Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

are there any DIY online for changing wheel studs?
As you have probably seen, I had some kinds "get loose" the other day, and I want to change them asap!

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
Here are some steps:

-go get studs @ parts store 1.50 ea or something
-take off lugs
-take off wheel
-remove brake caliper (secure to upper control arm with metal hanger/hook
-take air powered chisel
-pop old one out
-pop new one in
-air hammer it back in

reinstall wheel and lugs

(yes I just did 2 on 1 side)

:lol:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thnaks for the link Lex. IPRIMUS, whats an air chisel??? Do the discs have bolts on them bolted to the hub?

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
KOFFEE-BLACK said:
Thnaks for the link Lex. IPRIMUS, whats an air chisel??? Do the discs have bolts on them bolted to the hub?

yes (DOH!)

forgot that part

I just had it done and I watched

air chisel goes into a pheumatic drill (hooks to air compressor)

pretty nice

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool! Thanks, I might do a write up DIY on it then!

·
Registered
289 Posts
if you dont have any air tools or a compressor i would recommend:
removing the studs with a mallot
and installing a new one with washers and a bolt, just put the new one through the hole on the hub place the washers on the new stud then just bolt the lug nut on, keep bolting untill the rear sits flush on the hub

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
IMPRIMIS said:
yes (DOH!)

forgot that part

I just had it done and I watched

air chisel goes into a pheumatic drill (hooks to air compressor)

pretty nice

Hhaha you and your air hammer. You remind me of this guy I work with, he is always using his air hammer on every little thing.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I completed this over the weekend, it was piss easy! Here isa DIY write up. Sorry, i have no pics.
Note $ are in AUS
Ok, first off, what you need:

17mm Spanner/Socket
14mm Socket
Hammer
Loctite
WD40
Studs
Jack/Stands/T Bar
4 Pavers
Wheels studs

Ok first off, loosen all 10 nuts on the 2 front wheels, jack the car up, high enough to place jack stands on either side. Once the car is safley on the stands, take the wheels off.

Now its time to take off the calipers. I needed to take the pads out (14mm bolt) but if there is enough clearance you wont need to. There are 2 bolts, this is where you need the 17mm spanner. They are on quite tight, but using WD40, letting it sit for a min or two, loosens them up, if needed use the hammer on the spanner to break it up.

I undid the bottom bolt first, then proceeded to the top. I had a friend help, the caliper is not light. Before i undid the last bolt, I placed 4 pavers on the ground, so i can rest the caliper on.

Ok, now that the caliper is off, and sitting firmly on the pavers (You can use whatever, i just had pavers handy) the disc should be very easy to slide off. Some cars have 2 screws holding the disc to the hub, but strangley, the IS doesnt. Once you have taken the disc out, its time to get rough!

Grab a hammer, and start bashing the studs out! Before you do this, spray a bit of WD40 on each bolt, just to loosen them up a bit. This should take no more than 1 min to do!

Ok, so we have the wheel off, caliper, disc, and now the studs out! All you should see is the hub now.

Grab 5 new studs (These were bought for $3 each @ Toyota). Squirt some loctite on the treaded part of the new stud, as shown below.

Ok, place them in the hub (One by One) from behind. you will not be able to just push them in with your hand, I had to BASH each one, till they were tight. This is not the only part, as I found out the hard way (Wheels didnt, fit, it was like a 5 x 100 pcd haha), the studs will go in crooked. Once you have put them in with a hammer, get a nut, and bolt it on, tighten it as much as possible, and continue to do it to the other 4. This will make sure each stud is now straight, and back to that 5x114.3 configuration!

Now once all studs are on, we are pretty much done. Place the disc back on (i used this as an excuse to upgrade to RDA Slotted @ $120 each). Place the caliper back on, and the pads. This will hold the disc in place. Put the rims back on, tighten all nuts in a star configuration. Lower the car down, re tighten all the nuts again, and bobs your uncle!

Cost of the project (not including $280 tow from wakefield haha) was exactly $290, but that was including the purchace of 10 lug nuts and Slotted Disc.

Wheels Studs from Toyota @ $3 each = $30 ( I did all the front)
Wheel lug nuts from Big O Tyres @ $2 each =$20 (got 10)
RDA Slotted discs from a friend @ $120 each = $240

Reactions: LexDymndz
1 - 9 of 9 Posts