Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am setting up a 5.1 dd system. I have the Focal Utopias 165ws in the kickpanels and on the rear deck. I know that the center channel is a woofer/tweet combo that has to be timbre matched to the rest of the speakers.

Can a 6 1/2" woofer/tweet fit from the same set from above into the center of our dash or do I have to get the 5 1/4" woofer/tweet set from the 136w's? Cutting and fabricating an enclosure would be no problem. Has anyone done this and could they please post on how much room there is, if any, in the center of the dash...thanks.

·
8,743 Posts
generally, you want to use the same speaker as in the front doors, as well as the same amount of power. Ideally, a true 5.1 system would use matching speakers and power for all 5 locations.

This is one i worried about for a long time while doing my dts system. I really wanted the center channel, but with the stock nav, and alpine units up front, i didnt have any good places to mount the center. It would have require alot of fabricating to complete. And at that point, i had already gone several thousand over budget, and wasnt ready to drop any more cash. So i went without the center and use the processor to run a bi-phantom center channel ( mixes the two fronts and creates a virtual center). In my opinion, for movies it sounds fine, and the majority of the things i listen to are in stereo only. So for me it was a very acceptable comprimise. I did have them run wiring for a center from the brains up to the dash, so i could add one later if i want.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts