Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Before I go any further, I've read probably all the clutch threads here! Very good info but I still have a few other questions.
I'm getting the Fidanza flywheel (best price I've found on it is thmotorsports....any other place cheaper???). Not sure which clutch to go with between the Centerforce or ACT. Mainly for daily driving, sometimes like to get on it a bit on back roads and highways but that's it. Probably won't ever go boost with this IS. Lightly modded (HKS exhaust, SRT intake, Titan Cam Gear).
My clutch is just slipping pretty bad now and want something a lot smoother than what I currently have (stock) and that won't slip. Trying to stay cost effective here but want quality and little to no problems way down down the road!
Please link me to the best place to buy them from price wise also. Looking to buy asap. Thanks!
[email protected]

V.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
When I was researching, I narrowed it down to the same setups you are looking at now. From what I remember, both offered similar characteristics. I read reviews of both clutches, and ended up ordering the Centerforce (CF) back in October. It's been a while since I did my research, but I think the CF didn't have any complaints, and the ACT possibly had a couple. I also asked the opinion of some of the people that went with the CF clutch. If you've read as much as I had read, you should have an idea of which direction you want to go. If you decide to go with the CF, somebody is selling the parts BNIB in the Marketplace.

Remember to pick up the OEM throwout/release bearing, pilot bearing, and a crush washer for your tranny fluid. I went with Redline MT-90 fluid.

I'd like to give you a review, but I STILL haven't had it installed :lol:

·
Registered
124 Posts
i put the dual friction in mine with pretty much same mods fidanza fly, titan gear, mazzuri v2 and y pipe with srt intake and i love this clutch and its very streetable

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm still a big fan of this combo, and it seems to be a general concensus among those who who took the plunge.

This is the set up I'm running:

Fidanza flywheel, Centerforce DF, OEM TO bearing, Redline MT-90 for the tranny, and Mobile 1 in the diff.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I was researching, I narrowed it down to the same setups you are looking at now. From what I remember, both offered similar characteristics. I read reviews of both clutches, and ended up ordering the Centerforce (CF) back in October. It's been a while since I did my research, but I think the CF didn't have any complaints, and the ACT possibly had a couple. I also asked the opinion of some of the people that went with the CF clutch. If you've read as much as I had read, you should have an idea of which direction you want to go. If you decide to go with the CF, somebody is selling the parts BNIB in the Marketplace.

Remember to pick up the OEM throwout/release bearing, pilot bearing, and a crush washer for your tranny fluid. I went with Redline MT-90 fluid.

Thanks for your helpful reply!! Yeah, I've seen where the ACT has had a few issues but IMO not enough to discourage me from buying. If I'm right, they're a bit 'cheaper' (price wise) than the CF. Also, do I have to pick up the OEM throwout and pilot bearing? Def. getting the Redline MT-90 fluid as I've heard good things about it.

i put the dual friction in mine with pretty much same mods fidanza fly, titan gear, mazzuri v2 and y pipe with srt intake and i love this clutch and its very streetable
Thanks for your reply also!
Does it shift smoother now, both down and upshifting? Easier to take off faster/smoother?

I'm still a big fan of this combo, and it seems to be a general concensus among those who who took the plunge.

This is the set up I'm running:

Fidanza flywheel, Centerforce DF, OEM TO bearing, Redline MT-90 for the tranny, and Mobile 1 in the diff.
Same questions to you as above^^!!
Thanks in advance!

V.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
From what I remember, I think the OEM bearings are higher quality, and will last longer. For a job like this, I would spend the extra money and put in quality parts from the start. You should be fine with whichever clutch you decide on.

Reactions: MrGregski

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Hopefully I can help you take care of that in the near future :)

As for the bearings...I'd definitely get the OE ones. You won't have to second guess the quality there. You can save a few dimes by buying them from the toyota dealer. Just ask for any late model year (say '98) Toyota Supra NA and it'll drop right in.

Are the flywheels you guys are using the Supra NA single mass units? You'll need the shorter flywheel bolts then. The flywheel bolts are actually a non-reusable item per the manual but tons of people have reused them without issue. Just don't forget the loctite.

Reactions: rvalero

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
Hopefully I can help you take care of that in the near future :)
Haha, if the other guy doesn't take care of it soon, I'll definitely be adding to your mod fund. Thanks again for helping me out over the weekend.

Are the flywheels you guys are using the Supra NA single mass units? You'll need the shorter flywheel bolts then. The flywheel bolts are actually a non-reusable item per the manual but tons of people have reused them without issue. Just don't forget the loctite.
Are you referring to OEM flywheels or flywheels made for the NA Supra? AFAIK, my Fidanza is IS300 specific and doesn't need the extended slave cylinder. It also comes with it's own bolts.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Are you referring to OEM flywheels or flywheels made for the NA Supra? AFAIK, my Fidanza is IS300 specific and doesn't need the extended slave cylinder. It also comes with it's own bolts.
Scratch what I mentioned then if your flywheel comes with bolts. The bolts are almost a $60 proposition from the dealer so it's good to see that they come with them.

Off topic, but I'd be interested in your review Rey of the arms. Did you make one?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ive had the Fidanza flywheel and Centerforce clutch combo in my car for about three years/65k miles now and i must say its done me well. In fact i love it. It takes some getting used to at first, as i will engage right away espically in the rain the tires will break loose on you at first. I can guarantee you that you wont be disappointed if you go for the Fidanza/Centerforce combo

·
Registered
295 Posts
I fell that my shifts are smoother and more crisp.

I also did the CDC mod and went with the Ralco quickshifter when I swapped over.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
I fell that my shifts are smoother and more crisp.

I also did the CDC mod and went with the Ralco quickshifter when I swapped over.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention :lol:

Did you remove the CDD before or after the clutch/flywheel install? I remember my shifts being smoother after removing the CDD. I also remember my shifts getting smoother after cleaning my MAF. Thanks for your review.

For the guys with the CFDF/Fidanza setup, is driving in traffic a lot more of a PITA (compared to stock) due to the lighter flywheel?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention :lol:

Did you remove the CDD before or after the clutch/flywheel install? I remember my shifts being smoother after removing the CDD. I also remember my shifts getting smoother after cleaning my MAF. Thanks for your review.

For the guys with the CFDF/Fidanza setup, is driving in traffic a lot more of a PITA (compared to stock) due to the lighter flywheel?
LOL you got me good on the 'CDC' mod :blush:

I did the CDD mod during the clutch swap.

No issues in traffic compare to stock to report here

Reactions: rvalero

·
Registered
295 Posts
what were the issues with the ACT clutch?
When I was researching my clutch set up I came across many threads where people with having chattering issues with their ACT.

Correct me of I'm wrong because I don't speak from experience with an ACT set up :p

·
Registered
113 Posts
When I was researching my clutch set up I came across many threads where people with having chattering issues with their ACT.

Correct me of I'm wrong because I don't speak from experience with an ACT set up :p
Clutch Chatter occurs when unsprung disc are used. ACT gives the option to buy most of their HD clutches with sprung or unsprung centers. A sprung center(disc) clutch is more streetable; springs eliminate chatter during normal driving and take offs. For a car that sees the track every weekend, an unsprung clutch would be more suitable because of its agressiveness on take offs; expect chatter

·
Registered
164 Posts
When my crappy Clutchmasters gave out I switched to the Centerforce. I've been rockin a Dual Friction for about 15k on my Unorthodox flywheel and I freakin love it. It's smooth and stock feeling when you want it to be and when you get on it, it will grab hard and go. I took out the CDD also and it solved my engagement problem at high rpm when I dump it between gears. I've had ACT clutches in other cars as well and loved them too. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
fastfox, I was reading one of your posts from back in 2006. You mentioned that pedal pressure became REALLY light after the swap. Has it stiffened up significantly, or does it still feel very light?

·
Registered
164 Posts
The one back in 06 was my Clutchmasters one. Yes as time went on it did stiffen up, but no more than usual. All clutches will do that over time. My Centerforce has stiffened up a bit too, but it still feels stock and it not burdensome at all. I think it has to do with their counterweight system. great clutch.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
I just got my Fidanza/DF combo installed yesterday. It was a whole lot of fun :lol:. You weren't kidding about the clutch pedal being really easy to push in. So far, it seems smoother than stock, and the engagement point seems to be about the same. It's very slippable, and Zero chatter thus far, but I get a lot more tranny whine from my B&M when my RPM's are below 2k. I can't wait until it's broken in.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.