Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

This is my first thread starter and I wanted to get some feedback for my first mod to my car. SO im sure many of you have seen cheap intake mod using the Spectre Universal intake tube. This was the cheaper alternative to getting the JoeZ intake pipe. After doing the Spectre tubing mod, I planned on getting a drop in K&N air filter. Although it looked great, I grew unsatisfied with the sound decided to make own.

So I took the stock air box out. Took a dremel and cut out the MAF portion of the stock air box and attached that to the intake tube. Then I got a hold of a K&N cone filter from Pep Boys and attached it on the other end. End Result? An awesome sounding K&N intake and it only cost me roughly $130 and an ice cold beer.

Pics are on the way since maybe tom I cant find my camera in my cluttered room :pissed:

Haha The Pics are In!!!

Attachments

·
13,727 Posts
well ... i thought K&N filter with oil will mess up your sensor ....
It can. Make sure you don't over oil the filter and let it dry completely before re-installing. I personally stay away from any oiled filter. AEM makes a dry flow filter which I would look into if you are concerned about screwing up your MAF, or look into the Blitz filter. The blitz only works with the stock intake box though.

And nice work making your own intake, lets hope for no check engine lights.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Sounds nice, got any pics?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Wonder if I'll get my first +rep today? :bigSmile:
Sure why not. +rep. I was thinking about doing this, but I wasn't sure If i wanted to cut up the stock airbox. It looks nice though. Good work.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sure why not. +rep. I was thinking about doing this, but I wasn't sure If i wanted to cut up the stock airbox. It looks nice though. Good work.
Thanks dude, I appreciate it! Whoohoo +rep :bigSmile:

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
+rep looks clean to me, cheap alternative...might wanna get a heat shield though. look for the DIY thread in the go fast section.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
+rep looks clean to me, cheap alternative...might wanna get a heat shield though. look for the DIY thread in the go fast section.
Thanks dude, greatly appreciated. As for the heat shield, Im just waiting on my exhaust then Imana get headers and heat wrap it. U think that'll be enough?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Looks good, and way to be creative. Ha I love how you just cut up the old stock parts and made it work. If you do get it dyno'd, be sure to post up.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
How does the diameter of your pipe compare to that of the stock intake?

You should probably put some sort of heat shield... or else your car might stall when the fans turn on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

You should probably put some sort of heat shield... or else your car might stall when the fans turn on.
Ya, its about the same diameter that's why the MAF section just fit right in. As for the heat shield, Im getting the Greddy Evo2 exhaust next week then eventually within a month, Imana install some headers and wrap it. U think I'll be experiencing any problems w/o a heat shield for the meantime? Or should I fabricate a heat shield from the DIY section? Thanks

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
the only time you really ever need a dyno is for tuning honestly. If you can't feel the powergains or even if you can but its not significant... not worth it man.

anyways good work

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
well ... i thought K&N filter with oil will mess up your sensor ....
Wrong. That's a myth that dumb ricers fell for. It's been tested and proven over and over again. Anyways, why would there be oil unless the user didn't follow the instructions when re-oiling and saturated the filter with too much.

Its probably not worth the dyno fee to see the gain of 2.7545251 hp.
Exactly. Most of the gains from intake are due to the stock filter and airbox being so restrictive. Replacing the oem filter with something else will yield similar results.

Wonder if I'll get my first +rep today? :bigSmile:
Rep isn't really that important. You didn't do anything, groundbreaking.

Elaborate please. Because with that theory a car would have problems on a hot day.

·
13,727 Posts
Wrong. That's a myth that dumb ricers fell for. It's been tested and proven over and over again. Anyways, why would there be oil unless the user didn't follow the instructions when re-oiling and saturated the filter with too much.

Exactly. Most of the gains from intake are due to the stock filter and airbox being so restrictive. Replacing the oem filter with something else will yield similar results.

Rep isn't really that important. You didn't do anything, groundbreaking.

Elaborate please. Because with that theory a car would have problems on a hot day.
One, K&N and other wet type air filters have a LONG history of screwing up MAF sensors. And yes, this is due to over-oiling. But why take that chance when there are good dry filters out there (Blitz, AEM dry flow, etc.)

And good call on the dyno, I can't believe people want to pay $75+ to see a one or two hp gain.

Three, do a search on AEM intakes and heat shields and you will see why a heat shield is necessary. When the fan kicks on, it disrupts the air flow going into the filter. Thus, Check Engine Light and poor running IS. This has been documented time and time again. I can agree with you that on most cars this is not the case, but the IS must have a super sensitive MAF sensor because it happens all the time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts