Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find an affordable carbon fiber hood, and all i could find is the TRD hood for $1,500
. There is got to be something else (hopefully cheaper) out there?

Also, what's the difference between carbon fiber and fiberglass hoods?

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Carisma Kit is like 500 + shipping is about 177$

·
Registered
85 Posts
has anyone seen the trd one? is it worth 1500? do you need hood pins? im also considering cf hood but heard some stuff from friend..

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
how much lighter is the carbon fiber hood?? than to stock??
also, do all carbon fiber hoods have pins?
is it safe to drive with a carbon fiber hood?? and is it legal? cops nowadays scare the crap out of me when i drive.. im afraid to not signal for fear or some ticket.. (my IS300 is yellow too..) thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
i'm selling my carbon fiber hood with hood pins and preilled holes. I had it on my car for about 2 months. I got it from carisma. stock hoods wigh about 45 lbs. the carbon fiber one weighed about 23-25. This was on a bathroom scale, so its not the most scientific measurement, but it give you an idea. Nothing is wrong iwht the hood, i just grew sick of it. $200 obo, e-mail me at [email protected]

·
Registered
579 Posts
Originally posted by IS3OO:
i'm selling my carbon fiber hood with hood pins and preilled holes. I had it on my car for about 2 months. I got it from carisma. stock hoods wigh about 45 lbs. the carbon fiber one weighed about 23-25. This was on a bathroom scale, so its not the most scientific measurement, but it give you an idea. Nothing is wrong iwht the hood, i just grew sick of it. $200 obo, e-mail me at [email protected]
Is300

Yo you said your carbonfiber hood weighted about 23-25 pounds. My brother just recently got a carbonfiber hood from carisma for his eclipse and his weights 6-8 pounds I was able to hold the hood with one finger. The reason why people buy carbonfiber hoods are because they are light in weight and if your hood weights 25 pounds then its not carbonfiber somebody sold you the wrong s**t. That is probably why your selling it. Yo I not cracking or anything but maybe you should call Carisma up.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
25 lb does sound a bit too heavy. However, I’m not buying it strictly for weight reduction, but merely to replace my stock, rock chipped/dented hood. I’d guess a new hood would cost me more than carbon fiber. Plus I think it will look good unpainted on my GGP.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
that color and black are probably the only colors it would look good on, unpainted that is.

be careful, they usually get screwed up during shipping.

Originally posted by Gennady:
25 lb does sound a bit too heavy. However, I’m not buying it strictly for weight reduction, but merely to replace my stock, rock chipped/dented hood. I’d guess a new hood would cost me more than carbon fiber. Plus I think it will look good unpainted on my GGP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts