Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear IS300.Net Forum Members (This is a Super-long one):

I am a long time reader, first time poster. I had purchased a Silver/Ebony interior IS300 with leather package last Thanksgiving 2000. First the good news: I love this vehicle for a vehicle like this comes along once in a decade to shake the established players in the market into rethinking their game plan as well as repricing (Lowering) their MSRP's to stay competitive with this Beautiful vehicle. I have read and heard all the arguement as I am sure many of you have of detractors who feel that this vehicle is somehow a bastard child of Toyota, that was sent to finishing school and of how their 3 Series, or C-Class, or A4, S4, or especially CL-S is so much better than the IS. What is important here, I believe, is balance. How balanced this IS is and how adept it is in accomplishing all that is asked of the vehicle by it's owner.

That being said, I must say that I am in great turmoil, because of several factory defect issues that have arisen which have yet to be resolved as well as the complete lack of customer service provided by my dealer: Tustin Lexus.

First: When my IS was purchased in November of 2000, the dealer had a Black Chrome kit on the vehicle which I did not want (They wanted some ridicuous amount of $850 for the kit). I cordially declined and the dealer advised, No problem, "We will install the factory silver emblems back on to your vehicle." Of course anyone who has ever installed OEM emblems knows that the emblems come with adhesive tape which is dye cut to insure a perfect fit. However this was not to be. When I received my IS one day after purchase with the so-called factory emblems, it turned out that their "factory trained technician" simply put black, 1/16 inch thick double-sided tape on the back of the vehicle deck, slapped the emblems on in a haphazardly way and proceeded to cut the excess tape off the vehicle with a utility knife! The "technician" was so incompetent that he not only put deep cuts into the paint, but could not negotiate the zeros in IS300 and the Lexus "L" and cut into the emblem's silver coating, leaving the black plastic underneath. Those of you familier with the comic book X-men can envision emblems that look like Wolverine had attacked them.

To add insult to injury the front grill is a one piece deal that had to be replaced as well with one that had the silver "L" and yet the ham-fisted technician smashed the four plastic fasteners into oblivion resulting in a front grill that would vibrate when you drove.

You would think that the dealer would be concerned with such imcompetent workmanship, however, the service manager, a gentleman named Mark Edwards simply stated that the vehicle was up to factory specs and that any issues of imcompetent technicians was "his problem" not the customers and that he was offended the I had brought this to his attention. At this point, he simply gave me his card, and advised that he was busy and that if I did not like his service department that I can contact 1-800-25-Lexus.

Where is the so-called Lexus treatment of professional service? Is this why Lexus is dropping behind Cadillac and Saturn in customer satisfaction? I contacted Lexus customer service in Torrance, CA and to my dissappointment, some college intern became my "case manager" and could only offer me official Lexus "apologies" and disclaimers stating that each dealer is an "independent franchise and Lexus has no control over these independently owned and operated businesses."

It was only after several calls to my business partner in Tokyo, who on my behalf chewed out the Japanese staff in Tokyo, did anyone even attempt to resolve these issues. All of a sudden a "senior executive staff member" calls and states that they will "buff out" the scratches and re-install new emblems as well as "secure the front grill." Of course in the interest of customer satisfaction, this suit offered me a free 30k service. BFD!

Second, as many of you may know, our IS h

·
8,880 Posts
Wow. Lexus ought to close this dealership. It really puts a dent in Lexus reputation.

I had "Gold Trim" installed when I bought my IS. My dealership did an excellent job. I wouldn't be able to tell apart factory and my gold trim. Letter spacing is pefect. They didn't do anything w/ the front grill. I still have silver L in the front. The grill is not hard to remove. Some of us done that. One has to be very incompetent to screw it up.

When I had my car for 1K service, Lexus called me to follow up on my experience to see if there was anything I wasn't satisfied with. Did you recive a follow-up call after servicing your Lexus?

The only problem I had was with the remote-start that was installed by a company contracted by my dealership. I uninstalled that thing, and bought a different unit and installed it myself. My salesperson even got wiring diagram for me at no charge.

I do get the occasional Error#, but after turning the unit off and switching CDs it goes away. I wouldn't trust any technician replacing that unit for me. I'm considering buying an aftermarket system.

I think I saw a post somewhere about wind noise. Run a search.

One of the reasons I bought Lexus is its reliability. I owned Toyota before and never had to take it to the dealership.

I'd say go with the Lemon Law. Let them sweat. Maybe having a "Lemon IS300" will open Lexus' eyes.

I'd give my dealership hell if I had to go through all that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for actually reading that massive post. I think the key now is to sell this vehicle or have it bought back under bbb and to purchase something else. This my be the perfect reason to hold off for a few more months for the 2002 come out with a manual. All I can say is NEVER have your Lexus serviced at this dealer. It's 6 AM out here in CA. I'm done messing around with the DSL router in our new house. Time for some ZZZ.

·
11,062 Posts
Gosh, that's awful. Mine has 3300 miles on it now...and fortunately, NO trouble with anything yet. (Knock on Wood) I do think the driver's side door needs some grease though. Going in for a five-month service on March 10th. I intend to have the undercarriage inspected...as well as the tires. I keep waiting for the CD player to give up the ghost...that has been trouble for a number of folks.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
I've had problems with some dealerships too. I just posted about getting good or bad service. Fill out the surveys.

I don't have any problems with my cars. I consider the problems minor.

I've had the CD changer replaced, but the CD changer is made by another company, not Lexus. Lexus changed my CD player no problem.

As for the tires, it was until recently until Lexus realized that many people were having problems with tires. I believe this is a recall issue now.

That wind noise? Tell the to check the plastic undercarriage piece. It may be loose.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi friend.

My suggestion: get a lawyer, and sue.

-Alt

------------------
Ashraf Shabudin / Ampman Audio Marketing Director, TeamAMP Director

·
Registered
39 Posts
86MYIS300

I'm sorry to hear what has happened to you at Tustin Lexus. I too have had several serious issues with this dealership and my IS. This is LONG.

About a month ago I took my IS in for an 8000 mile oil change and a host of problems to Tustin Lexus. They were and are:

1. Drivers door mirror and door striker rattle when door shut.

2. Corroded brake calipers and rotors.

3. High beam bulbs with a strange orange coating on them (look at yours, they are probably on yours).

4. A noisy A/C compressor.

5. Rough transmission shifting and hesitation.

6. Discolored floor mats.

7. Front passenger door weatherstripping crooked.

Sorry to list all of this stuff, but I think it's important that people see this. NOW here is the really irritating thing...I get a call from the service manager stating that someone HIT my car while it was being serviced. Apparently someone put a decent size crease in my front passenger door damaging it enough for a repaint. So, this all happens on a Friday, I'm told the car will be sent to Anaheim Hills Autobody for repair and it will be returned the following Monday.

Monday comes and goes, Tuesday comes and goes, Wednesday comes and goes. I call, very upset and I'm told that the work hasn't been completed yet. I say, get on it and get it back now or find another repair shop. So they rush the car and I get it back that Friday. One week my car is gone while I drive this piece of **** ES300 with a flat tire (a slow leak it had)and a burnt out front flasher.

I pick up my car and the only thing they did was change the AC compressor, which is STILL NOISY and they tell me it's not covered under the factory warranty anymore. What's up with that? No new floor mats, no new weatherstripping, no fix on the brake calipers and rotors (I was promised they would paint them), the rattle in the drivers door is still there and I was put on a waiting list for the ECU upgrade. AND the paint still needs to be buffed on the front door. Here's another kicker. One of their technicians or someone at the body shop stole a CD out of my car. How low do people have to get? Not only that, but my car was a mess! Very dirty and dusty inside and it looked like someone rumaged through the inside and trunk.

I complained to the Customer Service Rep (Her name is Millie) and she apologized and gave me a gift certificate for a free 15,000 service. BFD!!!!! Did I mention that they DROVE my car to the repair shop and didn't even fill my car up with GAS? Arrrrg!!!!!

If Tustin Lexus is listening...You guys suck as a reputable dealership. My car left with more problems than it came in with. I want some service and I want it done right!

