Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weird situation. It should be noted that I am NOT a car guy. I plan on taking the car in for a full diagnostic soon, but I'd like any opinions you have. I have spent the last few hours searching the forums and looking around; but I haven't found anything specific to what I've seen.

Basically my CEL came on a while back, I got it scanned and found it was an O2 Heater malfunction. The scan read that it was B1S1 and B2S1. I let it slide for a few months as I'm broke and my inspection wasn't due. Fast forward to now; my inspection is coming up so I decided to fix the problem. I had the codes cleared by a local mechanic and waited for the CEL to come back. It did come back after about 5 miles of driving; reran the codes and it was the same heater malfunctions.

I bought and replaced those 2 sensors, pulled the battery (more on this later) for about 45 minutes during the install, and put everything back together. I drove it for about 20 miles, and the CEL came back on.

I had it scanned yesterday at a different mechanic, who apparently doesn't have a great scanner. It is now showing a P0420 and P0430 Cat efficiency below threshold set of codes. These are different from the ones it was throwing before.

My questions are:

1) Could this be because I didn't ever clear the original codes correctly (ie: the battery)

2) Does this necessarily mean that I need to replace the other O2s/Cats, or do I need to drive it a while for the new O2s to work properly.

3) Why would it be throwing these codes now and not before?

What is my best/worst case scenario here? I am a broke college student, so $1000+ for new cats basically means my car is going to be undrivable for a few months (since I can't pass inspection) until I can come up with the cash.

Sorry if my post seems all over the place, or I've made any ignorant/stupid assumptions. I honestly don't know much about cars. I had a "car guy" buddy of mine help me install the O2s since the local mechanic wanted $600 to install them. We are sure we got the right parts (actually had to reorder one), and put them in correctly.

Thanks!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi,

I was wondering if you figures out the problem with the CEL codes you were getting

I have the same P0420 and P0430 codes.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Weird situation. It should be noted that I am NOT a car guy. I plan on taking the car in for a full diagnostic soon, but I'd like any opinions you have. I have spent the last few hours searching the forums and looking around; but I haven't found anything specific to what I've seen.

Basically my CEL came on a while back, I got it scanned and found it was an O2 Heater malfunction. The scan read that it was B1S1 and B2S1. I let it slide for a few months as I'm broke and my inspection wasn't due. Fast forward to now; my inspection is coming up so I decided to fix the problem. I had the codes cleared by a local mechanic and waited for the CEL to come back. It did come back after about 5 miles of driving; reran the codes and it was the same heater malfunctions.

I bought and replaced those 2 sensors, pulled the battery (more on this later) for about 45 minutes during the install, and put everything back together. I drove it for about 20 miles, and the CEL came back on.

I had it scanned yesterday at a different mechanic, who apparently doesn't have a great scanner. It is now showing a P0420 and P0430 Cat efficiency below threshold set of codes. These are different from the ones it was throwing before.

My questions are:

1) Could this be because I didn't ever clear the original codes correctly (ie: the battery)

2) Does this necessarily mean that I need to replace the other O2s/Cats, or do I need to drive it a while for the new O2s to work properly.

3) Why would it be throwing these codes now and not before?

What is my best/worst case scenario here? I am a broke college student, so $1000+ for new cats basically means my car is going to be undrivable for a few months (since I can't pass inspection) until I can come up with the cash.

Sorry if my post seems all over the place, or I've made any ignorant/stupid assumptions. I honestly don't know much about cars. I had a "car guy" buddy of mine help me install the O2s since the local mechanic wanted $600 to install them. We are sure we got the right parts (actually had to reorder one), and put them in correctly.

Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.