Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well up to about a year ago I never was a big fan of carbon fiber. In fact I always associated it with rice. Lately specifically because of my bike Its really starting to grow on me. Not just any carbon fiber either. I'm not talking about that ebay stuff I'm talking about high quality REAL imported carbon fiber from the Austria, U.K. and Germany. Same stuff on my bike. Anyways I am not a fan of carbon fiber hoods or wings thats a little too much but I am mainly talking about smaller parts like engine covers and radiator covers. So my question is carbon fiber still in or was this a trend thats been played out? What do you guys think? BTW here's a random pic I had of my bike with a few pieces of CF on.

-Yamaha Dave

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
I dont see much of a purpose for the carbon fibre engine covers. Blah blah it dicipates heat. It still looks weird and oh yeah it costs a lot. Why spend 2-300 bucks to cover your engine?

·
Registered
372 Posts
i personally think that carbon fiber has become more than just a trend...it has been around for quite some time now but during the time that it did in the begining it wasnt as big, for what i think, because it costs so much more than it doesn today. The reason why i dont see it as a trend or a fad anymore is because more and more cars are being built with carbon fiber pieces to make a lighter car...the carbon fiber saying is, "strong as steel but light as a feather". there are plenty of cars that have yet to come out that have a lot of carbon fiber on them for the lightness factor. ie. the new M6 has a full carbon fiber roof that, from what i've read, will not be painted so the carbon fiber will definitely show/stand out. thats just one of dozens of cars that will have carbon fiber on them for a purpose. my thing is as long as the "real" carbon fiber pieces serve a purpose then i can appreciate it.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
I do my own C/F work

I just think it is better that way

I am learning molds etc..

Now I just do overlaying

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
I like CF accents. Less is more, if you will.

IMPRIMIS, you have a PM.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
the wrong tone said:
I like CF accents. Less is more, if you will.

IMPRIMIS, you have a PM.

replied

and your request would be quite easy, just give me the cap to work off ;)

I am ordering some "sheets" and then some fiber soon to do his caps I suppose

anyone else want anything

Can get some mad JDM C/F vinyl as well :lol:

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
IMPRIMIS said:
anyone else want anything
TAILLIGHTS!!!..:lol:

anyways, at first i really did not like cf...it grew on me, but it took a while...like yahama said i also like the look of small things...i really think a car that has a cf hood and trunk looks good, but not fenders, or a full cf lip/body kit...i think those body pieces look really ugly and need to be painted..

i read an article a couple weeks ago about how car manufacturers are beginning to use carbon fiber in their cars...i cant seem to find it though..

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
I am trying to get another set of tails actually for this

ordering some C/F sheeting a couple kinds

Want to get some C/F bezels ;)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone know a good source or website that has CF engine covers for the IS300?

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
yamahadave said:
Anyone know a good source or website that has CF engine covers for the IS300?

no one :lol:

IPT but after the dealings others have had no way

Just get yours wrapped or overlayed....

(its not hard to do ;) )

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
IMPRIMIS said:
I do my own C/F work

I just think it is better that way

I am learning molds etc..

Now I just do overlaying

just curious are you layinf the CF over fiberglass? i seen brief turorials on how to make fiberglass parts but didnt know if CF was made in a similar way

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
goohead said:
just curious are you layinf the CF over fiberglass? i seen brief turorials on how to make fiberglass parts but didnt know if CF was made in a similar way

Just depends on the parts...

I did my hippo lip (he had fiberglass under it so no worries)

and C/F and fiberglass are similar, and different takes patience

1 - 13 of 13 Posts