·
Registered
5 Posts
(long, sorry)
Wow! I guess I'm pretty lucky that I have a good dealership here in Denver!
I purchased my IS at the end of November and the next day I noticed that it had been hit in the front (I drove it from the dealership straight to my garage, so I know that it didn't happen while I had the car). I took it back to them the next day and told them that I wanted a new one. They said no problem but we don't have one (Millennium Silver) on the lot, and don't have any coming in any time soon. He (the new car manager) then proceeded to get on the phone and call another dealership in town. He told me that the other dealership had one, and he would make a trade with them and it would be here later that day. I picked up my new car that afternoon and everything was fine, so it seemed. I drove the car for a couple of weeks, but noticed that it had a rumble in the rear-end when it was shifting gears so I took it back to service. After having my car for a couple of weeks, and still not finding the source of the problem, I was starting to get discouraged. I was tired of driving the granny ES300, so I went back and told them I wanted an IS to drive. They told me that wasn't possible because they didn't have any in the loaner fleet. After about a half an hour of telling them how displeased I was, the customer service manager offered to let me drive his IS until mine was repaired. It was nice to be able to drive an IS again, but it still wasn't mine. In the 36 days that they had my IS in the shop, they replaced the whole exhaust (twice) the rear-end, and the sub frame bushings and it still made the noise. But because they had my car for so long... they made a payment for me! I finally got tired of waiting for them to fix the problem and told them that I wanted another NEW car. Again they said no problem, remember I've now had the car for two months and put 1500 miles on it.
It was a little discouraging to have to go through all of this to get a good car, but the dealership was great through the whole thing.
It's now the 23rd of Feb and I only have 110 miles on my third car, but everything seems to be working great!
I can't say enough good things about my dealer here in Denver. They replace my car twice, made a payment for me, and let me drive one of they're IS300's while mine was in the shop. There isn't any dealership better than KUNI LEXUS OF DENVER!!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
ISINDENVER, how are their prices? I'm moving to Aurora in April and will probably buy my manual IS there. How is the sales? Anybody I should go to? Thanks.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I just had my car in for its 1K service this morning. When I called to make the appointment last Thursday, the service manager had asked me if I had any problems thus far. I told him about the ECU problem, which he acknowledged as a known problem, one that a fix was in the works. I also told him I was getting a plastic-on-plastic noise from the driver side air vent. In talking with him, he was also aware of the passenger-side undercarriage issue, which I haven't run into (yet).

When I brought it in today, the service rep. called up my record and everything was there. To my surprise, the mechanic heard the air vent squeak, and lined some felt inside to take care of it (which has worked). They did leave the paper floormat in the car after they said it was ready to go, but that's not a huge issue.

So far Hennessy Lexus has been good, and they are aware of the issues that have been raised here, which others have had met with blank stares at other dealerships. Maybe it's due to competition (there is another Lexus dealer who owns two shops in the area).
It sounds like the more isolated the Lexus dealership, the less service they seem to provide. I don't have a ready solution for this other than to complain to Lexus about these dealers, or find another dealer to go to, one that has other dealers in the immediate area.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think with any new car on the market that there will be minor problems with it and should be fixed in the following years edition.... I have had a flat tire that the dealer has replaced and called road side assistance for me. They were there in 15 minutes changed the wheel and I was on my way in about 1/2 hour..... My dealer has been nothing but considerate to any issues that I have with the car. I think your dealer is not representing LEXUS up to LEXUS standards. I'm sorry to hear about all your problems I hope that they will make it up to you in some way.

------------------
TC
Spectra/Blue
17" Lexus Chome
'01 Nissan Pathfinder

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by slodeanis:
86MYIS300

I'm sorry to hear what has happened to you at Tustin Lexus. I too have had several serious issues with this dealership and my IS. This is LONG.

About a month ago I took my IS in for an 8000 mile oil change and a host of problems to Tustin Lexus. They were and are:

1. Drivers door mirror and door striker rattle when door shut.

2. Corroded brake calipers and rotors.

3. High beam bulbs with a strange orange coating on them (look at yours, they are probably on yours).

4. A noisy A/C compressor.

5. Rough transmission shifting and hesitation.

6. Discolored floor mats.

7. Front passenger door weatherstripping crooked.

Sorry to list all of this stuff, but I think it's important that people see this. NOW here is the really irritating thing...I get a call from the service manager stating that someone HIT my car while it was being serviced. Apparently someone put a decent size crease in my front passenger door damaging it enough for a repaint. So, this all happens on a Friday, I'm told the car will be sent to Anaheim Hills Autobody for repair and it will be returned the following Monday.

Monday comes and goes, Tuesday comes and goes, Wednesday comes and goes. I call, very upset and I'm told that the work hasn't been completed yet. I say, get on it and get it back now or find another repair shop. So they rush the car and I get it back that Friday. One week my car is gone while I drive this piece of **** ES300 with a flat tire (a slow leak it had)and a burnt out front flasher.

I pick up my car and the only thing they did was change the AC compressor, which is STILL NOISY and they tell me it's not covered under the factory warranty anymore. What's up with that? No new floor mats, no new weatherstripping, no fix on the brake calipers and rotors (I was promised they would paint them), the rattle in the drivers door is still there and I was put on a waiting list for the ECU upgrade. AND the paint still needs to be buffed on the front door. Here's another kicker. One of their technicians or someone at the body shop stole a CD out of my car. How low do people have to get? Not only that, but my car was a mess! Very dirty and dusty inside and it looked like someone rumaged through the inside and trunk.

I complained to the Customer Service Rep (Her name is Millie) and she apologized and gave me a gift certificate for a free 15,000 service. BFD!!!!! Did I mention that they DROVE my car to the repair shop and didn't even fill my car up with GAS? Arrrrg!!!!!

