Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Here's an easier to follow link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=411955257&r=0&t=0

I'd be skeptical if the carbon fiber is "real". I've read in these forums that real carbon fiber would cost over $1000 to cover the interior of the IS 300. It looks like the one I saw at the Lexus dealership that's just plastic that LOOKS like carbon fiber...

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Many times it _is_ real carbon fiber, but since it's covered in such a think layer of epoxy on these kits, it looks fake, like it's plastic...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
wondering how much it would cost to have real carbon fiber replacement parts for the dash, instead of just putting stickers on top of plastic.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
If you are able to get a close look at the kit, then you can tell whether or not it is real. A real carbon fiber laminate, no matter how thick, will allow you to see the fibers in the pattern (unless it is polyester). I mean you will see the tiny little fibers that joined together in each weave. Also, if you look at it from an angle, you should see that the fibers are actually underneath the epoxy, not at the top of the laminate.
You can calculate how much it will cost you to cover the dash if you do it yourself. The fiber I usually buy is around $25 to $28 per square yard, and these are bi-directional 3K weave fibers at around 0.059" thick. This means you probably need at least two or three plies of carbon fiber. The epoxy is about $30/quart kit (aircraft graded), and it is good to cover probably the layup of 10 square yards, although I never really keep track. Anyway, from this you can probably figure out how much the materials will cost you and then put in the labor, you should have a rough estimate of the kit price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts