Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
You've got a great camera. There's lots of things you can do. I have one myself, and owned it for a year. It's my first dslr and i'm still learning how to use it. It certainly takes time, it really helps if you have someone to shadow. Unfortunatly for me, I have to experiment to learn the ropes. I would highly recomend investing in a new lens. The kit lens (if that's what you're using) is very limited. I've spend a pretty penny for a 10-22 and i'm very happy with it. Look into it.

So as for the car, it looks great. The only thing i could say it would help would be to take the JDM sticker off your fender. It takes away from the cleaness of your car. I have something similar on my car, the Baby-On-Board magnetic sign. I original got one for my window but w/ tint it didn't show through so i ended up getting one to stick on the outside. Here's what i mean:

Good luck with your modding and your new hobby.

+rep for a clean image (both car and photography).

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Really nice shots! I need to get a decent camera..

I agree on losing the sticker on the fender but other than that, Super clean :approve:

Reactions: azn4life

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
beautiful background! but yeah, lose the old man sticker. +rep!

clean car, too :approve: can't go wrong with RMM

Reactions: azn4life

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Not bad on the pics! One suggestion I'd say is to watch out for the small details. Like in the third picture, turn you wheel the other way so we can see your rim! Then keep an eye out for things "sticking out" of your car. Like the orange cone in the 10th picture. Other than that, make sure you're white balancing and of all things, make your light meter happy!! :) Oh and hopefully you were using a tri-pod, that will make a huge difference for next time. My favorite picture is your first one though!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
And I probably should have added, if you need any help, just let me know! I've been using that same camera for a couple of years now...

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Not bad on the pics! One suggestion I'd say is to watch out for the small details. Like in the third picture, turn you wheel the other way so we can see your rim! Then keep an eye out for things "sticking out" of your car. Like the orange cone in the 10th picture. Other than that, make sure you're white balancing and of all things, make your light meter happy!! :) Oh and hopefully you were using a tri-pod, that will make a huge difference for next time. My favorite picture is your first one though!

Thanks, yea last night i forgot to white balance. I was using my tripod only bad thing is the shots last night I forgot the mount that goes to the camera on to it, it may have helped but it was sitting pretty still none the less.

One thing i want to learn is how to add a frame to my pics using PSE6 all the tutorials i looked up online were horrible or not what i wanted.

Also ive been using the pre made settings, for a parking structure using manual mode what settings should i be using? anyone know of a good photography forum?

Also you cant tell but the car is pretty filthy, MSM is harder to tell unless you know what its supposed to look like, when I wash an wax her (which i used to do twice a week) its almost like a new color.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Well for settings it's really your preference I guess. I shoot in M mode all the time, but you need to know what the Aperture and Shutter Speed are going to be doing for you. If you think you're a beginner yourself, try Av mode. This lets you set a F-Stop that you want and the camera will chose a shutter speed that makes sure you get a proper exposure. With something like full car shots, I'd set a lens around 9.0. You have to remember, the lower the number, the greater the depth of field. (If you're shooting your front wheel at F1.8 and the back of your car is still in the picture, the back will be "blurry". If you're shooting the same shot on F9.0, the wheel will be in focus as well as the back of the car) It really just takes some time and messing around with it. White balance is always key too. Set it to single shooting, Partial Metering, One-Shot Focusing, and use ISO100 or 200 for nice, fine, low noise pictures! Hope this all helps!! Just remember, practice really does make perfect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts