Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright here's the deal...i took my car in for it's 20k mile check at toyota since they charged less...2 days later i was exiting the freeway and next thing i knew my caution lights were on...when i stopped at the exit i realized my car had stalled out while exiting the freeway in neutral...it started out just fine and i was able to drive it home...i thought it was a fluke but a few days later it happened again this time i almost hit another car because i couldnt control my car...so i took it to the dealership today so they can look at it...has anyone ever experience somthing like this before...also the dealership is saying that my intake might be the cause of it...which i think is BS because ive had that intake almost as long as i had the car and this is the first incedent...any info would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance...

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
ultraIS said:
alright here's the deal...i took my car in for it's 20k mile check at toyota since they charged less...2 days later i was exiting the freeway and next thing i knew my caution lights were on...when i stopped at the exit i realized my car had stalled out while exiting the freeway in neutral...it started out just fine and i was able to drive it home...i thought it was a fluke but a few days later it happened again this time i almost hit another car because i couldnt control my car...so i took it to the dealership today so they can look at it...has anyone ever experience somthing like this before...also the dealership is saying that my intake might be the cause of it...which i think is BS because ive had that intake almost as long as i had the car and this is the first incedent...any info would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance...
do you have an aftermarket intake?

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
it's your intake. Do you have a drop in K&N or is it the FIPK?
you may want to add a Heatsheild with a wind deflector (sorta like the SRT's heatsheild). it could help.

I know of some people who let their car coast on neutral, and the engine will shut off.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mine did the same thing. What I did notice is that if you are trying to coast in neutral and add gas it will not shut off. I think that our cars are designed not to coast.

I'm guessing you have an e-shift yes?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Why do so many people drive in neutral to coast? It is dangerous! You can't accelerate if you need to to make an avoidance maneuver, and if you're trying to save on gas, it would literally save a few drops and isn't worth it. Taking your foot off the accelerator saves a ton of gas by itself. Watch your mpg needle jump when you ease off the gas. Be safe, people!

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
cryostate said:
Why do so many people drive in neutral to coast? It is dangerous! You can't accelerate if you need to to make an avoidance maneuver, and if you're trying to save on gas, it would literally save a few drops and isn't worth it. Taking your foot off the accelerator saves a ton of gas by itself. Watch your mpg needle jump when you ease off the gas. Be safe, people!

not to mention, it's actually illegal to coast your car in neutral.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
^ you 2 are on crack...mine use to do that when coming to a stop and i depressed the clutch going about 20-30. it the under the hood turbulances that cause this

-Brett

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
^^ ur right, it's the turbulence under the hood, mixed with an aftermarket intake.

it will shut off.....

that's why I suggested using a heatshield, similar to SRT's where there is a deflector to re-direct the airflow downward instead of directly at the filter cone. ;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I know mine stalls out sometime when i am sitting at a light. When the fan kicks in it starts to idle too low and sometimes it catches its self and sometimes it doesnt and stalls. If i have the A/C on it wont do it. Sometimes it acts funny and other times it is just fine where the idle is just fine? Confusing. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Open to anything.

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
Mine has done this before I had the intake. But it only happn'd once. Knock on wood.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
KissmyIS said:
I know mine stalls out sometime when i am sitting at a light. When the fan kicks in it starts to idle too low and sometimes it catches its self and sometimes it doesnt and stalls. If i have the A/C on it wont do it. Sometimes it acts funny and other times it is just fine where the idle is just fine? Confusing. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Open to anything.
your intake sucks.
This was a known issue about 4 years ago.
The fan kicks on in traffic, causing hot turbulent air to be throw into your filter, messing with MAF readings and causing the car to stall.

The solution was to make a heat shield.
That's why SRT had one from the beginning. Injen took 3 generations to finally finger it out, AEM never gave a shit...and others we don't really care about.

·
Registered
97 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
your intake sucks.
This was a known issue about 4 years ago.
The fan kicks on in traffic, causing hot turbulent air to be throw into your filter, messing with MAF readings and causing the car to stall.

The solution was to make a heat shield.
That's why SRT had one from the beginning. Injen took 3 generations to finally finger it out, AEM never gave a shit...and others we don't really care about.
Thank you! that just made me get the SRT intake! i was waiting for a good reason to get it. I think that was just it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts