Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TRD has released a carbon fiber trunk for our IS's! Can you paint carbon fiber? I think if I have the carbon fiber hood and trunk it would look ugly on a Yellow car.

------------------
98 Accord EX V6 coupe
AEM Intake, Comptech Headers, Random Tech high-flow cat, GReddy dual MX exhaust, BLTI Carbon Fiber Ignition cables, eibach springs, Axis wheels with Nittos, Wings West Spoiler.
15.1 @ 92 mph
2001 Lexus IS300 (Solar Yellow)
Coming soon: 12 second timeslips with the IS (my new all out drag car!)

·
Registered
387 Posts
What's the use of it? Reduce weight?

Since our car is front heavy, a carbon fiber hood would make more sense.

just my 2 cent.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
One thing everyone need to be careful of about carbon fiber is that itself is consider a resistor. Under certain circumstances, it will interfere with radio reception, so you may want to take that into consideration.
BTW, all modern F1 cars are made of carbon fiber/aluminum honeycomb monocoque chassis. Some of the better teams actually made their gearbox housing out of carbon fiber as well, which is not an easy process at all.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
you can paint carbon fiber parts...as long as it has the clear gel coating on it...which it usually does. the only bad thing is...they usually come out slightly wavy. if you've seen some carbon fiber hoods and other parts...they usually aren't very smooth looking...ESPECIALLY on a black car...

------------------
2001 IS300 Graphite Grey
98 MB CLK 320 white
94 Supra TT/6-speed/HardTop/black
90 Integra pearl white

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Pictures? Where and how much?
I kinda listen to the radio a bit though... it would suck if it really did interfere with every station.

Scott.

------------------
...yet another proud owner of a fully loaded Graphite Gray Pearl '01 IS300

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just because I love you guys.... and you need all the help you can get to beat my WRX
Here's a pic

I've never seen a caron trunk before... I wonder if it would look good or not... Hrmmmm.....

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I don't think it would stand out like a sore thumb on the Graphite Gray's would it? And what about the other two reflector light-thingys... they aren't "cut out" on that particular carbon fiber trunk? Ya know what I'm talking about?

Scott.

------------------

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
yeah...not holes for the "rear fog lights" heh...that's what they call them on the is200...

but still, you would have to paint it before you put it on. unless you really want that carbon fiber look...i think it's pretty cool...if you're going to rave your car...definately not for street use tho...

------------------
2001 IS300 Graphite Grey
98 MB CLK 320 white
94 Supra TT/6-speed/HardTop/black
90 Integra pearl white

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
how much is it and who makes it?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Evidently, from the initial post, TRD makes it. You'll need to take out a second mortgage since everything they make (according to other members) is fairly expensive, although I don't know first hand...

IMO, I kinda dig the "rear fog lights". heh heh... dude, are you serious that's what they call them on the IS200??
heh heh... that's hilarious.

Scott.

------------------

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
you can paint carbon fiber parts...as long as it has the clear gel coating on it...
You mean if it is laminated right? All the finish products are laminated carbon fiber. There are times that you don't notice the "clear coat" or resin because it is cured too dry. A correctly made composite parts (not just carbon fiber, but fiberglass and kevlar, and etc) will need to have a certain ratio of clothe vs resin, and if that is done correctly, you usually will have a smooth surface with a very thin layer of resin ontop of the clothe. Also, most carbon fiber parts for sale are either vacuum bagged or autoclaved, so the carbon fiber are pressed together and you should not feel the weave at all.
BTW, you can paint either laminated carbon fiber or the clothe, but I don't see why anyone will do it to the latter? If you don't believe me, go buy a piece of carbon fiber cloth (for $30) and take a spray paint and paint it.

[This message has been edited by Daniel (edited January 21, 2001).]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts