Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally finished the swap, no pictures though really...

THis is more of a report than a tuturial.

LSD was sourced from a 90-92 Turbo Supra (Torsen)
-NOT THE WHOLE PUMPKIN, JUST THE LSD ITSELF

1.) You cannot use the Supra's ring gear, its too big. Transfering your old one onto the supra one is a must.

2.) The diff bearings (THe 2 LSD bearings) for a 91 Supra Turbo(And NA) are the SAME EXACT PART # as the IS300 as per the #'s inscribed on them.

3.) Its super important that you use the proper shims to achieve the proper backlash. If this is wrong your diff is going to fail.

THAT BEING SAID YOU NEED A MICROMETER AND DIAL INDICATOR GAUGE TO COMPLETE THIS SWAP.

4.) You really need to have a copy of the service procedure to perform this swap, its not as easy as removing and reinstalling.

NOTES:
-Be carefull removing the ring gears, the manual says to heat them but mine came off pretty easy with a small block of wood and some gentle hammering.

-You can remove the race from the old bearing and use the center section and a hammer to install the new bearings.

-Dont try to reuse you old bearings, and dont use dissimilar inner and outer bearing pieces.

-I also believe that Cressidas, and similar JDM vehicles (soarers/chasers) had the same LSD as the MK3 supra.

-I'd say this on a difficulty scale is 3 out of 5

COST:
I traded some parts for the diff= "Free"
Regularly see them on Supraforums for $100 or LESS

The bearings were $87.00

Shims are $2-3 each i believe, i had some extras from another job so i used those, (There are about 30 different sizes to choose from)

So for about $200 or less you could have a beefy supra torsen diff in your IS300. Still quite a bit cheaper than buying a whole torsen diff and swapping it over. ($400-$600)

I suppose that if you bought your mk3 supra diff WITH INNER AND OUTER portions of the bearings you could do the swap for about $100 plus the cost of shims.

·
Registered
774 Posts
cool. cheaper upgrade for non-LSD cars.

·
Registered
99 Posts
why would you do it on an IS with LSD... thats kind of retarded
With ppl put quaife or cusco or Trd in the LSD IS...that's kindda retard...

Why....because they are stronger or better...

So he said:
....you could have a beefy supra torsen diff in your IS300....
So he could have replace a worn Lsd or a 'beefier' one....
That's why I ask...

Thank you for the answer bradley.

·
Premium Member
16,050 Posts
wow, that's very interesting. I may try it out.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
With ppl put quaife or cusco or Trd in the LSD IS...that's kindda retard...

Why....because they are stronger or better...
Because those aren't torsen LSDs, they are both stronger clutch type LSDs that lock better than a torsen does.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Because those aren't torsen LSDs, they are both stronger clutch type LSDs that lock better than a torsen does.
Clutch Type LSD's are the pre- 1989 turbo models i think...

I Dont know 100% sure (But am pretty confident they are the same) but you could put a MK3 supra Clutch type in if you so choose and thought it would be that much stronger.

I really liked the way the torsen felt in my supra and wanted a torsen specifically when i went looking. I think torsens have a more "neutral" feel to them.

FYI: If your hunting for a "stronger" lsd maybe the TRD lsd/(other) clutch type lsd for the mk3 supra would be hella lot cheaper than the TRD one for the IS300.

From what it looks like the size dimensions must be identical but i cant find a list that says:

Fits: Is300 and mk3 supra.... Its just one or the other.

-Brad

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE:

Test drive yields no noises or abnomalities, everything is A OK!

I dont think i have to go thru a break in period because its used.... but still i have only tried the smallest of peel outs just yet. I'll wait a little while before i try a real burnout or such.

(Traction is ALOT better the little peelout i tried was alot harder to do than the open diff peelouts, lots more traction)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE:

THe longer its been in the braver i've gotten with trying to abuse it...

THe ge engine just doesnt have the power to sustain a "drift" thru any dry traction corner. My t78 mkiv used to tear the shit out of corner with sustainable and controllable drifts....

IS300 = powerless
-Just cant get the tires spinning on it, too much traction.

Need to go v8 or turbo before it can be enjoyed.

OR

Only try in the Rain or snow.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just stuck a junk yard LSD in my IS and I am driving it like a mad man. I figured it was broken in already so screw it. :)

I am loving the LSD. It is taking some getting used to. It is my first RWD car with LSD so power on oversteer is a whole different experience now. :) It was dummy proof before with only one one wheel spinning.

As usual when I do something new to one of my cars it rains constantly. :) I have had a few dry spots to test in though. But testing in the rain has been interesting too. I am amazed at how well it rips off the line in the rain now. I can practically clutch drop in the rain.

LSD FTW!!! hahaha.. I sound like a drug dealer. :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
good, glad you enjoy it. The IS sucks balls but at least with the LSD its "better" until i manage to coax $$$ Out of my wallet and ponies out of the engine.

-Brad

·
Registered
785 Posts
Old post, but figured I would bump it back up since I am in the process of doing this swap. My diff is also out of a older Supra, but I think I snagged a Clutch type Supra diff, not sure yet :) I will be taking pics and notes of this. Credit goes part to Bradley for initialing doing this.

-Joe

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It deff is a cheap upgrade for us non-lsd guys. The mk3 guys practically are GIVING away these diffs because they are so common. Prices range from $50-$150, nice huh?

hwetko is selling a brand new zero mile one FYI

·
Registered
250 Posts
yea lets do some acid.. not! i have non-lsd and it sucks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes non-lsd sucks. I find that snow driving is not bad at all with snow tires. I have a feeling that without the lsd my trac control would have been on ALL the time and I would get stuck all the time. LSD ensures me escaping my driveway in the morning with up to 5" of snow :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Did this on mine with a JDM unit sourced at a local supplier.

It was a 4.10 unit from a Mk3 JZA70 Supra.

Dropped right into the stock IS case using the IS gears and side flanges.

Clutch is slipping right now so I haven't been able to 'abuse' , ahem 'test' it.

Yet.

JDM ALan

1 - 20 of 36 Posts