Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I start my IS (sportcross), and put it in drive, the car rolls about 10 - 15 feet forward and I hear a "strange" noise. It sounds like something is engaging? Very hard to describe the noise. Sort of like a growl. I asked my mechanic, and over the phone he wasn’t sure, but he also hasn’t actually heard it in person yet. I am taking it to him next week and wanted to see what you all thought.

The noise only happens right after you roll forward (in gear). It happens every time I strat the car, whether its warmed up or not.

Maybe a loose belt? If I let the car sit idling for a while and then put it in drive and roll forward it still makes the noise. Even if I put it in drive and hold the brake for a while and then roll forward it still makes the noise.

I’m worried it might be the transmission. My car only has about 45k on it, but I just bought it so I don’t know how long the noise has been going on.

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
It sounds like the self check for the anti-lock brake system. Hard to describe, but a little "scraping" almost sound and it only happens once. Curious what everyone else thinks...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did notice that it makes the same sound if I go in reverse too. Not really a scraping sound though. Wish I could record it and post it as a .wav file. I guess I could suck it up and take it to the Lexus Dealership. I'll give my mechanic friend a try first. 1/4th the price :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
same here i know the sound your talking about its usually on cold start..even after you warm it up....for me it happens after i reverse and then put it in drive.. since im not sure if this caues any harm after i revers i put it in neutral..wait a second than put in drive...that way the engageing motion is not rushed....also another sound i noticed is when i put the car in drive and it sounds sort of like the torque converter is not grabbing or soemthing ...like a quick whirring noise..well thats my two cents :suspiciou

1 - 6 of 6 Posts