Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ordered a PLP Underbody panel but the wait is around 6 weeks because it is on back order, and nothing against them but I dont want to wait. I thought I would create a DIY diffuser. First I'm going to order the parts and see if anyone would want a DIY on it. Anyway back on topic, I'm guessing all of you have seen the TRD front and rear diffusers but they are only for the Altezza so we are out of luck.

I was thinking about taking an aluminum sheet for the front and creating my own underbody panel. I would of course make a template out of carboard or such and make the appropriate holes and everything for that. But then I found carbon fiber sheets online and I am just wondering if it would be easier for me to use the Aluminum sheets or carbon fiber instead. The weight savings really doesn't matter as i am going for more of a aerodynamic purpose. Anyone with prior experince could you please help to answer which of the two materials would be easier.

I also know the carbon fiber will cost more, but that really isnt the issue.

Thanks,
Amit.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Good luck wit the project and make sure to do a thorough DIY so we can all be rocking them

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
but as soon as you hit something on the road (or if something bounces up), especially if you're lowered, that cf is GONE, whereas the alum can prbly withstand some degree of impact. think about it in terms of problems people have w/ their rmm lip - putting cf that close to the ground is kinda risky. my $.02

·
Registered
547 Posts
aznxmutt21 said:
but as soon as you hit something on the road (or if something bounces up), especially if you're lowered, that cf is GONE, whereas the alum can prbly withstand some degree of impact. think about it in terms of problems people have w/ their rmm lip - putting cf that close to the ground is kinda risky. my $.02
I thought the exact same thing. You're going to be screwed and even more angry once you realize all that energy was for nothing.

sISp

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ I see your points, well after logically thinking about it, I've ordered the sheets of Aluminum 6061 [I think thats what i need for exterior use.] Ill post up pics once im near completion, which won't be for a while since school started. But here goes . .

Again, thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
11,375 Posts
yea, let us know when the rear diffuser comes through. :)

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Just a quick question why would you want to do this anyway? it is not like our cars can benefit with a front and rear diffuser! If it is only for looks then I wouldn't waste my time but if you feel your doing it for a purpose you feel is beneficial then by all means use the aluminum.

But I think it will be all of a waste of time!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the only reason I am doing this is because my car is salvaged [Only way i could afford the 02 with 6k miles back in 2003.] And it did not come with a front underbody panel. Instead of buying one, why not make it myself. If the front is easy, which so far has been, I plan on making a rear diffuser. My friend put diffusers on his rx7 and the ride and handling at higher speeds has been greatly affected. So instead of drinking all day at college, I might do something useful.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
rock on bro... keep us posted... & who did you order the PLP panel from where is was bak ordered?

also where on line did you find CF panels...?

PS if you wanna cover the Alloy panels with CF i have something that will work for ya

1 - 10 of 10 Posts