Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love cars but I also love bikes. For some reason I always have a perception that 2 wheelers are superior to 4 wheelers in many aspects. I always wonder which will be faster (amongst the best bike versus the best car), Grand Prix Bike or a F1/Cart/Le Mans vehicle:

- on a race course. Is there a track where both types of vehicle race and what are their lap times. Maybe if you have a link that would be helpful.

- 0-60mph or quarter mile time. Actually do they even record these?

- top speed

I know theres lots of info on these oh google searches but maybe you guys can help me out here. Thanks lots.

:D :D :D

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Car and Driver did a BIG article on this a few years back. I know a Viper was used, I honestly cannot remember the type of Bike that was used, but I know it was one of the fastest available at the time. They also got a experience Bike racer to drive the bike.

The Viper actually turned better lap times. While they said the bike therotecially could woop the Viper, you have to find a human that is willing to take the bike to 10/10ths, while its much easier to safely drive a Viper at 10/10th.

0-60, the bike won hands down.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
he's talking about a grand prix two stroke bike vs a formula 1 car though...in this category the car would win.

in a recent article, they pitted the fastest production american car against one of the fastest production bikes out on the market...it was a vette vs the gsxr1000. both were piloted by a well known racer who does very well with both vehicles...the bike won. i have the article somewhere here...can't seem to find it...

this has been debated by so many people in the past. you can't beat the performance of a bike dollar for dollar...BUT...vast majority of the people who ride can't handle a bike like they can a car...they're simply too scared to push a bike anywhere near it's limits...this especially goes for the new bikes currently on the market today...the new bikes are just ridiculous...i mean for like $10,000 you can get something that will outrun almost any production car out there...well, maybe not top speed...but accelaration on these new things is just crazy!!!

oh...as for top speed...the thing that hinders the bike is the wind factor...on a hayabusa...i think the top "corrected" speed is somewhere near the 180-190 something mark...there are some cars that will do better with just getting rid of the speed govner i think...i know bpu supras can do 190+...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah im talking about the 2 stroker GP Bikes that revv to like 14K rpm in a heart beat with a rwhp of 180?? those will kill any production bikes. now theyre changing them to 4 stroker but just as fast. yeah the 2 stroker were extremely light cuz of their 500cc engines so handling is incredible. so a F1 will kill GP Bikes? anyone know a track lap time of any sort to compare cars to GP Bikes that were raced on the same track?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
HyperMKIV said:
he's talking about a grand prix two stroke bike vs a formula 1 car though...in this category the car would win.

in a recent article, they pitted the fastest production american car against one of the fastest production bikes out on the market...it was a vette vs the gsxr1000. both were piloted by a well known racer who does very well with both vehicles...the bike won. i have the article somewhere here...can't seem to find it...
Correct. I believe the track was Laguna Seca :-?

As for F1 or Grand Prix MC...F1 will beat any bike. We're talking upwards of 10x the HP, with the F1's hovering an inch off the ground with 24" fat tires hugging every corner. No comparison really.

But I had some good fun on my R6 last summer...raced some NSX's, Vette's, and Porsches off the line. Some good battles...and if they had the distance to keep going, they would of surely caught me.

i topped my R6 out at 287 km/h = 179 mph (non-corrected speed) with only a full system Yosh pipe and jet kit. All I can say is, when you're going that fast, you really have no clue how fast you're actually going until you find the nerves to peek down at the speedometer.

i was like :eek:

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
ok...i'm not too sure how comprehensive this is...but i looked up some laptimes:

taken from http://www.honda-racing.co.uk/motogp/story.php?story=28

Last Sunday Rossi recorded the quickest-ever motorcycle lap at Suzuka, at 2m 04.343s, leading a Honda one-two-three. Second fastest was team-mate Tohru Ukawa (Repsol Honda Team RC211V), underlying the V5's stunning performance, with reigning 250 World Champion Daijiro Katoh (Fortuna Honda Gresini NSR500) third on his NSR500 two-stroke.

so that's a little over 2 minutes for a 500cc two stroke GP bike...

now for F1 http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html?http://f1.racing-live.com/en/archives/results_2002/suzuka_race.shtml

seems that M.SCHUMACHER's time was 1'31"317

so that's a pretty damn big gap...i have to look into it more...maybe they set the track up diff or something. i didn't think the bikes were faster...but i didn't think they would be THAT way off...that's more than 30 seconds diff...

oh...i just used suzuka as an example cause i like that track... :)

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
yeah, like I said F1 will slaughter any bike, the one big problem with bike is, is that it has NO downforce. Major handicap. Even if it did, it wouldnt have had a chance :lol:

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
Boodies said:
yeah, like I said F1 will slaughter any bike, the one big problem with bike is, is that it has NO downforce. Major handicap. Even if it did, it wouldnt have had a chance :lol:
the thing about the bikes also is areodynamics...

one more major factor is the suspension characterisctics of bikes...since you can't stay planted, the front and rear unloads as you shift your weight, make turns, accelerate and brake...

accelerating out of a turn, the front unloads and the back end squats...under hard braking, the rear sometimes actually lifts off the ground and loads the front suspension a lot...making it harder to turn into a turn...this makes tuning a bike for the track a little more difficult than a car in some aspects...plus, the contact patch of a bike is so small...think of the speeds they get up to in turns...all on that small patch of rubber...amazing to say the least...

also, i honestly think that riding a motorcycle at those speeds require more technical ability than driving a car...even though cars can go around the track faster...i like watching motorcycle racing much more...it's more dynamic and usually more exciting. you see so much more in motorcycle racing...more passing...more head to head competition...just my opinion...

·
Mr. Negative
12,387 Posts
I remember watching an F1 race a couple years back on a track where the GP bike boys ran too. They had one of the bike commentators on for a small segment and were asking him what the biggest difference was that he could tell from watching. He said it was the brake zones. He said that when the F1 boys showed up, that it was scarry to watch the cars. Mainly because they are still WOT so much further towards the corner. The bikers will be sitting up and coersing the bike to slow down while prepping it for the corner and the F1 cars are still accelerating.

btw: the f1 times were noticeably faster.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
here's another data pt i found when randomly glancing through threads:

The fastest lap on the Ring recorded Stefan Bellof 1983 with his Group C Porsche during practice in 6:11 min.
Helmut Dähne's record lap for motorcycles is still unbeaten with 7:49 min.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
mrclam said:
here's another data pt i found when randomly glancing through threads:

The fastest lap on the Ring recorded Stefan Bellof 1983 with his Group C Porsche during practice in 6:11 min.
Helmut Dähne's record lap for motorcycles is still unbeaten with 7:49 min.
what's the ring???

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
HyperMKIV said:
what's the ring???
the Nurburgring. Legendary race track in Deutschland.

The Blitz Supra held a track record for a couple years there.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
quick said:
HyperMKIV said:
what's the ring???
the Nurburgring. Legendary race track in Deutschland.

The Blitz Supra held a track record for a couple years there.
so who beat it? Nissan Skyline GTR? I thought Supras are too heavy for road courses and only good for drag racing /roll ons? Somebody give me an insight on this...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
jashikdave said:
so who beat it? Nissan Skyline GTR? I thought Supras are too heavy for road courses and only good for drag racing /roll ons? Somebody give me an insight on this...

:lol:

You bought into all of the bullshit hype, eh?

:roll: The Supra is a sports car above and beyond any other Japanese sports car.

No, a Porsche GT2 beat the time I believe.

The Skyline couldn't hang. It's time was far below. It's a dog on the top-end.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
12 Participants
HyperMKIV
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing