Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Is there a CF hood out there that can be opened like the OEM hood?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
if you do a search, you will find a few topics about this
yes there is
the quality of the hood depends on the price you wanna pay
you can get the cheap VIS hood but fitment/weave can vary from extremely poor to ok (luck of the draw)
then there are others like DGmotorsports and TRD that are of better quality but more $$$

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
almost all aftermarket hoods will come with a latch.

i assume by your question you do not want to go with hood pins, so you are looking for one with a factory style latch??

like i said, most or all of them will come with one, but whether or not they will hold going down the highway is a different story. i've heard of a guys CF hood flying off going about 40 or so....... shattered his windshield. be careful!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Even if the maker of the hood says you don't have to use the hood pins, I would still use them. If one flips open for any reason it does pretty good damage to the car, not to mention how dangerous it would be at high speeds. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
i had one of the better VIS carbon fiber hoods. No hood pins. Took it up to 120 or so a few times. No biggie. Its only scary if you dont close it all the way down. Thats where the horror stories come from.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of your feedback.

I think everybody will agree TRD has the best carbon fiber hood for our car. I did a research saw some members do find VIS hoods quality somewhat decent. There's about $1000 difference between the TRD and VIS. Do you guys think it's worth it?

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Tycoon said:

I think everybody will agree TRD has the best carbon fiber hood for our car. I did a research saw some members do find VIS hoods quality somewhat decent. There's about $1000 differetnce between the TRD and VIS. Do you guys think it's worth it?
well, i have the trd hood and i will say the quality is hard to beat
it really depends on what's important to you
some say the VIS gets the job done
and not all VIS are bad, it's just the luck of the draw
one thing i don't like about the VIS, even if it's a good one, is how thick the weave is although most c/f stuff seems to have that thick of a weave
the TRD weave is really fine and tight, the VIS is bigger and looser (hence, why the quality of the weave is inconsistent)

why don't you try something in between like DG motorsports

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ltunedgirl said:
Tycoon said:

I think everybody will agree TRD has the best carbon fiber hood for our car. I did a research saw some members do find VIS hoods quality somewhat decent. There's about $1000 differetnce between the TRD and VIS. Do you guys think it's worth it?
one thing i don't like about the VIS, even if it's a good one, is how thick the weave is although most c/f stuff seems to have that thick of a weave
the TRD weave is really fine and tight, the VIS is bigger and looser (hence, why the quality of the weave is inconsistent)

Do you have a link to the DG motorsports CF hood? Do you have hood pins for your hood?

I am looking at this website.
http://www.i-m-racing.com/lexusis300.html
Yeah, the price difference betwee the TRD and VIS is more like $1200.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Tycoon said:
ltunedgirl said:
Tycoon said:

Do you have a link to the DG motorsports CF hood? Do you have hood pins for your hood?

I am looking at this website.
http://www.i-m-racing.com/lexusis300.html
Yeah, the price difference betwee the TRD and VIS is more like $1200.
no hood pins for my hood...i have been at high speeds and i don't see it vibrate violently...it's got a lot of support structure

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.