Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know whats going on with my car weve tried many things and it still burns oil. It burns about a quart every week or two depending on how i drive and when i start it in the mornings it spits oil out the exhaust. figured this wasnt good so we took it to the shop. first the changed the PCV and that did nothing. next we changed the valve seals certain this would fix it and its still broken. went by the Lexus dealership the other day and the guy says the only other thing it could really be would be the piston rings. but he says this is a lot of money and not really even worth fixing might as well just get a new engine. or a used one. Just looking for someone who may of had past experience with this or who knows more than ive find out so far. thanks

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
How did you come about that your engine is burning oil? It is normal for an engine to comsume some engine oil during engine operation. The amount of oil consumed depends on the quality and viscosity of the oil. It also depends how the car is driven, high speed driving, frequent acceleration and deceleration. My other question is, have you done a compression test?

·
Registered
45 Posts
not to bash on anything. but were the valve guide seals done professionally?
sounds like that is the problem. usally smoke on start up is the seals.
valve guide seals are an intense job. not for the average person. were the seals bad that they removed?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Prior fixing it you should do compression test. There is lots of treads on it. Depending on the compression, how is it going up and how is it drops you can determine where is the leak.

When you open your oil cup is there any white stuff on the cup? If there is it means that your head gasket is gone. So I would defenatelly do the compression test prior to do any expensive repairs. If you need instructions on how to do it PM me.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
along with oil burning, are you getting a lot of smoke on startup? acceleration? deceleration? idol?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How did you come about that your engine is burning oil? It is normal for an engine to comsume some engine oil during engine operation. The amount of oil consumed depends on the quality and viscosity of the oil. It also depends how the car is driven, high speed driving, frequent acceleration and deceleration. My other question is, have you done a compression test?

i noticed it burning oil when my oil light would come on so id check my oil and it wouldnt even show up on the stick. started checking it more frequently and it got worse i took it to the shop. and yes they did a compression test and he said everything looked normal

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not to bash on anything. but were the valve guide seals done professionally?
sounds like that is the problem. usally smoke on start up is the seals.
valve guide seals are an intense job. not for the average person. were the seals bad that they removed?

yes they were done by a professional at his lexus shop. and it doesnt usually smoke at the start up it mostly just spits oil. i have a big line of oil behind my car where i park. and im pretty sure the seals were bad but i cant quite remember ill have to talk to him about it

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
along with oil burning, are you getting a lot of smoke on startup? acceleration? deceleration? idol?

i do get smoke when i floor it. mainly at higher rpms in 1st gear. not really on start up. its been cold lately so i get the smoke that everyone gets in the cold when the car is first started but it does seem to be a little more than the average car

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Did you recently change to a synthetic oil from a non-synthetic one? When I changed to mobil 1, I noticed I was burning oil for a little while. Maybe the rings needed to reseal with the more vicious oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts