Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i remember someone posted not to wax for a month or two to let the paint settle then glaze and wax (sorry, couldn't find post)
so how do i avoid swirl marks? what should i do and shouldn't i do to keep the paint lookin sweet? what types of cleaner/soaps should i avoid? what do you recommend? all basic questions that some would make you feel stupid for asking but some ppl just have less experience with darker colored cars (like Spectra Blue Mica) we had only white cars in the family until the IS and i do not like the swirl marks...how do i get my car to shine like the one in the brochure?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Don't know about avoiding swirl marks, but just try to keep it clean until after a month or so. Then give it a good wax.

BTW, you guys know that you shouldn't wash a car when the panel is hot to touch, right ?
Also, don't wax under direct sunlight.

--k

·
Registered
424 Posts
To avoid the swirl, you may do the following 2 things :

1. Use a soft sponge to apply the soap and use straight line motion ONLY. Preferably, only in one direction in the same area. Never turn your sponge in circle. Also do NOT rub the paint.

2. Use a good wax which doesn't require circular motion and machine to apply. A good example is http://www.zymol.com. This is the best wax that I know of. And it's quite popular among BMW owners and NSX Club of America. Do a search for "zymol" and you will know what I mean. There is also some good car body care tips in the zymol web site.

AndyL

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Before you do ANYTHING to the car (apply sponge, scrub, rub) make sure you use a hose and hose it down....I don't mean just wet it, but make sure you thoroughly hose down the car with pressured hose (helps quite a bit in eliminating most of the loose sand and dirt which causes most of the swirl and scratch marks.)

To remove bird-turds, use a pressured hose and hose it down..... That should do the trick!!

In the end, don't leave your car covered with 2 inches of dirt before you go and wash it.

It's also a good idea to have the paint 'cut-polished' by a detailer when the paint gets too much swirl marks. But remember cut-polish does thin-out the clear-coat (don't remember how much), but just don't have it done unless necessary.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Also try Blitz One. I was using Zymol and loved it but it lasts like three weeks. Blitz One is real easy to put on and easy to buff off. go to www.carcareonline.com for the scoop on all the good stuff plus techniques for washing and waxing. Best site on the net.

See us BMW guys aren't so bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used to own a detail shop. The key is to get the car as wet as possible and keep it wet. The more water that can lubricate the surface while cleaning the better. I like to spray each surface heavily before and immediatly after I wash it. Also very important is cleaning your wash mit before and after each use. Some ppl like to use a sponge but I think it keeps dirt to close to the surface. I use a new was mit every omnth and throw it in my washer and dryer after each use. This really helps, especially with dark colors.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Have a friend that also used Klasse and was thrilled with the results. It is a red 635i and really looks nice. He used and electric buffer and there are no swirls at all.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Originally posted by PXM:
What do you suggest for tar marks?

For tar marks, I simply use the same car wax I used for my car (actually a paint sealant.) Currently, I'm testing out the Prolong paint sealant, and so far it's working out very well.... (It's been about 5 months now....I wash my car at least once or twice a week, and the sealant coat is still there....)

Mother's clay bar is also very good for tar marks too.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Unless you feel like removing your cars finish, do not use diswashing soap (Dawn, Joy, etc although they are good for making bubbles). Klasse is great stuff, I've said it before and I'll say it again. It does just about anything and everything you can ask of it. My cousin just bought a Tundra and he had spray on liner applied to the bed and some overspray got on the taillight. I took it off using Klasse All In One. I will soon be ordering more and will also try the Glaze and RVL Protector.

·
Registered
424 Posts
S38 & dtplink,

Thanks for your new insights. I have been using Zymol and am totally satisfied with it except I have to avoid spraying hard water to the car without drying it (like a quick rinse and drive away kind of thing)in hot summer (winter is fine). It will leave some marks on the most heated area of the paint, ie. the place right above the engine on the hood. I just have to check for spots and then re-apply their cleaner -- HD-cleanse, and add a layer of wax to fix it. It's not big deal considering the shine, protection and how long it lasts.

I am quite surprised that it only lasted for 3 weeks for you. If it were 3 weeks for me, I would have quitted right away. What a ripoff considering the cost of the products.

However, for me, it's 4-5 months in summer and 6 months in winter (notice I have a similar cold winter as in New York) I am not talking about

I am using Zymol HD-cleanse to prepare for a proper surface. It removes oxidation and any old wax, tar and any old and dead paint thus uncovering the fresh and new paint to the surface.

Then I apply 3 layers of Zymol Japon to the car, Zymol Details to the bumper.

For washing, I am a bit meticulous. I use 2 steps which takes about 45 -50mins to complete washing a car including the rims and the inside of the doors. And I use Zymol Clear.

Are you using a different Zymol product than I do ? They have a all-in-one product and there is no real comparision. The wax that I use (Zymol Japon) is even smoother than any lotion that I have.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I went with Mothers on the advice of a friend who's had a few classic's. I've washed with phase 1 twice and it leaves zero water spots and is very gentle. Today I did phase 2 (seal and glaze) and phase 3 (pure carnuba wax) and holy crap does the car look good. Only wish I had gotten the wax on before the hood took a pebble
have a small ding. Why's it black under the paint?

------------------
2001 Lexus IS300
Solar Yellow Exterior
LSD, Black L/E
Moonroof, wheel locks, trunk mat

·
Registered
424 Posts
F8L,

I donno, too, about why is black underneath the paint. What I know is for black, blue, green, it's white. For silver, it's black.

I am so surprised to see that your yellow has black underneath as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts