Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I installed my SRT intake with race-ecu about 6 weeks ago, since then put about 2k miles on it. When I first installed the intake the car felt much stronger on the top end, and about the same on the low end. However, I am driving my car around now and I can swear by my butt dyno the car has gotten considerably slower in the past 2 weeks. The top end just doesnt have any "oomph" like it did before. The power curve kind of flattens out more it seems after 4k rpm. I can't put my finger on it, and I don't know what to do. No CEL, so I'm good there. I reset the ECU, but it didnt make a difference. Then I cleaned the MAF, still no go. I'm positive I felt a surge of power after 4k rpm when I first intalled the intake. Maybe its the soldering of the race-ecu? I installed it myself, and it was my frist time soldering anything, so maybe the connections on the wires are poor? Would that affect performance? Wouldn't I get a CEL if that was the case? I will glady give +rep to anyone who helps. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Since gain on intake is so minimal, You probalbly got use to your
car.
There are no drastic gain on intakes.
No CEL , if spark plugs are ok, then your car should be fine.

Drive another stock IS, maybe you can tell the diffrence.
Meaning you can tell that your car has more power.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I'm thinking it's one of three things:

1. You're getting used to your car
2. Your Filter is dirty
3. One of your wires has a short or no connection on the race ecu.

If it were #3 though, I believe your car would be acting a lot weirder than just a loss of power, depending on what wire went bad.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
EdsLex said:
OK I installed my SRT intake with race-ecu about 6 weeks ago, since then put about 2k miles on it. When I first installed the intake the car felt much stronger on the top end, and about the same on the low end. However, I am driving my car around now and I can swear by my butt dyno the car has gotten considerably slower in the past 2 weeks. The top end just doesnt have any "oomph" like it did before. The power curve kind of flattens out more it seems after 4k rpm. I can't put my finger on it, and I don't know what to do. No CEL, so I'm good there. I reset the ECU, but it didnt make a difference. Then I cleaned the MAF, still no go. I'm positive I felt a surge of power after 4k rpm when I first intalled the intake. Maybe its the soldering of the race-ecu? I installed it myself, and it was my frist time soldering anything, so maybe the connections on the wires are poor? Would that affect performance? Wouldn't I get a CEL if that was the case? I will glady give +rep to anyone who helps. Thanks guys.

Was the SRT new or used? If used, did you do the Edgy filter cleanup? W/o that club soda method i had to clean my filter 3 times to get it really clean. W/o the clean filter the car was quite sluggish especially after 4k rpm.

Also I have noticed that the oil filters loose their flow kinda quickly. In about 6 months tops they get dirty enough to loose flow. My K&N seems to do better than the AFE on the SRT.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the intake brand new. But now when I take a closer look at it, it did get somewhat dirty since then, so next up on my agenda is to clean the air filter, we'll see if that works. Also, it's definitly not me "getting used to the car" because the car actually feels like it's slower now (after 4k rpm) than when it was bone stock. I never felt this way when I installed my other mods, and used them for weeks after.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
EdsLex said:
I got the intake brand new. But now when I take a closer look at it, it did get somewhat dirty since then, so next up on my agenda is to clean the air filter, we'll see if that works. Also, it's definitly not me "getting used to the car" because the car actually feels like it's slower now (after 4k rpm) than when it was bone stock. I never felt this way when I installed my other mods, and used them for weeks after.
Check the connections to the ECU to make sure they're still making a contact.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
joecrappa said:
Check the connections to the ECU to make sure they're still making a contact.
If the connections are bad on an intake such as the SRT the car will run like ass. Cant be a connection issue.

Sounds like a dirty filter. Do you have some very slight hesitation when cruising on the freeway sometimes? Especially when you let off the gas or get into the gas during a constant cruise? If so that will be the sign of a clogged filter.

·
Registered
218 Posts
EdsLex said:
change your oil.. lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts