the ecu and told me to shut my car off when i pumped my gas......which i already did do anyway....well two days later the light goes on again...so he says he'll get me a new gas cap because it could be that....well about a week later the light goes on so I called him up and he says he has to change the canister.....me not knowing what the heck he's talking about says ok....so he gets that done after a slight run around. Like 3 days later guess what???????? that darn light goes back on again. So now i gotta bring it back and get it re-diagnosed. Thank God that the dealer has covered everything even though my warranty expired. But the run around has been a big hassle. So to answer your question i have no idea what is going on with you but i do feel your pain!! Does anybody have any idea what our problems could be stemming from or am i just being jerked around.

·
Registered
39 Posts
if you baby the car you will run into this problem. you need to floor the car, open it up from time to time to get all that "crap" out. if you havent and your at the point where your cats are messed up, you have to replace them. i have a 2001 is and the check engine light came on a 6 months ago. i was distressed then i remembered i hadn't opened her up in a while, i floored it, the car lurched and there was this feeling like the car was clearing itself out and the check engine light turned off

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
So you know yours was one of the first produced?? Why because it was an 01 or the salesman told you that. Fix your 02 sensor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts