Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here, hey fellas how is it going,,, I recently bought an IS300 with a bad motor. I was told that the engine sucked in water and hydro locked. The crank does not turn. More than likely a rod(s) got bent. My 2 options are to either get a complete replace motor, GTE likely, or attempt to fix the 69k miles GE motor thats in the car now. I know someone who has a good set of stock GTE pistions and rods for cheap. Will these turbo pistons and rods fit the current bore of the N/A block that I have now? Any input on this would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Take it apart and decide from there! If there is extensive damage to the block, crank etc then just trash it and start fresh with a new GTE. If its repairable then its your call... I have GE w/GTE pistons, rods, rings.

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
why rebuild a motor that was hydro locked? if it doesnt turn over by hand at all im sure a rod broke and smashed into the cylinder wall. i wouldnt chance it, i would just get a gte block and be done with it.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Newbie here, hey fellas how is it going,,, I recently bought an IS300 with a bad motor. I was told that the engine sucked in water and hydro locked. The crank does not turn. More than likely a rod(s) got bent. My 2 options are to either get a complete replace motor, GTE likely, or attempt to fix the 69k miles GE motor thats in the car now. I know someone who has a good set of stock GTE pistions and rods for cheap. Will these turbo pistons and rods fit the current bore of the N/A block that I have now? Any input on this would be highly appreciated.
Hydro locked? was the car flooded? Air intake is pretty high.

·
Registered
67 Posts
why rebuild a motor that was hydro locked? if it doesnt turn over by hand at all im sure a rod broke and smashed into the cylinder wall. i wouldnt chance it, i would just get a gte block and be done with it.
When a engine gets hyrdo locked, a rod doesnt have to be smached up and damaging other components. Im a mercedes-benz service tech and when we have very heavy rains here in florida, its common to see a few hydro locked engines. what ends up happening is the water gets into the cylinder and when the piston comes up for what would normally be a compression stroke, the non-compressable water gets sqeazed and bends the rod.(possibly damaging just the rod) the engine may not be turning because the rod is pressed up against the side of the block or the crank or something like that. Have you tried turning the engine backwards to see if it will turn at all? Yes I know your never supposed to trun an engine backwards, but if the engine is screwed already, I could give you and idea of what kind of damage has been done (one bent rod, a few bent rods, or if parts have exploded from the stress). a semi-easy way to find out exactly what happend and how much damage is done would be to remove the oil pans and see exactly what happend. I have seen a large number of hydro locked engines that are repairable, so it all depends how much daamge was done.

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
i am Lexus/Toyota/Scion tech and i know what hydro lock is. and here in WI the hydro locked motors i have seen that cant be turned over with a wrench on the crank is pretty much done. fix it if you want but it will never be the same and I wouldnt chance it if your going to mod the engine. and i wasnt saying its totaly junk but i certainly wouldnt waste my time and money in that kind of a motor if im going to mod it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have read the -GE and -GTE conrods are the same,
is that right?
So which poweroutput is possible with the -GTE internals?

Or is the difference just up to the pistons?

The engine block, crank, and connecting rods of the 2JZ-GE and 2JZ-GTE are the same with the exception that the 2JZ-GTE has oil spray bars installed in the block to aid in cooling the pistons.
found here: Click here for Link

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
While taking apart the damaged motor, I have considering to go with a non vvti GTE motor. I mean, I didn't buy the IS(5 speed) to keep it stock...So far, I've gathered that the non vvti motors are best to get because they are easier to tune especially when a big single snail is feeding it with more than stock boost.
A few questions for the Gurus:
When doing this swap, will the GE engine mount brackets work with a GTE block?
Will the factory Gauges still work?
Should I reuse my stock flywheel from the GE motor?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
While taking apart the damaged motor, I have decided to go with a non vvti GTE motor. I mean, I didn't buy the IS(5 speed) to keep it stock...So far, I've gathered that the OBDI TT motors are best to get because they are easier to tune especially when a big single snail is feeding it with more than stock boost.
A few questions for the Gurus:
When doing this swap, will the GE engine mount brackets work with a GTE block?
Will the factory Gauges still work?
Should I reuse my stock flywheel from the GE motor?
Thanks.
The engine mount brackets will not work they are different on the vvti engines you can have something custom made or find a vvti gte block and put a non vvti head on it to get a non vvti motor that can use the motor mounts and sit correctly.

you will probably have to run a ge and gte ecu in parallel to keep all your gauges working while giving you proper timing and fuel control

no you should not use your ge flywheel or trans the trans will break really fast if you plan on having a decent amount of power

all and all its a pita and will take alot of work but a few members have done it japs finest has as xve.....somthing has just search and you will find a few

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.