Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night at about 4:30am my check engine light went on. I brought it in today to get checked out and they are telling me my catalytic converter needs to be rebuilt. they said it is expensive because it is built into something else... im not quite sure. They want $1500 to have someone rebuild it. I just had my car smogged so I wont have to do that for a while but i would like an option that would allow my car to pass smog. what can i do? do i have to buy an entire new exhaust system or is there a cheaper way?? i appreciate any info.

· Registered
539 Posts
Was this at a dealership? $1500... wow, they bent you over and are not looking for the lube.

The part is expensive, cats run anywhere from $200-400. the labor shouldn't be much more than an hours worth of work, which even at a dealership is around $70 an hour.

· Registered
6,374 Posts
Typical modern cats...they all go out about 100-150k.

· Banned
327 Posts
$1500??? Rebuild the cat? wtf? lol
Never seen that before. i just wanna know.. how do you actually REBUILD the cat? ehh.. dont listen to them bro.
Buy a new cat, have a muffler shop install it at $50-$85 an hour labor, and you are set.
or.. OBX header for around the same $$$$
dont listen to that dealer man.
Good luck which ever you choose!

· Registered
539 Posts
wow, where are you located.. I like to visit this shop you went to and have them explan to me exactly how in the [email protected]#$k do you rebuild a cat., then after that i can tell then to stick there bullShit up them retarded azz.

Search the F/S forum, alot of peeps are selling use stock cats.

· Registered
6,374 Posts
It's not so much a rebuild cost as it is a replacement cost for the headers and y-pipe that the cats are integrated into.

· Registered
104 Posts
I think that shop thought they saw a sucker coming
You should go back and pull a fast one on them
buy the parts(here,used, alot cheaper) and get them to put it on(by the hourly rate)
When bill time comes see if they try to screw you again
Tell them you have the mechanics book which states every job and the hourly rate they can charge for.
I have the book here somewheres I will look it up when I find it

· Registered
1,007 Posts
Our cars have 3 cats . . . there are the 2 "pre cats" in the header and then the main catalytic in the Y pipe down under the car. I doubt very much the "pre cats" are what need to be replaced. You can go to any muffler shop and have them give you a quote. They charge $120 or so for generic universal cats and probably $80 or less for labor - you'll be in and out in an hour and it will be $200 total. Try that first BEFORE letting anyone start working on your header / pre-cats. FYI - you won't be able to do anything with the pre-cats that are in the header - that would require a new header (AFAIK) and if those are what need replacing - I would recommend getting an aftermarket header like the Mazzuri. But like I said - those don't need replacing I bet.

· Registered
9 Posts
good thing you checked the forum first... buy a used one like these guys said and maybe even install it your self and save 70 bucks.. its not to difficult.. just unbolt it from the exhaust manifold and the exhause pipe and bolt on the new one

· Registered
32 Posts
My .02 cents

Last night at about 4:30am my check engine light went on. I brought it in today to get checked out and they are telling me my catalytic converter needs to be rebuilt. they said it is expensive because it is built into something else... im not quite sure. They want $1500 to have someone rebuild it. I just had my car smogged so I wont have to do that for a while but i would like an option that would allow my car to pass smog. what can i do? do i have to buy an entire new exhaust system or is there a cheaper way?? i appreciate any info.
Doesn"t matter what solution you take just get it taken care of before the cat starts falling apart. If its one of the cats on the header it will clog the Y-pipe and prevent your exhaust not flow properly. I got the same quote from Just here to steal Money lexus (JM lexus) and i just took out the stock header cut the cat housing open took out the pieces and welded it air tight. Just a temporary solution though because i plan on going forced induction very soon.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok so it could be potentially damaging to my car if i do not take care of this right away??

ya after they told me 1500 there was no way i was gonna pay that. i have installed exhast systems before so i think i can take care of this one. now i just need to find out which cat needs to be replaced.

thanks for all the input

· Registered
80 Posts
I had the same thing happen to mine, It was covered under powertrain warrenty i had 55k or so at the time. They replaced the hole whole exhaust manifold with the cats.. They did not even say boo about the xerd race pipe and the missing 3rd cat..

· Registered
1 Posts
i have an 07 is350 with 160k miles. i bought it ppe headers rather than the oem manifolds with cats, can i have o2 sensors relocated after secondary cats and achieve proper performance. right now its throwing codes and wont accelerate/shift right or go over 55mph

6,141 Posts
i have an 07 is350 with 160k miles. i bought it ppe headers rather than the oem manifolds with cats, can i have o2 sensors relocated after secondary cats and achieve proper performance. right now its throwing codes and wont accelerate/shift right or go over 55mph
First. Wrong section for your year. That being said. Post in right section. Then also post the cell code you are getting and all the details of the changes and what you tried.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts