Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I had to get jumper cables to start the car, and on my last oil change they (Pohanka Lexus, VA) told me that there was an error on the battery holding a charge. I got a new battery and managed to do the dumbest thing ever (reverse the connection). After I realized what I did I got it connected the right way. The car wouldn't start and all of the lights were off. I got it towed to the dealership and they found out that the 120A was blown and asked for $310 to replace it - I told them that it wasn't worth it and that I would replace it my self (which I did). Got it back to them and they hooked it up to diagnostics (which they couldn't do before) and after an hour of "diagnosing" came back and ask for 2 more hours because they are not able to diagnose the problem. Of course this brain storming session will cost me $340. (they changed the stereo and one more small fuse)
This was yesterday and I still haven't heard from them. Do any of you have any idea what might be happening ??

A.
Reston, VA

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Besides the stereo and a fuse, hopefully there are no other electrical components that shorted out (fried) when you reverse connected your battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got "THE CALL" they say that it is the igniter and that the total will be $1050 - because it is special order.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
it does...

but its not worth that price!

what year is your car? if its an O1, I have an ignitor I can sell to you for wayyyy cheaper then that...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am thinking of going back to the dealership and telling them that I can get the part and if they want to install it - it needs to be covered by the $340 they want to charge me for diagnostics. I am afraid that after I replace this it still won't work !

Any suggestions ?
How does one deal with dealership thieves ?

A.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you very much for the quick response tsopranoMB !!

Now that I see how accessible it is - I am even more pissed...

Any suggestion on how to procede ?

A.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
glad i could help..

honestly, totally up to you...you will still need to pay Lexus either way for them to release your car....you can pay, have them roll it out and just connect the new ignitor in their parking lot! thats what i would do....but hey, its a tough call to make....good luck

·
Registered
338 Posts
They will not put in a used part you bring them and warranty it, no mechanic will. Nor will they just plug it in for you. So just have them release the car and put it in yourself.

BUN

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally done !

Here is what happened:
I found the igniter on eBay for $95 w/ shipping. I contacted the seller and he sent me the part USPS first class and the part reached me on Wednesday (shipped Monday from CA). It said that the part was new on the auction but when I got it came with the bottom bracket which had used look to it, however the part itself looked brand new. Anyway,(back on that Monday) I went back to the dealership and they agreed that I can buy the part and bring it to them after they “tried to see what they can do to match the price” (originally $588 they offered to me for $480). Goes without saying that I went with my deal which I ordered before coming to the dealership.
If I took the car out I wouldn’t have a car to go around in for a few days and I would have to tow the car again somewhere else. + They would have still charged me the $340 for the diagnostics. (which I think is retarded that I have to pay for their inefficiency to diagnose a problem in 1h).
At the end they charged me for the diag. $340 + “installation of the igniter” $130 (5 min of work) + $5 for Radio and throttle control fuses + some disposal fee + $5/day for the loaner + tax = $509
Additional reason for having them do it was the diagnostic at the end to make sure all else is ok ! I wasn’t sure if replacing the igniter would be the last of it.
I still think I got ripped off and it was my last time I go to Pohanka Lexus of Chantilly !!!

Thank you all for your posts !

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
That's a lot of money for an easy fix, but you saved yourself a lot of money by doing the research. Good job, glad your problem is fixed! Just remember for the future: positive = red, negative = black! :p

FWIW I had a great service experience with Pohanka in Chantilly. I even wrote them a letter explaining how professional they were and how quickly they got the car back to me. If you do ever go back there for some reason, talk to Clif if he's still working there. He got me set up proper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts