Lexus IS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey all, I'm fairly new to the forums and this will be my first post, please don't flame me before I get my feet wet D: Anyway I had two questions.

First, I ran my OBDII sensor about a week ago because the CEL came on, and the code came back "0". I tried again with the engine on and it still read "0". I checked the book and it said "0" means I have no codes stored, but the CEL is still on??? I'm stumped, I've never ran a scan that read "0" before on all the cars at my house. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Tags expire in April. Car is an 2003 IS300 5spd.

Second, where do I go to introduce myself? I've been browsing around for quite awhile but the roadside assistance forum seems to be popping up quite often on the search. Is there a specific place where newbies such as myself can go to introduce themselves?

Thanks to all who help! :) I'm loving these forums btw, they're addicting..... O.O

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Hey all, I'm fairly new to the forums and this will be my first post, please don't flame me before I get my feet wet D: Anyway I had two questions.

First, I ran my OBDII sensor about a week ago because the CEL came on, and the code came back "0". I tried again with the engine on and it still read "0". I checked the book and it said "0" means I have no codes stored, but the CEL is still on??? I'm stumped, I've never ran a scan that read "0" before on all the cars at my house. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Tags expire in April. Car is an 2003 IS300 5spd.

Second, where do I go to introduce myself? I've been browsing around for quite awhile but the roadside assistance forum seems to be popping up quite often on the search. Is there a specific place where newbies such as myself can go to introduce themselves?

Thanks to all who help! :) I'm loving these forums btw, they're addicting..... O.O
Welcome to the forum! Sometimes when a CEL is read 0, that may mean the ECM is bad. I would verify that your 7.5A OBD fuse in the kick panel is good and that you have the proper comm link. You are reading while the car is in the "ACC" position right? I know sometimes after a code has been reset recently and you try to scan for a code, it won't let you until you drive a couple hundred miles. Maybe try pulling the negative off the battery for 5 minutes and try again.

As far as introducing yourself, you may want to check out the IS owners forums and start a new thread.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sometimes when a CEL is read 0, that may mean the ECM is bad. I would verify that your 7.5A OBD fuse in the kick panel is good and that you have the proper comm link. You are reading while the car is in the "ACC" position right? I know sometimes after a code has been reset recently and you try to scan for a code, it won't let you until you drive a couple hundred miles. Maybe try pulling the negative off the battery for 5 minutes and try again.

As far as introducing yourself, you may want to check out the IS owners forums and start a new thread.
Hey there! Thanks! Feels nice to get a response instead of just sitting here and reading responses haha. Yeah i have the proper comm link and the fuse is fine, its been about a week since I ran the second scan, maybe I'll try again and if that doesn't work I'll disconnect the battery. Thanks for the info and help!

·
Registered
3,830 Posts

O.O
I have the exact same problem. I put the car back to stock and it has a CEL. I ran the scanner but it comes back "No codes found" yet the light is still on. I double checked all my smaller fuses. Any larger ones I should try?

Does a CEL on with no codes really mean a bad ECM?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I have the exact same problem. I put the car back to stock and it has a CEL. I ran the scanner but it comes back "No codes found" yet the light is still on. I double checked all my smaller fuses. Any larger ones I should try?

Does a CEL on with no codes really mean a bad ECM?
One possibility is a bad ECM. I'm assuming your car is turned on but not running when you're checking with the scanner(as it should be), right? does the scanner link up and detect the car's computer?

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
One possibility is a bad ECM. I'm assuming your car is turned on but not running when you're checking with the scanner(as it should be), right? does the scanner link up and detect the car's computer?
Yes the key is turned to right before "start".

The scanner says "communicating with vehicle" and then after 10 seconds it shows "0 codes found"

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes the key is turned to right before "start".

The scanner says "communicating with vehicle" and then after 10 seconds it shows "0 codes found"
I also tried unplugging the battery for 5min and then ran my scanner again, still getting a "zero" read. I'll wait another 100 miles or so to run the scanner again. The weird thing is that the CEL went away as the scanner was trying to read the code, which is weird because I never touched the erase button. I'm pretty sure that'll come up again, but just thought I should add every bit of detail I can, my hood was also open when I was doing this.

Also updating about the scanner, its an Innova model, kinda old but gets the job done. I also met up with another is300 owner, and we discussed the problem I was having with the CEL, he said that I should try switching the gas caps, said mine had signs of leakage and might be the prime suspect in this whole CEL investigation. I'll probably be able to use my uncles gas cap, so I'll update on that when I get the chance.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I wonder if instead of a PXXXX code, you have an SRS, CXXXX(chassis) code, or BXXXX(body) code. It's either that, the software on the OBD scanner isn't reading, or the ECM isn't talking.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
How do we check these codes? Am I going to have to visit lexus?
That I can't answer for sure, sorry. Maybe an advanced scanner(OBDII) or the dealer. The codes we commonly see are P codes(powertrain). Then you have C codes(chassis), B codes(body codes), and U codes(network communication). I'll try to get a definite answer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there a particular code reader that anyone reccomends? I see that there are several ones and a big range in prices. I am just looking for something to read the codes and tells me what they mean.

·
Registered
86 Posts
p0717 and p0980 traction control blinks

04 is300 auto 100k. car has had cel since i bought it. 717 has something to do with the evap and my intake tube was improperly installed and messed up so i changed it code went away for a little bit then came back also with a 980. at a loss and any help would be apprecited.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
04 is300 auto 100k. car has had cel since i bought it. 717 has something to do with the evap and my intake tube was improperly installed and messed up so i changed it code went away for a little bit then came back also with a 980. at a loss and any help would be apprecited.
Actually P0717 is a malfunction with the O/D speed sensor on the transmission. Another member had a very similar problem with the same two Dtc's. Check out my post at the end of the thread below.

http://my.is/forums/f93/check-engine-trac-off-vas-warning-lights-435803/

·
Registered
86 Posts
Actually P0717 is a malfunction with the O/D speed sensor on the transmission. Another member had a very similar problem with the same two Dtc's. Check out my post at the end of the thread below.

http://my.is/forums/f93/check-engine-trac-off-vas-warning-lights-435803/
thats about what i figured. my only real question is i had the p0717 only when i checked it a few months ago. so do you think i should start with the sensor or the solenoid. well the sensor isnt that expensive so ill prob do that first anyway. guess im answering my own question! thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
thats about what i figured. my only real question is i had the p0717 only when i checked it a few months ago. so do you think i should start with the sensor or the solenoid. well the sensor isnt that expensive so ill prob do that first anyway. guess im answering my own question! thanks
I honestly think the speed sensor fault is due to the solenoid fault, but I'm not 100 percent sure. If you threw a speed sensor fault before the solenoid fault then I would most definitely replace the speed sensor imo. I would reset the ECU and maybe see what pops up first. Anyway, post an update or if you have any more questions, i'll try to tell you the best of my knowledge.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I honestly think the speed sensor fault is due to the solenoid fault, but I'm not 100 percent sure. If you threw a speed sensor fault before the solenoid fault then I would most definitely replace the speed sensor imo. I would reset the ECU and maybe see what pops up first. Anyway, post an update or if you have any more questions, i'll try to tell you the best of my knowledge.
thanks for the help. its my buddys car so as soon as his lazy self wants me to do the work for him i'll let you know what happens

81 - 100 of 181 Posts