If Tustin Lexus is listening...You guys suck as a reputable dealership. My car left with more problems than it came in with. I want some service and I want it done right!
Hello, I'm Back. My close friend and former freshman roommate back in the day at UC Davis is in town and we have been doing very touresty things in the So. Cal area. It is amazing that Tustin Lexus is so Incompetent. What I forgot to mention in the original post was the fact that when my vehicle was back at the dealer the second time for the rear emblems, some there put a hugh dent in the foward portion of the hood. Be careful IS owners, our vehicles are very fragile! Apparantly, one of the skilled technician while working on the front grill tried to force the hood to close with the black chrome kit version of the one piece front grill resting on the radiator cap and obviously the hood would not secure on the front hook/latch. Of course did the service manager mention anything about this fiasco? NO. It was only when I was picking up the paperwork and the keys for my vehicle from the cashier's office did I notice several lines in the workorder for a sublet to the local paintless body shop for dent removal. Now I have several gaping holes in the inside of the hood where the bodyshop stuck there adjustment rods into. These holes are covered only with some type of black pl

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Black_IS300:
I have only had problems at tustin lexus. I would never go there for anything. Ive had a number of bad experiences there.
Dear Black_IS300:

What type of problems have you had with this dealer? I am seriously thinking about taking this matter to the press. Maybe have that "Ask Bogey" guy on CBS2 News do do one of those investigative reports.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by ISINDENVER:
(long, sorry)
Wow! I guess I'm pretty lucky that I have a good dealership here in Denver!
I purchased my IS at the end of November and the next day I noticed that it had been hit in the front (I drove it from the dealership straight to my garage, so I know that it didn't happen while I had the car). I took it back to them the next day and told them that I wanted a new one. They said no problem but we don't have one (Millennium Silver) on the lot, and don't have any coming in any time soon. He (the new car manager) then proceeded to get on the phone and call another dealership in town. He told me that the other dealership had one, and he would make a trade with them and it would be here later that day. I picked up my new car that afternoon and everything was fine, so it seemed. I drove the car for a couple of weeks, but noticed that it had a rumble in the rear-end when it was shifting gears so I took it back to service. After having my car for a couple of weeks, and still not finding the source of the problem, I was starting to get discouraged. I was tired of driving the granny ES300, so I went back and told them I wanted an IS to drive. They told me that wasn't possible because they didn't have any in the loaner fleet. After about a half an hour of telling them how displeased I was, the customer service manager offered to let me drive his IS until mine was repaired. It was nice to be able to drive an IS again, but it still wasn't mine. In the 36 days that they had my IS in the shop, they replaced the whole exhaust (twice) the rear-end, and the sub frame bushings and it still made the noise. But because they had my car for so long... they made a payment for me! I finally got tired of waiting for them to fix the problem and told them that I wanted another NEW car. Again they said no problem, remember I've now had the car for two months and put 1500 miles on it.
It was a little discouraging to have to go through all of this to get a good car, but the dealership was great through the whole thing.
It's now the 23rd of Feb and I only have 110 miles on my third car, but everything seems to be working great!
I can't say enough good things about my dealer here in Denver. They replace my car twice, made a payment for me, and let me drive one of they're IS300's while mine was in the shop. There isn't any dealership better than KUNI LEXUS OF DENVER!!!
I can not believe it three new cars? If only I could get Tustin Lexus to get me one working car! I am very Jealous. Tustin Lexus is one of those big high volume superstores and they are very proud of the fact that they have over 100 loaner vehicles. Obviously quantity does not equal quality.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by ShoRoom_IS300:
I think with any new car on the market that there will be minor problems with it and should be fixed in the following years edition.... I have had a flat tire that the dealer has replaced and called road side assistance for me. They were there in 15 minutes changed the wheel and I was on my way in about 1/2 hour..... My dealer has been nothing but considerate to any issues that I have with the car. I think your dealer is not representing LEXUS up to LEXUS standards. I'm sorry to hear about all your problems I hope that they will make it up to you in some way.

Thank you for your words of support. It is good to know that at least other IS owners are more compassionate than the dealer with our shared misfortunes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
AltezzaFreak
The prices aren't too bad depending on the color you want. The old supply and demand thing.
But after what I have read on this board, I'd gladly pay a little more, to get the excellent service that they have.
Go to KUNI Lexus and ask for Bud York. He'll take care of you.
Good Luck

Originally posted by AltezzaFreak:
ISINDENVER, how are their prices? I'm moving to Aurora in April and will probably buy my manual IS there. How is the sales? Anybody I should go to? Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
12 Participants
ISINDENVER
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing