Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It doesn't happen all the time, but whenever I try to get going in 1st gear and I slip the clutch a little bit to get a smooth start the car shudders and the shifter gets thrashed around. No the car isn't bogging out. This is with the tach at around 1800-2000 RPM's.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MSM5speed said:
Clean MAF Sensor? That took care of my problem (similar to yours)
Nah, it isn't that the car isn't getting enough air or that the MAF is dirty. The engine speed is high enough to where the car is not bogging out, like a said in my first post.

Thanks though.

The problem seems to be originating from the clutch or somewhere in that area...I think.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Might be time for a new clutch and/or flywheel. It sometimes only takes a few "banzai" blasts to warp a clutch. Even under normal conditions, heat will warp the face of the flywheel and/or pressure plate over time, causing the "shudder" you mention when trying to engage.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the clutch and/or flywheel are warped, even slightly, but the car still drives fine except for that shudder sometimes, would not taking care of it cause any damage?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Does it happen in the mornings when the clutch is cold?

Many of us manual owners have experienced this.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
maybe bleed the clutch cylinder and refil?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
bent PP fingers... it goes away slighty when the stock clutch warms up correct...

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, it does happen more when the car starts up for the first time in the morning. But it also happens randomly during the day.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
sounds like bent pressure plate fingers..the pressure plate is what focres the contact patch to the flywheel. If a few of the fingers are bent then you get a slip-stick slip kind of action going on. This creates a loss of friction and then restoration of friction... the shudder efffect. It wont ever go away completely (unless you replace pp flywheel and clutch..) just becomes less noticable as the clutch heats up and looses some of its friction characteristics..

edit: slipped my mind.. check the torque on your tranny mounts bolts and engine mount bolts..... :blush:

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
would this also cause a sort of "kick" under hard acceleration? Where it feels like the car accelerates hard but then sort of looses power and then kicks back in quickly? Kind of like you hit a bump in the road and the tires loose contact momentarily.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
that sounds more like the slave cylinder isnt reasing the clutch compltely

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
i have similar issues right now. im fine in 1st and 2nd gear....once im in 3rd, i cant do anything but lightly press the gas or the rpms shoot up and i just roll like in neutral. obviuosly clutch is slipping, but i may hav edamaged the throw out bearing, and liek tom said, possibly bent the slave cylinder rod. hopefully its just the clutch disk

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Myis300t said:
that sounds more like the slave cylinder isnt reasing the clutch compltely
Hmm, how would I find out for sure?

I don't think bringing the car into Lexus would help because they would either say nothing is wrong and they can't feel or perceive a problem or I wouldn't be able to duplicate it on the spot.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mikefate said:
i have similar issues right now. im fine in 1st and 2nd gear....once im in 3rd, i cant do anything but lightly press the gas or the rpms shoot up and i just roll like in neutral. obviuosly clutch is slipping, but i may hav edamaged the throw out bearing, and liek tom said, possibly bent the slave cylinder rod. hopefully its just the clutch disk
Yeah, deffinitely sounds like your clutch is slipping. My clutch isn't slipping at all though...at least not enough for me to perceive it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
TeCKis300 said:
Does it happen in the mornings when the clutch is cold?

Many of us manual owners have experienced this.
yeah... I had the same problem. It definitly didn't seem right the way car was shaking but giving the car more gas helped out in my case. Give it a shot and see if it helps. Here is the discussion that got sparked when I asked about it. http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=259080

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had this exact same shudder, I took it to the dealer last week with 49,7700 miles on my IS and they quoted me $1,450.00. After about a week of Lexus locating parts, the service rep called to inform me Lexus would cover the clutch under warranty since the fly wheel was warped. I just got the car back today and the clutch feels completely different from the original one.

·
Registered
107 Posts
FourT6and2 said:
It doesn't happen all the time, but whenever I try to get going in 1st gear and I slip the clutch a little bit to get a smooth start the car shudders and the shifter gets thrashed around. No the car isn't bogging out. This is with the tach at around 1800-2000 RPM's.

Any thoughts?
Can you explain what you mean by slipping the clutch a little bit to get a smoot start.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
embhoya said:
Can you explain what you mean by slipping the clutch a little bit to get a smoot start.
Well, instead of letting the clutch out all the way rather quickly (I'm not talking about dumping or popping the clutch) I let the clutch out until I feel it start to engage then hold the pedal there as I apply the throttle and when I feel the car start to move I fully release the clutch.

I'm not talking about granny shifting either or riding the clutch. It's hard to put into words.

·
Registered
107 Posts
FourT6and2 said:
Well, instead of letting the clutch out all the way rather quickly (I'm not talking about dumping or popping the clutch) I let the clutch out until I feel it start to engage then hold the pedal there as I apply the throttle and when I feel the car start to move I fully release the clutch.

I'm not talking about granny shifting either or riding the clutch. It's hard to put into words.
Yeah I know what you mean. Is that bad for the clutch though? I wasnt aware that it was unless you really give it a ton of gas.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts