Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.honda-acura.net/forum/Forum27/HTML/000841.html

oh man....its calling me, its calling me.....the supra. i'm sure an m3 can wait a year....man a SUPRA...taht would be NICE. and for less money too....how many of you think it would be a better idea to get a supra now and sell it in a year for an m3 instead of getting the m3 now? i dunno...its really tempting me....(i'd get a used, 93-95)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Originally posted by mrclam:
http://www.honda-acura.net/forum/Forum27/HTML/000841.html

oh man....its calling me, its calling me.....the supra. i'm sure an m3 can wait a year....man a SUPRA...taht would be NICE. and for less money too....how many of you think it would be a better idea to get a supra now and sell it in a year for an m3 instead of getting the m3 now? i dunno...its really tempting me....(i'd get a used, 93-95)
Give us some more info on this Supra. I love those cars. My friend had one back in 1996 and he liked the fact that everyone would stare at it. It definitely is an attention getter. They are very reliable too. However, the paint on the front air dam gets chipped very easily and the paint on the rear bumper sometimes fades into a shade that is slighly different than the rest of the car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just wait for the M3 it's going to be much faster than a supra. The M3 is going to do 0-60 in 4.8sec's. Imagine once you modify the car what results you will get,but remember if you have an IS300 keep it and get a M3. That's what I'm doing.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think mrclam is referring to a used 1997 M3. Not the new one.

Originally posted by ISWOODSIDE:
Just wait for the M3 it's going to be much faster than a supra. The M3 is going to do 0-60 in 4.8sec's. Imagine once you modify the car what results you will get,but remember if you have an IS300 keep it and get a M3. That's what I'm doing.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think he is talking about a used M3, e36 version. If I were you mrclam, I would get the Supra, unless you want a sedan. I almost had a chance to get a Supra SE before, but I didn't because it was slightly more expensive than I really can afford. I should have wait and get more money to buy that car instead of the Eclipse.
The cool thing about the Supra is you can easily get to 400+ hp with just a few bolt on parts and you will be one of the fastest cars on the street. And it handles nice too, better than M3, although the steering feedback is probably not as precise.
Let us know if you decide to go with a Supra, because that will be a really nice car to own.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think i want to go with the supra for a year, because i do want a sedan, but not necesarily right now. i can live with a high performance car coupe for a year =)

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I believe there was a magazine comparo (in Motor Trend?) a long time ago between the MkIV Supra and the E36 M3. I don't know the details of it, but I'm guessing they found many similarities between the two.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Screw the M3....supra all the way. You will have power withdrawl if you mod the supra then go to the M3, trust me on this. if no mods...i'd still take the supra though.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well the m3 is no slouch, but its definitely not as fast as te supra. the one i'm really looking at right now is 93....and basically i'd have to get an automatic turbo(i dont' think i can shift well enough to handle a manual and get the manual to go faster than an auto, plus the auto keeps the turbo constantly spooled).....there are many similiarities between the cars but i don't like the fact that it is two doors, so i'm thinking to get the supra, have my fun(it's a car that's great to own at least once in your life) and then get something more practical(the m3, a great daily driver/sedan)

·
Registered
262 Posts
It's actually better to get the auto than the manual with a 1993 turbo supra. That's because the 1993 6-speeds had some problems with balky shifting between 1st and 2nd gear.
Toyota fixed the problem for 1994. Toyota claimed a 5.6 second 0-60 time for the 1993 supra turbo auto.

Originally posted by mrclam:
well the m3 is no slouch, but its definitely not as fast as te supra. the one i'm really looking at right now is 93....and basically i'd have to get an automatic turbo(i dont' think i can shift well enough to handle a manual and get the manual to go faster than an auto, plus the auto keeps the turbo constantly spooled).....there are many similiarities between the cars but i don't like the fact that it is two doors, so i'm thinking to get the supra, have my fun(it's a car that's great to own at least once in your life) and then get something more practical(the m3, a great daily driver/sedan)

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Definitely the Supra, not that the M3's not a good car. But the Supra is hard core sports car man. I drove a 96 TT 6 spd a while back, damn thing had over 450 hp (and you could feel em all). It's a monster I tell ya !!!
And all for around $45K (brand new with all the mods). I figure now you can get it for almost half that, but I'm not sure.
Supposedly a Super Supra, based on the new SC430, is due in 2002. It'll have an all aluminum V8 producing in excess of 400hp (without mods). But it's rumored to sticker around $100K (exotic supercar territory).
I'm sure it'll live up to it's reputation, or even create a new standard for Toyota.

eagerly waiting for the 4000/4300GT
black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
442 Posts
If toyota was smart they would match the price of the new NSX. Since the NSX is rumored to get a V-8 and be priced a lot cheaper. I think it was around 50k i heard, but not too sure about it. Plus if they are going to be releasing the 4000/4300 GT in Japan they have to compete with the R35 skylines also which i have no clue about how much they are. HOPEFULLY toyota won't make it in the 100K range...might as well get that Turbo Porche thats like 114K or whatever.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i think no matter hwhat i'm going to get an auto if i take the supra route, its stillf ast and i know i can't shift well with 320hp at the helm

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I believe the current R34 V-Spec is around $50,000 if you buy it over there. If you buy it over here, then it will cost you the same as a brand new NSX-T. I think it will be kind of hard to keep up with the Skyline GTR, but it is worth a shot. Not even the Supra was close on beating the skyline, especially once they are modified. I believe the Skyline GT-R engine was voted the best Japanese engine ever build.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
Daniel
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing