Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
52,282 Posts
You have to pry on the bezel from the rear with something flat like a table knife. You only need to insert it about 1/16" or so. What looks like the entire glass, and bezel assembly will swing down. If it's hard to pry, then your tool is in too far. It should pop very easily. Just takes a little fiddling around.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
all you need is a butter knife, jus slide it along the edge. theres a total of 4 clips, 2 on each side(front & back). the whole cover comes off you don't separate the lense from it. basically the butter knife or your screwdriver slides in about no more then a milimeter or so... from there you jus pull down lightly. the cover should then come off. replace bulb then put everything back together.

here's a pic of the map lights. In the pic is the whole map lights removed, but u will only be removing the cover to change the bulb. The red box is where the clips will be.

p.s
try to search next time! its the most helpful fren on the my.is haha

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just finished unbinding my CD player thanks to this site, yet I still can't get this map light off! I have circled the entire map light assembly, with a butter knife, and can find no clips of any kind. In fact I can stick it in about a half inch and hit nothing. Any more tips? If I do hit a clip, what then? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
markster1001 said:
I need to change the map light in my 2003 IS300. How do I get the cover off? I'm a fraid of busting something- (Ok, so maybe I'm just a little too chicken.- But I love this car!)
Thanks!
You really "need to" or are you trying to put some LEDs in there?

·
Premium Member
52,282 Posts
DenverCruiser said:
I just finished unbinding my CD player thanks to this site, yet I still can't get this map light off! I have circled the entire map light assembly, with a butter knife, and can find no clips of any kind. In fact I can stick it in about a half inch and hit nothing. Any more tips? If I do hit a clip, what then? Thanks.
You stick the knife in no more than 1/8". You're not looking for clips, but to just pop the very outer edge of the bezel loose. It takes very light prying. Use the edge of the knife, not the tip, to gain purchase on a longer part of the surface. You do this at the back of the housing, the part toward the rear seat.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The plastic panel part was simple how do you remove the bulb itself? Are you just suppoosed to slide it out because its kind of hard, there is a metal thingy holding it.
You need to push it in a little, and twist, so that the little notches will slip through the housing. I just got this little project done myself. And don't bother with doing any fancy LEDs or gels to create ambience. I tried blue gel sleeves to cover a replacement 12v bulb. I had to take it off. It just looks really funky with everything else all orange. I still cringe at the choice of interior panel lighting....

·
Premium Member
52,282 Posts
I believe it's a mini-bayonett bulb. It should have two little protrusions on the sides of the base. A little counter clockwise half turn should take it right out. Get a flashlight and take a close look at it and you'll see. As I remember, the bulb holder is pretty flimsy so go lightly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the tips and links everyone- I replaced mine today finally.

Again, the knife only needs to go in about an 1/8" to pry off the plastic bezzel. You also need to use some muscle to get it to pop down. Once that is done, you need to kinda push the bezzel out and down to get the other clip on the one side. The back side is a breeze once this is done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.