Lexus IS Forum banner

Celica GTS's Steering Wheel on the IS

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  yamaot 
#1 ·
I saw this very nice GTS in the LA car show. This steering wheel is way better than the one on the IS300 in my opinion. Does anyone think it's possible to swap the GTS wheel on to the IS300? I don't mind the toyota logo on the wheel. Thanks.

#2 ·
Originally posted by yamaot:
I saw this very nice GTS in the LA car show. This steering wheel is way better than the one on the IS300 in my opinion. Does anyone think it's possible to swap the GTS wheel on to the IS300? I don't mind the toyota logo on the wheel. Thanks.
No. GTS wheel has not E-shift buttons. It's not possible to switch them. Maybe with some modding, but I'd just keep the stock steering wheel.

------------------
K.P. :)

#3 ·
I'm pretty sure the GTS has E shift buttons if you get the auto.

That's what I remember when my bro got his GT Celica.

#9 ·
Thanks guys even though you guys didn't answer my question.....

no flame war intended, just I was so impressed with the celica's steering wheel design and wandering why IS can't have the same.

to be honest, I am not that crazy about IS300's interior. Especially the steering wheel which gave me a bad impression when I first sit into the show floor car. Even till now, as my love to IS300 grow more and more, I just wish they have a different steering wheel.

So JW, what as the answer people gave you? what's the name of the topic? I want to check it out.

thank again guys, am not asking for opinions here (therefore no flame needed), just whether it's possible or not.

peace

#11 ·
I got no help as well, but I think the Celica's steering wheel should theoretically fit w/o any problems. All you need to do is hook up the E-shift buttons, the horn, the cruise control, and the airbag. The physical connection should be the same as well...no point in making different-sized nuts and bolts for each car.

The IS300's steering wheel is an old design and probably plucked from the parts bin. The wheel can be found in the 1st gen RAV4's, 6th gen Celicas, and the MkIV Supra. As for me, I sometimes get turned-off by the IS300's interior, but other times, I think it's a refreshing change from the majority of other interior designs. I think Lexus would get more customers by redesigning the IS300's interior w/ the style found on the other Lexus models, especially the Optitron gauge cluster (some 3-series owners have expressed the opinion that if the interior of the IS300 wasn't so "ugly," they would have a hard time not considering it). However, it would take the edge off the IS300.

If you can pull off replacing the steering wheel, be sure to post pics and comments and instructions.
I just hope that the steering wheel isn't overpriced.

[This message has been edited by JW (edited January 23, 2001).]

#13 ·
JW, Thanks for the long answer.

As for me, I haven't have a IS300 yet, so it's you I should be hoping to get the instruction from

serious, have you ever want to try it out? Personally I don't think there would be any problem other than that toyota logo. I am going to call Toyota tomorrow to see how much is to order a celica steering wheel, I predict to be somewhere around $500.

I totoally agree with you on the interior. I also wish that lexus could have done a better interior just like all the other Lexus. It's very clear that Lexus being cheap on us by putting virtually every component from Japanese Altezza into this car. Altezza is a $20,000 car for God's sake. What is a 20,000 dollar car's interior doing in a 35,000 car? Even the navigation system, I was kind of hoping to have a touch screen. Guess what? they take EXACTLY the same GPS system from the Altezza with the remote control in the center and put it in the USA market and lie to us that they have try very hard over the course of this year to come up with this.

don't get me wrong, I think Lexus is wonderful as I own 2 Lexus (ES, Rx), but for IS, I just don't think they put too much effort into the interior.

peace

#14 ·
Hmm...it sounds like I own an IS300, doesn't it? I don't, acutally, but I have it considered for my next car (deciding between Celica GT-S, IS300, 325Ci, or ???).

I surmise that the execs at Toyota never originally intended to market the Altezza (which, I suppose, is an economy sports sedan, not a luxury sports sedan, no offense to Altezza [the user]) as a Lexus until someone probably said, "hey, let's try to take on the sports sedan segment." Instead of making another car from scratch, they probably found that the Altezza could be used. As was mentioned before, the Progres was also being considered for the baby Lexus, but it is an ugly design, despite its luxury features. An interior redesign would've meant the need to spend money on R&D (yeah, like ToMoCo doesn't have enough in its coffers, right?). But then again, the IS300 is pretty edgy and uncompromising, so it won't cannabalize ES300 sales. And I think that's what Lexus (of America) was hoping.

More comments:
Recently, Toyota and Lexus seem to want to attract younger customers, so the IS300's interior is appropriately "trendy" for the 18-35 demographic.

The IS300 is seriously not photogenic (mentioned before as well). You have to see it in person to get the full effects of its design. Pictures don't do justice to it, especially for the interior.

#15 ·
Originally posted by JW:

I surmise that the execs at Toyota never originally intended to market the Altezza (which, I suppose, is an economy sports sedan, not a luxury sports sedan, no offense to Altezza [the user]) as a Lexus until someone probably said, "hey, let's try to take on the sports sedan segment." Instead of making another car from scratch, they probably found that the Altezza could be used. As was mentioned before, the Progres was also being considered for the baby Lexus, but it is an ugly design, despite its luxury features. An interior redesign would've meant the need to spend money on R&D (yeah, like ToMoCo doesn't have enough in its coffers, right?). But then again, the IS300 is pretty edgy and uncompromising, so it won't cannabalize ES300 sales. And I think that's what Lexus (of America) was hoping.

Right on! I was thinking exactly the same thing. That's why I shouldn't be so picky about the interior. but the steering wheel............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.