Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
I am working on my manual swapped 01 Lexus Is300 and need to replace my power steering pump. Looking at the associated plumbing; the reservoir and piping need to go too plus this will help me start getting the engine bay cleaned up for turbo on down the line. I ordered the Chase Bays relocation kit and am wondering if anyone has found a way to run this kit without rerouting the brake booster as well.
Thanks
Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Car

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apologies @Hodgdon Extreme if I didn't explain well. I am going with Chase Bays power steering pump reservoir relocation unit to move the reservoir from on top of the power steering pump to mounted on top of the shock tower which will make it easier to go front facing intake manifold for turbo and puts way better lines for power steering w/a n fittings in as well. The problem I see(and I have read repeatedly) is that you also have to get their brake booster relocation unit as well. I am asking if anyone found a way to mount this kit without using that kit by moving other things around?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I think I understand what you're asking now. Looks to me like Chase Bays PS relocation "kit" is based around mounting the reservoir to the shock tower; and that placement interferes with the brake booster - requiring you to delete the booster.

I bought the Chase Bays PS reservoir, but not their "kit". You can see where I chose to mount it in this picture; and it didn't require deleting the brake booster:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I understand what you're asking now. Looks to me like Chase Bays PS relocation "kit" is based around mounting the reservoir to the shock tower; and that placement interferes with the brake booster - requiring you to delete the booster.

I bought the Chase Bays PS reservoir, but not their "kit". You can see where I chose to mount it in this picture; and it didn't require deleting the brake booster:

@Hodgdon Extreme, that looks good but I think it would probably hit my master cylinder for the manual trans there on mine. Are auto or manual?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
My car is a manual; if you look closely you can see the clutch master cylinder hiding behind the power steering reservoir.

My clutch master cylinder is an aftermarket Tilton unit, which I think is actually bigger (and stick out further forward from the firewall) than stock - but I can't vouch for that.

Last, you can install the PS reservoir wherever you want so long as the supply line (that runs to the pump inlet) is higher than the pump inlet. Obviously the length of the lines included with the Chase Bays kit would limit your placement choices.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Could you have them make you a special order kit with the lines a bit longer? I think the CB PS kit is cool but not cool enough to lose power brakes over. I get the “why” - it’s tailored to drift cars and power brakes aren’t going to be missed as much compared to a street car.

I have no idea how much pressure is in the return line, but I’d think it would be the one to worry about. You might could extend it with some ptfe pressure lines.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I have no idea how much pressure is in the return line, but I’d think it would be the one to worry about. You might could extend it with some ptfe pressure lines.
For all lines except for the high-pressure line from the pump to the rack, Toyota used simple rubber hoses with a basic spring-clamp to connect it to the hard lines.

My arrangement includes:

Reservoir-to-pump: Gates PS hose with push-lok style AN fittings on each end
Pump-to-Rack: stock Toyota high pressure PS line
Rack-to-PS cooler: Gates PS hose with Oetiker clamps securing each end
PS cooler-to-Reservoir: Gates PS hose with Oetiker clamp on cooler end and Push-lok ftting on reservoir end

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
My arrangement includes:
I may have to steal your setup. My pump-to-res hose was sweating fluid when I pulled my engine. I’d like to get the PHR pump suction adapter and snag a CB res. It will gussy up my bay nicely.

So the OP @Only1jt could have CB make a custom length hose kit, or he could just piecemeal himself a kit using CB high pressure line and red, and his own suction and return lines; then? It blows my mind CB doesn’t offer it already.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My car is a manual; if you look closely you can see the clutch master cylinder hiding behind the power steering reservoir.

My clutch master cylinder is an aftermarket Tilton unit, which I think is actually bigger (and stick out further forward from the firewall) than stock - but I can't vouch for that.

Last, you can install the PS reservoir wherever you want so long as the supply line (that runs to the pump inlet) is higher than the pump inlet. Obviously the length of the lines included with the Chase Bays kit would limit your placement choices.
@Hodgdon Extreme , ahh..I totally missed the master cylinder hiding back there. That is the perfect place once I make me a couple of mounts and I think you're right @Kris OK. If I don't have enough length in the hose going to the pump, I'm sure they'd have no problem making a little longer line.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
That’s what I would do, man. Just have a custom length made. If they can’t/won’t, then piece it together using their res &high pressure line, and @Hodgdon Extreme ‘s method to get the hoses the correct length.

I had a 65 Mustang. It didn’t have power anything. 289 4V, solid lifter cam. It was fun and got plenty of attention but all the Armstrong steering and Armstrong windows and Legstrong brakes got old. Still, I wish I had it today. 🥲

1 - 12 of 12 Posts