Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought some new Rain-x latitudes and thought i could just snap them on...but then i noticed that the OEM blades are come with a kind of outer shell that i don't think you're supposed to discard....

i am having trouble figuring out how to use the existing "shell" with the new blades...

your suggestions are appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have the same wipers and mine just popped in. there was no extra pieces. just remember that one is 22" (drivers side) and the other is 20" (passenger side)
I see. Please check out the pic. Did you discard the previous wiper casing and just use the Rain-X out of the box as is?

The original is below with the Rain-X on top.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've only had the 300 but I would think the 350 just has the loop/u-shaped hook at the end to hook on the new wiper blade just like any other car...i doubt there is a extra piece that you have to keep from the OEM blade--but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It looks like you just bought the wiper blade refill and not the wiper blade assembly. If that's the case, you need to remove the old rubber squeegee section from your current arm and rethread the new one in.

Lou

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone. i bought the whole wiper assembly and it does snap onto the hook. the only thing is that the OEM wiper looks so much sleeker...i'll try to rethread again, but the first time i tried, some long, thin metal pieces came out and aren't that easy to put back together...i guess i can always go to the dealer for help.

·
Registered
269 Posts
How are you feeling about your new wiper blades? I feel like I might be due to change mine. I've owned my car for over a year now (it was bought new) and I have over 21,000 miles on it

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here's what i've gathered...in order to get a set like the ones that came on the car, with the nice aerodynamic shell, you've got to go OEM. i didn't like the look of the Rain-X on the car and returned them. there probably is a way to rethread some new rubber into the OEM wiper casing/shell thingy, but i didn't bother.. when i go to change next time, i'll get a set of OEMS.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I haven't replaced the one's on my F yet, but I did replace the blades on my truck with Bosh Icons, and they have the aero shape like the ones on my F. I believe that most premium blades now have that shape. It's designed to hold the blade to the window at speed.

Lou

·
Registered
66 Posts
The outer "shell" is a part of the wiper blade, it cannot remain on the car if you change to non-OEM wiper blades. It is a plastic cover for the metal frame inside the wiper.

I still prefer the OEM wipers to just about anything though. Not sure why people go to other types.

Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts