Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some searching but haven't found what I'm looking for...

It looks like i've finally decided on a new IS250 as my next car. With the reduction of MSRP by approximately $6k in Canada, level of standard equipment and Toyota quality, it's hard to argue the value of this vehicle.

Especially when a VW Jetta GLI/4 Door GTI is more expensive! (up here anyway; they're 38k OTD)

My only gripe is the powerplant leaves a bit to be desired (especially in auto). With the dyno results posted of aftermarket exhaust manifolds, a simple $1000 upgrade can bring it over 230hp/220tq. Brilliant.

This leads me to my next question. Should I buy an 08 model? or wait until the end of the year for an early 09 model? Is there speculation in any exterior/interior/powerplant changes?

Thanks,

·
Registered
423 Posts
I doubt there's any BIG changes, maybe small ones, which is typical for every year. Your not gonna see 100 more HP on the 250 or anything. It's up to you whether you want a 08 or 09. If you can't wait, get the 08. Lol. : )

·
Registered
2 Posts
There has been no information on the 2009 isx50..I was wondering if anyone knew around what time they start leaking information on the next year model?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 2009 Lexus IS 350 coupe is one of those cars that we expected to show up years ago. It's no secret that Lexus was targeting the BMW 3 Series with the IS lineup, so the lack of a coupe variant has been a little surprising. Although no prototypes have been spotted yet, a report in the trade publication Automotive News says to expect to see the IS 350 coupe by mid-2008. A hardtop convertible is expected to follow a year later.(edmunds)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I bet bluetooth becomes standard in 09. It's becoming very popular even in entry level cars and to require a $2500 upgrade for it is shortsighted.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Firm info on the model year changes for 08 wasn't out until the June/July time frame in 07, though the changes were very minor at the time. I'd be surprised if there's anything huge for 09 though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Firm info on the model year changes for 08 wasn't out until the June/July time frame in 07, though the changes were very minor at the time. I'd be surprised if there's anything huge for 09 though.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. Toyota typically operates on a 5-year lifecycle, and the IS will be entering year 4 in 09. I would be very surprised if there are NOT significant changes, such as a minor facelift to the front and rear and some juggling of options.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I don't really consider slightly different front/rear fascias to be significant changes... Nor switching which options come in which package...I was talking things like significant powertrain changes, a new nav system that moves into this century for pricing/features, etc...

·
Registered
6 Posts
...I was talking things like..... a new nav system that moves into this century for pricing/features, etc...
Dream on! (Unless the Toyota industrial spies can steal the Acura software!)

:jawDrop:

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
*shrug* it's true... even the G35 has offered realtime traffic for a couple years now, let alone even cheaper/lower end cars

As to the original poster, I'd imagine they're looking for AWD living up in Canada, which rules out an IS350... and at least back when I looked last year there wasn't much price difference from a barely-used IS350 to a new one (which is why I bought new)- that might've changed I suppose, but consider that most IS350 owners paid the $6000 higher prices so it seems unlikely they'd resell it for anywhere near what the now-cheaper 250s go for new (which'd be another problem specific to Canada)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lots of great comments everyone, thank you.

Knightshade, you hit the nail on the head regarding CA pricing as used IS350's are still in the mid 40's plus range. Used IS250's are listed higher then a brand new IS! (that will change eventually). 350 power is appealing but I can't stand driving automatic...

In terms of CA weather, i would say almost every city including Toronto would benefit from AWD. Here in Vancouver it's extremely mild with an honest 2 weeks of snowfall per year (and usually washed away by next day). I'm okay with RWD...

Thanks to everyone for their input. I would consider a minor facelift as a fairly significant change (as it would have an impact on resale value)... I will wait a few months for any upcoming announcements with the plan of factory ordering my 09 late this year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lots of great comments everyone, thank you.

Knightshade, you hit the nail on the head regarding CA pricing as used IS350's are still in the mid 40's plus range. Used IS250's are listed higher then a brand new IS! (that will change eventually). 350 power is appealing but I can't stand driving automatic...

In terms of CA weather, i would say almost every city including Toronto would benefit from AWD. Here in Vancouver it's extremely mild with an honest 2 weeks of snowfall per year (and usually washed away by next day). I'm okay with RWD...

Thanks to everyone for their input. I would consider a minor facelift as a fairly significant change (as it would have an impact on resale value)... I will wait a few months for any upcoming announcements with the plan of factory ordering my 09 late this year.
any news of the changes for 2009?
i'm debating on getting one now or wait for an 09

·
Registered
348 Posts
I bought mine last month. Dealer told me no major upgrade expected in '09. Considering US pricing pressure, I doubt MSRP will go up in '09. There is a 500$ incentive on the IS250 right now.

Take a look at the g35 too. It has 4500 cash incentive going for it. The Germans still haven't moved on prices, so I can't recommend them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting, as I'm considering getting an IS myself sometime at the end of this year, so I'd be in a similar dilemma. Great comments by the way; I'll keep 'em in mind when I finally get mine :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm willing to bet US prices will go up. Many companies have made a mid year price increase, and they can't keep on subsidizing US prices in the face of a declining dollar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey, also from Vancouver and was debating to wait or not as I become fully financially stable in August.

my question was does anybody think they'll take out the sports tuned or x package for the IS250 RWD. Cuz the suspension and the bigger rims is what I really want.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Talked to my dealer yesterday and I'm special ordering a '09 IS 350 (I want the Mark Levinson:) )for $1500 over invoice and did some paperwork with the options I want.Still too early to order,though.
There will be some minor changes in the '09s..
I just can't see buying a '08 which will be a year old in Sept.Especially when I can buy an '09 for $1500 over invoice.Even if the '08 is bought at invoice,the $1500 and more is made up easily when trading or selling in the future.
Wait till Sept so you can see if there are any model refresh changes you like more on the '09s.
They'll always be '08s available and you'll most likely get a better discount when the '09s are available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good advice on the 08 and 09's. I'll wait till the 09's come out. Thx.

Talked to my dealer yesterday and I'm special ordering a '09 IS 350 (I want the Mark Levinson:) )for $1500 over invoice and did some paperwork with the options I want.Still too early to order,though.
There will be some minor changes in the '09s..
I just can't see buying a '08 which will be a year old in Sept.Especially when I can buy an '09 for $1500 over invoice.Even if the '08 is bought at invoice,the $1500 and more is made up easily when trading or selling in the future.
Wait till Sept so you can see if there are any model refresh changes you like more on the '09s.
They'll always be '08s available and you'll most likely get a better discount when the '09s are available.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts