Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2007 Lexus IS350 with 72k miles. I changed the alternator yesterday after it failed, and now my car will not start. I have found several replies in various threads of others experiencing this same issue after changing their alternator, but have not been able to find any solutions. The dash lights up, but nav screen area does not. The car will not even attempt to turn over. I get a message on the dash that says "decompress brake before starting engine." The brake is very stiff. Power seats, windows etc. are not working. I also am not able to open or lock the car with the key.

I checked the battery at it is at 12.2 volts. I have also checked all fuses and power harnesses that were connect to new alternator to ensure they were put back on correctly. Has anybody else experienced this and have any solutions on how to fix it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
one day i start driving my 2007 is250 and the alternator is whining and then the car basically goes into limp mode and dies. called roadside assistance to jump it and then got it home.
ordered an alternator so i did that job myself which took about 3 days. i then get someone to jump it and now it won’t crank but has dash lights. i get the battery tested at a battery shop and they say it’s good. i check the starter relay and then i lose it in the abyss of under the window washer fluid reservoir and i can’t find it now. ordered a new starter relay. i inspected the fusible link and it doesn’t appear blow.
i believe i have a short somewhere or it could be the immobiliser/starter.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,944 Posts
took to battery shop and was good
A battery alone will show 12 volts, not 13.7

While charging (when the car is running obviously) the voltage should range from 13.7-14.7ish. Depending on the voltage regulator mostly for these cars.

Like I said above, you probably have a short somewhere. When you changed the alternator, did you disconnect the positive battery cable? Did you ground out the positive cable to the body or the engine by accident?

Check your fuses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A battery alone will show 12 volts, not 13.7

While charging (when the car is running obviously) the voltage should range from 13.7-14.7ish. Depending on the voltage regulator mostly for these cars.

Like I said above, you probably have a short somewhere. When you changed the alternator, did you disconnect the positive battery cable? Did you ground out the positive cable to the body or the engine by accident?

Check your fuses.
i checked every single fuse inside and in the engine bay but every fuse is seems to be okay. even the fusible link looks good

1 - 9 of 9 Posts