Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 5 spd with a K&N intake and custom header (Top Speed Performance). I still have the stock Y. Recently, I got a hold of a Greddy Evo 2 cat-back... ran with it for a week then decided that the interior noise is too much (this is a daily family driver with 2 young kids). Two days ago, I got a Tanabe Racing Medallion cat-back... interior noise still too much.

My question is: if I use the stock B pipe, will it lower the interior noise?
or am I better off going back to the stock cat-back?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,863 Posts
I have an 03 5 spd with a K&N intake and custom header (Top Speed Performance). I still have the stock Y. Recently, I got a hold of a Greddy Evo 2 cat-back... ran with it for a week then decided that the interior noise is too much (this is a daily family driver with 2 young kids). Two days ago, I got a Tanabe Racing Medallion cat-back... interior noise still too much.

Thanks
if you want go with an HKS axle back and stock B-pipe ....will be alot quieter then any cat backs (aftermarket).....This will keep alittle bit more aftermarket exhaust tone and look but will also keep kid friendly exhaust notes...

Or go back to stock cat back.....
but really you wont lose any noticable HP from running stock cat back,keeping your header and y pipe on...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Super Moderator
7,863 Posts
sounds like my Evo II!!

Thanks u all 4 the suggestions, I am going back stock for now, but I am very interested in this 2
Tanabe USA Inc. - Medalion Touring Exhaust
HKS Ti Limited Edition Exhaust System Lexus IS300, Exhaust / Header, Lexus IS300 performance parts, Lexus Performance

I guess I'll be selling some cat-backs then :D
Very similair set ups other then i have a LMS CAI ....check my other vids ..rate and comment if you will...

I would double check that company if they have any more TI limiteds in stock before making order , cause i know for a fact HKS Stop making them and has none left in stock..

You should have no problems selling the EVO II cat back they sell pretty fast ...sold mine for 300.00 but they can go for little more depending on condition...

·
Super Moderator
7,863 Posts
hey if you already have the headers on
how much more sound did the aftermarket ypipe make? what are the differences?
In my opinion ...y pipe opens it up due to removing the one cat and got rid of a little bit of the rasp and got rid of leaks from stock y pipe...but smell increases along with more drone (which will depend on your after y-pipe selection of exhaust.

On another note also i put on y-pipe and cat back and diff intake on all the same time so it felt like i picked up some HP and car is quicker ....But with that said the more mods you do in one sitting the faster the car will feel and sound conpared to doing one mod at a time..

·
Registered
68 Posts

Thanks
The stock b pipe will definitely lower the noise, but new noises such as rattling or tin can exhaust noises may follow.

Both of those exhausts you mentioned are known as some of the louder ones in the IS community, especially the droning Greddy. I would put a single hi flow catalytic converter at the Y pipe merge, followed by a Tanabe Medallion Touring and if this is unacceptable, then goto stock.

You are likely better off going back to stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.