Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this time I bought an IS300, last time it was a lease, so I am ready for some personalization!

I bought an e-shift because my wife needs to drive the car on the weekends when I take the truck to the race track with our Karts.

My question for anyone who knows is:

Is there a way to change the manner in which the e-shift operates. My pet peeve with the e-shift is the way it downshifts even when you do not call for such a gear change.

Any aftermarket products available for this?

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
The only aftermarket product that will effect the shifting is the TBKO shift kit. You can get one for about $150 brand new. Everyone who has one can tell a difference.

Unless you want to spend big bucks on a tranny upgrade or a valve body upgrade, just get the TBKO. They usually work well with a grounding kit also.

·
Registered
603 Posts
TBKO shift kit won't do what the man is asking. There's no such product that'll let you have complete control over the transmission on an E-shift.

At some point you should have realized if you want complete control over shifting, you should've bought a manual, or shell out enough money for a M3 SMG.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I think what isteve is refering to isn't how it shifts, althought I do recommend the TBKO shift kit, but why it down-shifts.

So, what he wants, if e-shift is in 3rd gear, he wants it to stay in 3rd gear, not automatically down-shift if he floors it or something.

I don't think this can be done. Only other option is if you gate shift.

-crontab -l

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Well you guys are right, I didn't read enough. His question was "Is there any way to change the way the E-shift operates?" So naturally my response was TBKO........

until he goes on to say the downshifting is a pet peeve.

trade for a manual

·
Registered
487 Posts
:roll: if there was only first gear in the e-shift so i can burn some rubbah!

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
evo8 said:
:roll: if there was only first gear in the e-shift so i can burn some rubbah!
The car does start in first in E-Shift.

The gear number showed on the display is the highest gear that the trans will go into. If it says "2", it will still start in "1", and then shift to "2" at the shift point. It just won't go higher than "2" until you push the button to tell it to go into "3", etc.

·
Registered
487 Posts
bartkat said:

The gear number showed on the display is the highest gear that the trans will go into. If it says "2", it will still start in "1", and then shift to "2" at the shift point. It just won't go higher than "2" until you push the button to tell it to go into "3", etc.
it starts in 1st but shows 2 on the screen? will try that

·
Registered
427 Posts
Lexus figured through testing that if the e-shift started out in 1 - and gave the driver total control of the 1-2 shift it would be useless for every day driving. There would be a ton of traction problems and alot of idiot drivers redlining..'oops i should shift now' in the 1-2 transition. 1st gear is super short. The car was built for the every-day joe schmo's who wanted somewhat of a sporty driving experience - but didnt know how to or care to race a car.
There are some options to make the 1-2 transition a little quicker, but the most promisng sounds like the rumour of the srt trans ecu.

ps. I'm just regurgitating information that i read awhile back in a similar thread.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
evo8 said:
bartkat said:

it starts in 1st but shows 2 on the screen? will try that
That is correct.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
has anyone actually tried downshifting into 1st?
its EXTREMELY abrupt.

if lexus were to give us the ability to go 2-1 through E-shift, im guessing there'll be tons of complaints regarding that.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
blueIS said:
has anyone actually tried downshifting into 1st?
its EXTREMELY abrupt.

if lexus were to give us the ability to go 2-1 through E-shift, im guessing there'll be tons of complaints regarding that.
There's really no need to. 2 gives plenty of power, and if you want to acclerate, you can still force the 2 - 1 downshift by pushing on the gas pedal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all who have tried to answer the question at hand. I gather from the responses that there is no known way to get the job done.

I guess this posses a challenge then for some resourceful individual or company. The challenge in particular is to get into the firmware that resides on the transmision's ECU.

1st task would be to determine if the shifting routine is in a memory area which can be re-written. If not then a new IC woudl be required, which of coarse would cost development dollars. My hope is that the routine can be downloaded.

Does anybody here know what functions are addressable through software download? What communication protocol is used between the ECU and the laptop?

·
Registered
21 Posts
i think the reason why people believe we don't have first gear in e-shift is not only does it not display a "1", but also because the shift is so smooth you can't always feel it. i did a little testing and found out that we can control the shift point, but be prepared to haul ass if you get the timing right.

from a stop in "2" give it some gas, there is a point where the car will feel heavy, (that is when it will shift automatically to 2nd) give it more gas right then, before it shifts, and you will catch first gear. the more gas you give it after that ,obviosly, it will fly.

HOWEVER, don't floor it until you know you are still in first, try it a few times and get comfortable with your timing, otherwise if you didnt catch 1st you'll red line it in second.

hopefully you all can get the same control, just test it a few times, let me know if it works for you as well

1 - 16 of 16 Posts