Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced 2 coils and decided to change my plugs while the throttle body was off.

I ask because my car is running richer now then it did previously. I went to a .28" gap. I KNOW the gap was bigger than that on the plugs that were in it at the dyno/tune.

Should I go back to the previous gap size or get it re-tuned( Keep in mind I got it tuned in Huntsville, about 2 hrs away)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty bad at sometime, it'll peg at 10. I think it has to be more than just the plugs...

Anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would get it retuned asap!
it will be. The Haltech will get sent back to them come Monday since they believe the issue it the communications chip. Which is stopping me from connecting ANY laptop to. Tried my newer(xp based) laptop, nothing. Tried an old windows 98 w. serial port built in. and nothing. That was the same one Andy got to connect to an e11 not but a day before...

Then I'll get it street tuned

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Pretty bad at sometime, it'll peg at 10. I think it has to be more than just the plugs...

Anyone have an idea?
Well, it was pretty cold when you had the car tuned. It's now much warmer and as the weather gets warmer, you will see your tune get richer. When the air is cold and dense, it requires more fuel to maintain the theoretical 14.7 to 1 ratio. If you learn how to set your EMS to use feedback from your 02 sensor, your EMS will correct for atmospheric changes on it's own. However, you need to work with someone who knows what they are doing to set the parameters correctly so you don't blow you motor when you go into boost and need a richer mixture.

Changing the gap on your plugs alone will not affect your tune enough that you feel the need to 'retune'. Usually, changing plug gap results in an increase or decrease in misfires or problems of misfiring under boost, or correcting a misfire under boost.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eric, you're right, in a way. It's REALLY cold today, in the 30s up here. And it still runs REALLY rich. I believe the map is just needing to be adjusted here and there. But I'll have to get my Haltech fixed before being able to even connect to a laptop :suspiciou

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Usually you tune the car regardless of what temperature it is outside. Then you use the temperature compensation map to correct for the A/F difference. Hotter temps = less dense air = less fuel to achieve stoich. Colder = dense air = more fuel to achieve same stoich. Pretty much every standalone will have this function built in. If you know for sure the map is good, then there should be no need to do a complete retune. Just adjust the temp comp settings. At least that how I'm getting it to work in my AEM. Then again, I'm new to tuning standalones :)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Usually you tune the car regardless of what temperature it is outside. Then you use the temperature compensation map to correct for the A/F difference. Hotter temps = less dense air = less fuel to achieve stoich. Colder = dense air = more fuel to achieve same stoich. Pretty much every standalone will have this function built in. If you know for sure the map is good, then there should be no need to do a complete retune. Just adjust the temp comp settings. At least that how I'm getting it to work in my AEM. Then again, I'm new to tuning standalones :)
Yes, you are correct. There should be tables that control this for coolant temp based enrichments, Intake air temp enrichments. Michael, when you get your laptop to connect, bring it down here and we'll play with it a little and I'll show you how to make changes yourself so you don't have to pay a tuner. You'll be forking out big bucks to have a tuner make driveability adjustments!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, you are correct. There should be tables that control this for coolant temp based enrichments, Intake air temp enrichments. Michael, when you get your laptop to connect, bring it down here and we'll play with it a little and I'll show you how to make changes yourself so you don't have to pay a tuner. You'll be forking out big bucks to have a tuner make driveability adjustments!
That works Eric, I'll let you know once I get it back from Haltech..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts