Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reminds me of when I misfired..and a week later it went off.

This time, I floored it while going like 30, it downshifted...didn't shift again like its supposed to (Shift kit mother f'ers)..and woah, I notice a CEL blinking.

I drive normal and about 10 seconds later the light stops and all is good

Any ideas what this would be?

My car, I think, is saying "How come this turbo came with out something to help me shift @ hole!!!!. FIX ME".

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
mattssi said:
goldark said:
manual swap?
THanks!!!

I had the delaer look up the code and thats what it said too!
:lol:

but seriously...u running any ignition timing set up?? MSD or HKS?

sounds similar to LilIS300's recent woes....

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tsopranoMB said:
mattssi said:
goldark said:
manual swap?
THanks!!!

I had the delaer look up the code and thats what it said too!
:lol:

but seriously...u running any ignition timing set up?? MSD or HKS?

sounds similar to LilIS300's recent woes....
No, haven't had that issue in a while. I just stay off it really on the e-way and its fine.

When it does the CEL due to misfire...the track blinks and the CEL stays on.

This time, JUST the CEL was blinking.. Track light was fine. 10 sec's later, it went off

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
if it went off it's not a emissions thing or a misfire thing. Those will stay. There's no telling, but I didn't thing that CEL's would go off with out a reset, or at least until you turn it off next time.

You had to of had a couple pending and then it flashed one to active. Do you have palm software you can log and see what codes pop up from time to time. It's invaluable.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
alright, new go fast rule

no more CEL posts unless you go to the dealer (or whoever) get the code read, and then ask us for help

otherwise, its like someone posting "hey i heard a weird noise today, what could it be" ... "i don't know what it sounded like, what direction it was coming from, or how to dupicate it, but i heard something"

if you want help, get the code read, it doesn't have to be at the dealer and does not have to screw your warranty. you could probably go to the local autozone or something

-gte

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Autozone can no longer scan customer cars anymore, some new law or whatnot, well in California they can't. But you can buy an ODB-II scanner for about $150 from there, that's what I did. And I have to agree with GTE here, saying hey I got a CEL with no code is to vague and most likely everyone will have a different reason as to why a CEL was thrown.

Note to all turbo IS owners: buy an ODB-II scanner, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
It was a misfire.

Misfires on our car are dual trip logic.

MEANING- it will take two "trips" for the CEL to remain.

The first time you register a misfire, it sets a flag saying "ok, we misfired, keep an eye out for another one. I will flash the CEL light for 30 seconds (not 10) to let the driver know something happened" If you get another misfire, it will remain on and your trac light will blink.

A misfire is registered as 3 cylinders consecutively missing.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
DL said:
Note to all turbo IS owners: buy an ODB-II scanner, you won't regret it.
Absolutely! Also, get a wideband! It is WORTH THE MONEY to save your engine.

All of you are running around with $5,000-10,000 turbo kits on your cars, but if god forbid you blew your engine tomorrow, would you have the money to pay for a new block and labor to put it in? Or would you be up the creek without a paddle? That would be a terrible position to be in, wouldn't it?

Pay now... it will save you pain and frustration in the long run.

I am a hypocrite, as I still don't have my wideband installed- (bought one, haven't put it on yet) BUT I do have the poor man's wideband (EGT :lol: ). If you're going to push your car way beyond its intended limits, don't half-ass it.

-C

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got the poor mans ECU (SRT Piggy), so I figured I'd be ok with other poor man stuff.

Im almost 100% sure the light came on during the period when it was at redline, floored, and just hanging there.

I'm gonna look into the cd software for the laptop for the odb2 thing. oh poopy.

Do you have any info on the shift kit yet? Releasae date was about 2 months ago?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
mattssi said:
Do you have any info on the shift kit yet? Releasae date was about 2 months ago?
Yes, I do. :D R&D is almost done- it works really well! I have no idea when it will hit production, however, but I imagine within 1 or 2 months. Don't hold me to that, though. What I do know is that it does exist, and it does work.

-C

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
doublins said:
mattssi said:
Yes, I do. :D R&D is almost done- it works really well! I have no idea when it will hit production, however, but I imagine within 1 or 2 months. Don't hold me to that, though. What I do know is that it does exist, and it does work.

-C
Thank god! I thought it just dropped off the map!

The only other thing I hope it can do is handle more power or is upgradeable to work with other stage kits. (in addition to vb upgrades, etc)

Come on SRT, I know your have nothing to do all day! :wink:

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
MATTSSI:

I had the same thing happen to me as well. It started flashing as I was wot. I backed off, and it stopped after a bit. This was while my trac was flashing though.

I hooked up te OBD-II (happy GTE? :wink:) and it said the CEL was on because of the 02 sensor (that's normal) and I was having random/multiple misfires.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
i am happy

seeing check engine light is not normal, you should be able to have it tuned without any CEL's tripping

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.