Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when im driving normally on the streets the steerring reacts too much to the conditions of the pavements like cracks/grooves and bumps. it literally feels like i know exactly whats going on on the pavement. occasionally the sterring will yank to the left/jright and i have to be cautious at all times and pay attention to how the road conditions. do i need an alignment or is somthing wrong with the suspension?

then again it might have been the result of a small accident i had running over a curb several months ago...

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I kinda see what you're saying, sometimes when the road is bumpy, the steering wheel will jerk back and forth, but not too badly. That incident might have caused the problem to be worse, but I think a little jerkiness is normal.

·
8,827 Posts
Does it happen during braking? If yes, then it is normal.

·
Registered
197 Posts
actually this is a good point- when i was comparing the BMW 3-series in my car quest- i did notice that the steering in that car was ROCK SOLID compared to the IS3- it' just a more solid in control, rather than being controlled feeling.
Not that the IS3 is a slouch- i love the acceleration and the small car 'tossability (sp?)' - but if we're talking bout steering wheel feel- then i gotta give it to those engineers at BMW- they mos def know what they're doing! Lexus could learn a thing or two from them in that dept!

and where's OUR telescoping steering dammit?!?!? :bitching:

·
What's all this, then?
154 Posts
Yea, I have wierd tracking in my 02 Sportcross, too. Maybe that's just the way a car with low-profile tires handles. I'll be due for new tires soon, so I'll look into any possible steering/suspension issues at that point (that is if I don't end up as a decoration on an underpass wall in the meantime) :crazy:

·
Premium Member
52,282 Posts
AustinAltezza said:
when im driving normally on the streets the steerring reacts too much to the conditions of the pavements like cracks/grooves and bumps. it literally feels like i know exactly whats going on on the pavement. occasionally the sterring will yank to the left/jright and i have to be cautious at all times and pay attention to how the road conditions. do i need an alignment or is somthing wrong with the suspension?

then again it might have been the result of a small accident i had running over a curb several months ago...
High performance tires with agressive treads will nibble and try to follow little depressed lines in the pavement. Some tires are worse than others. You can minimize this some by having the car lined up to give more straight line stability, but that will hurt your turning and handling a little bit.

Tire pressure will also affect that some.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
First, check your ait pressure, especially since it has gotten cooler (in may area at least). Lower front air pressure will react worst.

Next get your alignment checked. Also affects how the steering feels. Checks are usually free, but they'll charge $40-90 depending where you go.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
i have the same problem. i thought it was just mine too. i think our tires have a lot to do with it also. glad i'm not the only one.

oh, and your right about the beemers. my friends 330 has the best feed back and control from the steering wheel. totally awesome handleing characteristics(sp).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.