Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been coasting the boards for a couple monthes because God willing, I will be buying a lexus IS300 soon. Anyways, I am somewhat performance oriented and was wondering how much weight you would save with a CF hood, CF Trunk, CF front and rear bumpers, no spare or jack, and 16 or 17inch lightweight rims? I figure about 150 or so. Just looking for a range of approximate weight saved. As far as rims go, either looking at Buddy Club Gold rims, or Velox VX8 rims, they weigh about 17 lbs each just rims. Also, any recommendations for lightweight rims and tire combos, either 16 or 17 inch. Thanks a lot,guys, take care
Z

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Carbon fiber mirror covers, door pillars, dash kits, trunk bars, spoilers, e-brake handles, and engine bay covers really save a ton of weight. You'll be pulling 10 second runs in no time.

·
Registered
457 Posts
maddskkilz said:
Hi, I've been coasting the boards for a couple monthes because God willing, I will be buying a lexus IS300 soon. Anyways, I am somewhat performance oriented and was wondering how much weight you would save with a CF hood, CF Trunk, CF front and rear bumpers, no spare or jack, and 16 or 17inch lightweight rims? I figure about 150 or so. Just looking for a range of approximate weight saved. As far as rims go, either looking at Buddy Club Gold rims, or Velox VX8 rims, they weigh about 17 lbs each just rims. Also, any recommendations for lightweight rims and tire combos, either 16 or 17 inch. Thanks a lot,guys, take care
Z
:lol: :lol: :lol:
CF HOOD=20 lbs=$500 to $1000
CF TRUNK=10 lbs=$600 to $900
CF FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS= :lol: (YOUR STOCK BUMPERS DONT WEIGH THAT MUCH) YOU SAVE ABOUT 5 lbs TO 8 lbs=about $600 to $1300 for both
LIGHT RIMS (your stock is 21 lbs to 22 lbs...i might be wrong so you would have to look it up) LETS SAY YOU GOT RIMS FOR 17 lbs SO YOU SAVE 5 lbs

SO YOU ARE LOOK AT ABOUT 80 lbs...HOW DO YOU FIGURE 100 lbs to 150 lbs.....AND ALSO WHAT ABOUT YOUR WEIGHT? 150 lbs TO 200 lbs
ALL THAT MONEY FOR NOTHING :shame:

....SAVE UP FOR A TURBO OR A S/C...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Turbos and other forms of forced induction can't make up for a car that can't pull high G's due to too much weight.

If I were you I'd replace the major parts with CF, but start with the front of the car since you'll improve the weight distribution of the car by removing the weight from the front. But CF parts aren't cheap so it'd be better to start with lightening the rotational components of your car.

Lighter rims is a good idea as removing the 1lb from a rotational component of the car is equivalent to removing much more from the static weight of the car. Good thinking on your part. Along with the benfits of lighter rims you reduce the unsprung weight of your car thus improving your suspension's ability to react, which also improves your handling as well.

It doesn't take brains to make fun of someone, while it does to help someone. PM me maddskkilz if you want constructive help.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
redteam22003 said:
maddskkilz said:
Z
:lol: :lol: :lol:
CF HOOD=20 lbs=$500 to $1000
CF TRUNK=10 lbs=$600 to $900
CF FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS= :lol: (YOUR STOCK BUMPERS DONT WEIGH THAT MUCH) YOU SAVE ABOUT 5 lbs TO 8 lbs=about $600 to $1300 for both
LIGHT RIMS (your stock is 21 lbs to 22 lbs...i might be wrong so you would have to look it up) LETS SAY YOU GOT RIMS FOR 17 lbs SO YOU SAVE 5 lbs
Carbon Fiber seats could save a lot too.

The Ferrari Stradale series Modeno has a shitload of carbon fiber(center console, doorskins, ect) and only weighs a couple of hundred pounds less than the production model. Taking weight out of a car...short of ripping out sound dampening material or the back seat is a very expensive proposition. For $12,000 or so you could shed quite a bit of weight.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Conrad_Turbo said:
Turbos and other forms of forced induction can't make up for a car that can't pull high G's due to too much weight.

If I were you I'd replace the major parts with CF, but start with the front of the car since you'll improve the weight distribution of the car by removing the weight from the front. But CF parts aren't cheap so it'd be better to start with lightening the rotational components of your car.

