Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone at all know a computer that would fit in the glove box of our cars? I've seen those shuttle PC's.. i think they're too big. No pocket pc's or Laptops please .. :p

·
8,880 Posts
Mine is going into the trunk.
You can try fitting one under the glove box.
Try a Mini ITX solution. They are extermely small.

P.S.
How do you plan on resolving power issues? :-?

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
vlad_a said:
Mine is going into the trunk.
You can try fitting one under the glove box.
Try a Mini ITX solution. They are extermely small.

P.S.
How do you plan on resolving power issues? :-?
easy, get a power inverter - DC to AC.

I agree MiniITX is the way to go if you want a pic in your glove box... a lot of those mini motherboards support laptop components and etc.. the cases that can support these computers are actually smaller than a gaming console (PS2)...you're on your own for the monitor though

·
8,880 Posts
^^^^
I didn't mean how to get power. :lol: That is easy. :eek:
I meant how to shut down the power and how to power-up.
I've got a few ideas, but they are not easy to implement. I was looking if someone might have come up with a solid solution.

If you need help on monitor, PM me.

P.S.
DC to AC is not very efficient or easy to control. There are better ways.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the shutting down, i'm gonna use a UPS.. it'll give me a good 10 minutes to shut down the pc the proper way... anyone have a better idea? My friend says i don't even have to get a UPS if i just use the relay for the headlights.

·
8,880 Posts
^^^^
UPS is a good idea, since it communicates via serial port with the PC.
Lights relay is a bad idea. Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about.

That is only half the problem.
What about power-up???

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Hmm, interesting..I just happened to brows up on this thread and I have a situation similar to this. I've already bought my laptop with a DVD player in it. It fits nicely in the glove box and is used for downloading programs (race/street/track) for my stand alone engine management unit (haltech). The power source conversion isn't too hard, and I have a spliter from my audio output port (laptop-for like desk top speakers) to connect to my AUX stock car system so I can view the DVD and have sound from my stock car speakers. As for start up and shut down, I just close the lap top and it goes into stand by mode (soon or later if the car isn't used the battery in the laptop dies off), and when I start the car the power source goes on and I turn on my laptop if I care to use it or just starts charging... I know it might not be the ideal way, but it works for me. If any of you electronic freaks can give me pointers on a better "solid" method/system with my current set up, please do help. Tks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For power look at http://www.opussolutions.com/

They have a 150 watt power supply that shuts down the system via the atx header.

It is fully customizable and its was made for autos.

They have a mini itx one "on the way" that will provide 60 watts but i intend to run some additional accessories so it perfect for me.

BTW mine is going into the trunk.

·
8,880 Posts
^^^^
Nice looking Power Supply. :) You just found an easy on/off solution for me. :D I came across their website as I was doing my research, but never looked at the power supply. :oops:
I was using 120WT ITX one. It is in repairs right now (didn't handle the full load I tried). :-? :eek:

Thanks. 8)

P.S.
If you need 120 WT ITX power supply, PM me. I'll soon be getting a replacement unit and the 150 WT seems to fit better my needs (no need for custom work). :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts