Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts

I don’t have the other valve PN on hand. The vapor valve will have a hairline crack on the top section. Hard to believe that it cause the code but it does.
When you smoke test it you might see smoke on the RR top side of the tank. Plus real diagnostic smoke machines produce a peculiar smell, you’ll recognize it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I found one more "cracked" vacuum hose. Replaced and clamped. Reset the check engine light

report back with results please. everyone finds something but never says the issue or results after fixing THE MOST common problem with these cars.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
report back with results please. everyone finds something but never says the issue or results after fixing THE MOST common problem with these cars.
Most common HAS to be #2 control arm bushings.... inner tyre wear...LOL

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Light back on with same codes after approx 500 miles. I got the smoker, where should I tap in to check 1st?

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
571 Posts
On that evap solenoid that is located on the back of the intake manifold there is the small u shaped hose that normally cracks on these. Anyway on that valve there should be two hoses attached to it. The U-shaped hose should run into the intake (where the fuel vapor will be allowed enter back into the engine).

there will be another hose on top of that same valve. Follow that hose back and there should be a EVAP service port. This is where you can hook your smoke tester up to. Disconnect that top hose from the valve. Then clamp that end shut tight. Hook up the smoke tester and pump in smoke and look for leaks. This should flow through the entire system.

Here are two links:

Reactions: TobiasSing

·
Registered
16 Posts
After trying the gas cap, I fixed my P0440 by cutting the sheet metal under the seats and replacing the fuel Overfill check valve on top of the gas tank. It's tons easier than dropping the tank. I do not recommend using a saw or anything that produces sparks. I used metal shears and as soon as I pryed open the panel the car was fuming with the smell of gas. Whole process took maybe 40min tops.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
After trying the gas cap, I fixed my P0440 by cutting the sheet metal under the seats and replacing the fuel Overfill check valve on top of the gas tank. It's tons easier than dropping the tank. I do not recommend using a saw or anything that produces sparks. I used metal shears and as soon as I pryed open the panel the car was fuming with the smell of gas. Whole process took maybe 40min tops.
Yea, I went ahead and ordered it because I have yet to hear a high mileage IS that has not needed this done. Thanks

21 - 31 of 31 Posts