Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question.

When goig through a carwash is it necessary to remove the black antenna so it will not get damaged?

I ask because it is flexible and would not break.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think the best solution is to NEVER send this car through a car wash. The IS deserves to be hand pampered. But, really to answer your question... You don't have to take it off.

------------------
Mike
2001 Spectra Blue IS300
2000 Dodge Dakota R/T
1999 Yamaha YZF R1

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
SEnd it thru the carwash... we're not talking about a $60K+ car here. And DO remove the aerial, since it's better safe than sorry.
I'm also not about to hand wash my car in the fall/winter and freeze my arse off. My advice is to get a good car wash at a place that looks reputable, then throw on a layer or 2 of glaze, followed by 1-2 coats of a good wax (I use a carnuba based wax and find it works well, but harder to apply in the cold).

------------------
~soybomb~

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Never go through a car wash.

Would you put your weenis through a garage where they spray it, hit it with dirty towels, rub the dirt in, spray again?

Just freeze your ass off. It's not a big deal. Get some salt for the driveway though. I've had problems with that.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i would not put it through a carwash. a car is a car and putting a car as much as the IS subject to possible damage is not worth the risk. just wash it by hand or pay someone to.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by s0yb0mb:
SEnd it thru the carwash... we're not talking about a $60K+ car here. And DO remove the aerial, since it's better safe than sorry.
I'm also not about to hand wash my car in the fall/winter and freeze my arse off. My advice is to get a good car wash at a place that looks reputable, then throw on a layer or 2 of glaze, followed by 1-2 coats of a good wax (I use a carnuba based wax and find it works well, but harder to apply in the cold).

Good luck getting your swirl marks and spider webs out of your paint...

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've been running my cars through an automatic car wash for the last 20 years. The only time I've ever had one damaged was when the guy rammed another car with mine when pulling up to the conveyor, and that was years ago. Find a good brushless wash, ask to speak with the manager. Ask him/her what day they clean their apparatus. get your car washed that day. I had my STS washed every week for three years at Flagship in Rockville. It was black with chrome wheels, not a scratch on it when I turned it in at the end of the lease.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
[email protected]

98 Lexus LS400
97 Ford Explorer Limited

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by Stephen:
I've been running my cars through an automatic car wash for the last 20 years. The only time I've ever had one damaged was when the guy rammed another car with mine when pulling up to the conveyor, and that was years ago. Find a good brushless wash, ask to speak with the manager. Ask him/her what day they clean their apparatus. get your car washed that day. I had my STS washed every week for three years at Flagship in Rockville. It was black with chrome wheels, not a scratch on it when I turned it in at the end of the lease.

Stephen, What's the difference between an automatic brushless carwash and other automatic carwashes?

Does it mean that nothing touches your car except water?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yes. Touchless car washes only spray water/detergent on your car. Nothing ever touches it. Of course, there's no one there to hand dry it either.. so it's just you and the big automatic blow dryer at the end.

--k

·
Registered
258 Posts
"Touchless" carwashes dont touch your car. There is a wand that runs around the outside and sprays it VERY VERY hard and uses a detergent. Those things are actually very cool. There is one up in Ocean City now, works really well. Its good for up there because all the sand and salt from the ocean scratches a car if it goes through a brushless wash. It was actually really funny, I was up there with my wife and son, and one of his friends and it was about 2 AM. We stopped off to get the car washed. Well it was so cool we had to run through it two more times

A brushless wash is what I use here at home. They use soft cloth to clean the car instead of brushes.

If you arent CERTAIN the carwash is brushless DONT USE IT. Also, if the wash has rotating wheel brushes tell them to shut them off for your car, they'll destroy your wheels.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
[email protected]

98 Lexus LS400
97 Ford Explorer Limited

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
If you MUST send it thru a carwash... at least make sure it's touchless. I think I'll be washing mine by hand though. Freezing or not.

Scott.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I run my IS300 through a "soft touch" automatic car wash (it has spongey cleaners not those "colored fishing line") scraper/cleaners.

Anyways, my Antenna hasn't been damaged and I don't see any streaks in my paint.

But you can hate me anyways...

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
where in the book does it say how much a car is can be washed at certain place? ur an idiot. i guess you dont cherrish your car as much as others. carwash place will never get your car fuly clean anyways.

Originally posted by s0yb0mb:

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
This is what I think. You would take the time to wash your car w/ your own hands if you liked your car enough. Even if it is cold, I'm up in Seattle and have washed it when its 35 degrees out...its not that bad. All the times my parents run their cars through car washes, swirls and scratches appear all the time. But they lease their cars, so its ok.

------------------
Spectra Blue IS300

·
Registered
721 Posts
if your looking for a great carwash for $12.......which includes a person washing your car by hand and hose......check out JJ car wash in Eagle Rock, CA......near glendale......this is for you glendale/pasadena people.....nicky

·
Registered
258 Posts
Originally posted by lilaznboi:
This is what I think. You would take the time to wash your car w/ your own hands if you liked your car enough. Even if it is cold, I'm up in Seattle and have washed it when its 35 degrees out...its not that bad. All the times my parents run their cars through car washes, swirls and scratches appear all the time. But they lease their cars, so its ok.

I love my car, but I just dont have the time. I think your parents need to find another carwash. I've never gotten a scratch on a car from Flagship.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
[email protected]

98 Lexus LS400
97 Ford Explorer Limited

·
Registered
446 Posts
Its freezing out and I take my IS to the self carwash. I just used there water and I bring my own soap and bucket. Oh and I use their soapy brush on my wheels while the next uses it on their car. Spray it off dry and slide out, right after I vacum my seats and mats.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts