Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the weirdest issue, I can’t seem to get my car started after finishing my front suspension. I think it has to do with the igniter and other box that both sat on top of the strut mounts when I was installing. There’s a new battery in the car, yet I don’t even see a light when I open the door or any lights on the dash. I tried jumping the car with no success, I might reset the ecu but I doubt that will do anything and I don’t really want to do that. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
378 Posts
So I sometimes run into this problem myself, in my situation, the igniter connector becomes loose over time due to all the heat cycles our engine bays create. Thus the connector can sometimes become brittle and not all pins make contact. And you have yourself a crank no start situation. I solve this simply by pushing the rubber back in in an attempt to reseat the pins properly, and it hasn't failed me yet.

Funny enough just 3 days ago I ordered myself a basically unused igniter and MAF sensor connector and i'll be re-wiring them shortly

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I sometimes run into this problem myself, in my situation, the igniter connector becomes loose over time due to all the heat cycles our engine bays create. Thus the connector can sometimes become brittle and not all pins make contact. And you have yourself a crank no start situation. I solve this simply by pushing the rubber back in in an attempt to reseat the pins properly, and it hasn't failed me yet.

Funny enough just 3 days ago I ordered myself a basically unused igniter and MAF sensor connector and i'll be re-wiring them shortly
I tried this and still had no luck, thanks for the suggestion though man.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay so I checked many of the smaller fuses with no luck. So now I’m going to try the big 120 amp one and if that’s not it I figured I’d just replace it anyways.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, Have you checked for spark?
I didn’t. But I took my car to the shop yesterday and they called this morning to let me know that my brand new battery was completely dead and my alternator fuse was blown as well, which is strange, considering I just replaced it a few days ago. After figuring that out they said the car started right up after replacing those two things. I feel like this was a major noob mistake lol.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I didn’t. But I took my car to the shop yesterday and they called this morning to let me know that my brand new battery was completely dead and my alternator fuse was blown as well, which is strange, considering I just replaced it a few days ago. After figuring that out they said the car started right up after replacing those two things. I feel like this was a major noob mistake lol.
Well, considering you were under the impression the battery was newer, which eliminates that part of the system, it's ok to think the problem was somewhere else. I will take some points off for not checking the voltage I suppose lol. Plus it can be a pain to transport the battery to get it tested. You're back on the road, that's what matters!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, considering you were under the impression the battery was newer, which eliminates that part of the system, it's ok to think the problem was somewhere else. I will take some points off for not checking the voltage I suppose lol. Plus it can be a pain to transport the battery to get it tested. You're back on the road, that's what matters!
Thanks man, I’m glad it’s running again. I can’t wait to finish the back but I’m already scraping on slight dips in the road. I didn’t think it would drop this much on mid perch haha.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks man, I’m glad it’s running again. I can’t wait to finish the back but I’m already scraping on slight dips in the road. I didn’t think it would drop this much on mid perch haha.
If you did coils, keep an eye on your alignment, I bought my car lowered and have -2º camber in the front on each side and causes accelerated inner tire wear.

·
Registered
855 Posts
If you did coils, keep an eye on your alignment, I bought my car lowered and have -2º camber in the front on each side and causes accelerated inner tire wear.
Toe is the worst, when you drop it the suspension toes out and thats pretty much just dragging the inside edge of the tires along the tarmac. Mines straightened up as best as they can and still has -0.5 on the front and -1 camber on the back, toe is now good but it still likes to chew the inside edges a little. The price we pay for stance and "maybe" improved handling :p

·
Mr. Roo
9,683 Posts
Toe is the worst, when you drop it the suspension toes out and thats pretty much just dragging the inside edge of the tires along the tarmac. Mines straightened up as best as they can and still has -0.5 on the front and -1 camber on the back, toe is now good but it still likes to chew the inside edges a little. The price we pay for stance and "maybe" improved handling :p
yeah it's unfortunate that lowering these cars doesn't work very well for alignment and tire life. Gotta pay to play lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does anybody remove their front skid plate or whatever that is that pokes down under the front bumper because that is scraping on everything lol and I’m not even that low

1 - 20 of 27 Posts