Lighter rims is a good idea as removing the 1lb from a rotational component of the car is equivalent to removing much more from the static weight of the car. Good thinking on your part. Along with the benfits of lighter rims you reduce the unsprung weight of your car thus improving your suspension's ability to react, which also improves your handling as well.

It doesn't take brains to make fun of someone, while it does to help someone. PM me maddskkilz if you want constructive help.
how much weight do you think carbon fiber will save??? those ugly carbon fiber hoods, trunks, and mirrors will save 30 lbs. big deal..30 lbs...

$6K invested in F/I will do more than carbon fiber garbage will ever accomplish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanx conradturbo for the help and the welcome. I figured I would be getting new rims so I might as well get lightweight rims, and I like the look of carbon fiber so I was just curious of how much weight I would be saving in total. Not saying this was my definitive direction, just curious if it would be anything substantial. Also I got to roughly 100-150 figuring the front and rear bumpers weighed more than they do and I assumed the trunk would weigh 40 or so pounds and carbon fiber could reduce that to 10 lbs. Finally, I know the stock rims and tires weigh 45 pounds each (searched and found it). So i figure maybe some lightweight 16 rims and tires would bring it down to 30. Plus, taking out the spare tire and jack, would be at least another 45 since I wouldn't be puttin in another spare, I have AAA and the little tire fixers. Never said I was or was not getting a turbo, but I like the look of carbon fiber so i wanted to know if there would be anything substantial lost by shedding all of this.
Z

·
Registered
457 Posts
SUP

CARBON FIBER= :boring:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Cleo said:
Conrad_Turbo said:

how much weight do you think carbon fiber will save??? those ugly carbon fiber hoods, trunks, and mirrors will save 30 lbs. big deal..30 lbs...

$6K invested in F/I will do more than carbon fiber garbage will ever accomplish.
I THINK CONRAD TURBO IS JUST TALKING OUT OF HIS ASS... :lol: :lol: :lol: BUT I GUESS WHATEVER MAKES THE POST HAPPY :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Conrad_Turbo said:
Ya and I guess every race team that uses CF is talking out of their ass too...

:lol: :lol: MORE THEN ONE PERSON USED THE SN...SO I TYPE WITH THE LOCK ON JACK ASS :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
457 Posts
SUP

AND ALSO YOU REALLY THINK CF HOOD AND TRUNK IS GOING TO MAKE YOUR CAR 12S... :lol: :lol: YEAH I STILL THINK YOU ARE TALKING OUT OF YOUR ASS...BUT I GUESS WHATEVER SALEs RITE... :p

AND ON RACE CAR...THE WHOLE CAR IS CF!!!!WITH NO AC, ABS,PS,PW,AT AND WHATEVER ELSE..

·
Registered
79 Posts
dayvers said:
i say, do engine work first then get the carbon stuff....
I'd do a balace of the two but that's my own personal taste. If you can notice the difference between a battery located in the front and then having it in the rear, then lightweight parts in the front are a good idea. I can notice a difference with a change of 1/4 tank of gas, the handling characteristics are different.

redteam22003 nobody said anything about 12's. What would I be trying to sell by promoting CF parts??? Learn how to use a keyboard and get off the glue.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
In track racing... it's better to shed weight off then to add mad HP...
By taking weight off your car you can have better handling, better breaking, and better acceleration... without doing alot to suspension and brakes...

·
Registered
79 Posts
86b said:
By taking weight off your car you can have better handling, better breaking, and better acceleration... without doing alot to suspension and brakes...
Bingo, power helps you in one aspect of driving. While shedding weight helps you in three. One being acceleration, second being braking and third is turning.

But yes CF parts are expensive and I'd probably start with doing the greatest weight loss to $ spent mods first.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Your best bang for the buck will be
1) seats
2) rims
3) hood
4) light battery
5) empty trunk

if you get a fixed racing seats you could save 50 - 100 lbs for the 2 fronts

Conrad_Turbo said:
86b said:
Bingo, power helps you in one aspect of driving. While shedding weight helps you in three. One being acceleration, second being braking and third is turning.

But yes CF parts are expensive and I'd probably start with doing the greatest weight loss to $ spent mods first.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts