Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lookin at the tanabe gear and seen the 4 pt lower are brace bar and the lower brace. Im no stranger to using these parts on other cars. I'm jus curious of the affect on the is300. Is it worth the money? Noticable diff? How much does the rear strut bar help or would the triangle bar be better way to go for the strut tower reinforcement? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Get sways but if you want cheap chasis bracing get it off ebay its uber cheap and good quality that what i'm gonna do.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
i have the rear ebay underbrace. you can definitely feel it. before in 2nd hear i could stomp on the gas and the back would step out. now i do that and it just sticks. definitely feels more planted. good $40 spent.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
get sway bars first if anything buddy it really helps with the cornering of the car....chassis braces i am currently using the ebay front and rear tanabe ebay it does the same crap. i profile coming up and down drive ways and it would the car would make creaking noises and now with the ebay underbraces it doesnt. hope this helps.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get sways but if you want cheap chasis bracing get it off ebay its uber cheap and good quality that what i'm gonna do.
Hows it goin man....havent seen you in awhile. Yea i think im gonna get the rear strut bar. Good time would prolly be that top speed customer appreciatio they are having in april. You going?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
get sway bars first if anything buddy it really helps with the cornering of the car....chassis braces i am currently using the ebay front and rear tanabe ebay it does the same crap. i profile coming up and down drive ways and it would the car would make creaking noises and now with the ebay underbraces it doesnt. hope this helps.
Thanks for the info man!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts

Sway bars are a totally different conversation from the topic of Chassis bars and STBs????

Sways bars affect the motive traction of the car the other stuff the stiffness of the chassis.

But my opinion based on having all of the above is that the tanabe rear underbrace and rear STB stiffen the car noticeably for more feel on the rear end that make handling at the limit sharper and more predictable particularly when autoXing but even for normal street driving. This is because the geometry of the chassis stays the same and doesn't flex and act like an undamped spring. Definitely get them for the IS. The front STB doesn't make much difference but looks nice. The stock springs and sways are ridiculously soft so for any meaningful handling both have to go and be replaced with something like the Eibach prokit springs and sways which transform the IS into a proper sports sedan but maintain comfort. Get adjustable Konis or Illumina shocks to go to the next level....Coilovers are another territory all together....

But if your suspension is stock then chassis mods are likely a waste (I don't know because I did the suspension first) because it is too soft to benefit from a stiffer chassis.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
i know that i just wanted to cover the the sways as well as chassis and STBs thanks +rep

Reactions: CEB

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
i know that i just wanted to cover the the sways as well as chassis and STBs thanks +rep
Ha ha yeah...and sways are a very good way to go so it is all good. +Rep back.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Anything CEB says, I take to heart. He knows whatn he talking about. How are you Charles?
Doing well but haven't driven the IS since...November now...the SAFC is still not installed and I haven't done the steering wheel yet either...nor the rims...getting lazy but definitely looking forward to the autoXing starting up in April....Once the weather warms up I'll be more motivated.

Your car is always looks absolutely perfect and tastefully modded. Along the lines of Chado's which is the other one that comes to mind.

·
Latex salesman
4,046 Posts
That's awfully kind of you CEB. I admire Chado's car too. He's very meticulous. I'm having a new set of headlights retrofitted and they WILL be unique. I just found a guy in Indy who can do CF parts so I'm going to do a few more things in the engine bay and I just ordered a new set of Yokohama Advan Neova AD08s. :approve:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sway bars are a totally different conversation from the topic of Chassis bars and STBs????

Sways bars affect the motive traction of the car the other stuff the stiffness of the chassis.

But my opinion based on having all of the above is that the tanabe rear underbrace and rear STB stiffen the car noticeably for more feel on the rear end that make handling at the limit sharper and more predictable particularly when autoXing but even for normal street driving. This is because the geometry of the chassis stays the same and doesn't flex and act like an undamped spring. Definitely get them for the IS. The front STB doesn't make much difference but looks nice. The stock springs and sways are ridiculously soft so for any meaningful handling both have to go and be replaced with something like the Eibach prokit springs and sways which transform the IS into a proper sports sedan but maintain comfort. Get adjustable Konis or Illumina shocks to go to the next level....Coilovers are another territory all together....

But if your suspension is stock then chassis mods are likely a waste (I don't know because I did the suspension first) because it is too soft to benefit from a stiffer chassis.
Rep for you! You say upgrade springs and shocks. On a 01 is3 the springs are actually shorter by 0.7'' and stiffer. So would jus upgrading the shock be the way to go? Eibach pro's are avg of 1''. I dont know the spring rate.
The rear of the IS seems to roll somewhat. I feel the rear strut bar would limit the roll. I want a precise feel entering a turn, not a rush of body roll and weight after intial turn in or quick responses.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Ok so I have coilovers and iv have been looking at STB's and chass braces. From what im getting front STB's are more for show witch explanes why i can rarly find them but with high tension coilovers should I get both rear STB and a chass brace?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.