Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright, so i need a new catalytic converter but i dont feel like spending $1,300 on it, emmissions here arn't to hard to pass so thats not a big issue for me, and I have and exhaust that i like pretty good, but i just want to know some options i could do, a new full exhaust? header back if they even make those, a y-pipe? or any used catalytic converters? I dont really know where to look, or what to look for so any info or ideas would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Allright, so i need a new catalytic converter but i dont feel like spending $1,300 on it, emmissions here arn't to hard to pass so thats not a big issue for me, and I have and exhaust that i like pretty good, but i just want to know some options i could do, a new full exhaust? header back if they even make those, a y-pipe? or any used catalytic converters? I dont really know where to look, or what to look for so any info or ideas would be great! Thanks!
Assuming you are past the 8/80 warranty- Just an FYI- it's illegal to sell used catalytic converters.

Doesn't mean you can't find it, but not something you can (legally) just run down to a junkyard and pick up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I'm over the miles, and there's a place here to get a used one but don't if it's not legal then I wouldn't want to do it haha but there's a universal cat that magnaflow makes but I'm not to sure about that one either.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Why is it illegal to sell used catalytic?
Because the EPA/federal law says so.

You've no way to "know" a used cat works, hence illegal.

(technically it's legal to sell them to recycling companies to recover the metals from them- it's just not legal to sell a used one for use on a vehicle unless it's tested and certified for re-use)

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.