Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went to the bookstore and looked at the newest issues of C&D, R&T, and Motor Trend. Here are some observations:

1. Saturn has chosen a new name for their upcoming SUV. They are calling it the SUV. Is that stupid or what? LS = larger sedan, SW = station wagon, and now SUV = sport utility vehicle. Can't they be a bit more creative?

2. Car and Driver reported an as-tested price of $43K for the C320. It does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds.

3. C&D also claims that Subaru will offer Americans a 250hp flat-four for the Impreza. This contradicts Autoweek's previous claim that the American Impreza would have 220hp. Either way, this car is gonna seriously kick butt. The styling may not be pretty, but atleast it's distinctive and it won't be mistaken for a Civic (which now looks like the product of miscegenation between a Jetta and a Mirage).

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by kota:
The 02 Imprezza will probably be called the "poor-man's S4". The 2 liter boxer engine with turbo will make 250ps (246HP) and have AWD. Price is expected to start around $25k.

[This message has been edited by kota (edited October 04, 2000).]
" Poor Man's S4" Well Said Kota!

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Viggen,
What was said about the Audi S8? Was it a positive review? That car is definitely in a class by itself with 360hp and the quattro system.. The handbuilt AMG S55 can compete but it's far too pricy... I should go and get my copies of these magazines..
Eric...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I just checked MBUSA.com, and they claim that the C320 goes from 0-60mph in 6.9 sec. Another manufacturer that has lower elapsed time than tested in magazine. Hmm, I wonder if this is a trend among all manufactueres now a day.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Maybe, but then again he was testing top speed in one of those highly banked oval rather than 0-60 time in a drag or air strip. I think they should stop testing top speed because I don't see a point for that, especially for cars that suppose to go over 200mph. I forgot his name, but one of the motortrend testers was very reluctant to test one of the modified Corvette because he doesn't think it is safe. Leave those top speed stuff to professional racers using actual race cars.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Well Daniel, the Corvette you mention is something that was tuned by an aftermarket company. I wouldn't trust it either at high speeds. Don Schroeder was killed driving a HEAVILY modified E-class Mercedes Benz Renntech 7.4. He crashed while going 170mph... I don't think I trust those heavily modified aftermarket cars...
Eric...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I won't trust any street car at that speed, or even anything over 150mph. I still don't get why people love the top speed so much. Is it the bragging right or what? Can someone please explain?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by Daniel:
I won't trust any street car at that speed, or even anything over 150mph. I still don't get why people love the top speed so much. Is it the bragging right or what? Can someone please explain?
Top Speed is definitely for bragging rights. BMW, governs all of their cars at 128mph (except the M5, 540i sport, and Z8), Audi and Mercedes benz do the same at 130mph. Lexus on the other hand set their govenors at 150 mph (LS400, SC400, and GS400) with the IS300/GS300 drag limited to 143-144mph. Some people like to brag that the IS300 flies past the govenered 330i and Audi A4 2.8 quattro (both cars fully capable of acheiving 145mph without the govenor)..So yes, Top speed is definitely for bragging rights.
Eric.....

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Erick, I didn't read the article on the S8. I just looked at the stats real quickly and I remember a 0-60 time of 6.3.

Originally posted by EricK:
Viggen,
What was said about the Audi S8? Was it a positive review? That car is definitely in a class by itself with 360hp and the quattro system.. The handbuilt AMG S55 can compete but it's far too pricy... I should go and get my copies of these magazines..
Eric...

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
I read an article in some magazine about an Imprezza fighter from Mazda, the 626 something....i can't remember its acronym but its reminiscent of of the Lancer Evo
and supposed to be a pretty viable threat to the Imprezza

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by viggen:
Hey Erick, I didn't read the article on the S8. I just looked at the stats real quickly and I remember a 0-60 time of 6.3.
6.3 seconds?? What a disappointment.. Was that at least Audi's claim (which is always conservative). The Mercedes Benz S500 has 302 horsepower, weighs 4,133 lbs, and goes 0-60 in 6.1 seconds (Car & Driver) whereas the Audi S8 weighs less by 100lbs, has 360 horsepower, and goes 0-60 in 6.3 seconds... now that doesn't make any sense because the Tiptronic Audi S4 weighs 3702 lbs, has 250 horsepower and goes 0-60 in 6 seconds flat (not Audi spec), Audi S8 weighs a little over 4000 lbs (due to Alumimum constuction), has 360 horses and is slower... hmmmmmmm.
Eric...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Erick, I don't remember if that 6.3sec time was Audi's claim or C&D's number. I'm going back to the bookstore later and buying that magazine and so I'll give you a detailed report on that article later.

[This message has been edited by viggen (edited October 05, 2000).]

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you check out the A8 board they are very disappointed with the S8. They really wanted competition for the M5 and didn't get it.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by S38:
If you check out the A8 board they are very disappointed with the S8. They really wanted competition for the M5 and didn't get it.
S38,
What are you talking about?? Audi never intended to take on the M5 with the S8. The S8 is based on the A8 (like 740i BMW) and the M5 (5series). Just like Lexus, Audi isn't interested in that niche right now like Mercedes Benz (AMG E55) and Jaguar (with their XJR) which are formidable M5 competitors. If BMW choosing to make an M varient of the 740i, then that would be a fair competior of the Audi S8. Until then the S8 in a class by itself...
Eric...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Erick - I just finished reading the C&D article on the S8. That 6.3 sec 0-60 time is Audi's claim. C&D thinks it is conservative. The S8 has 50 more hp than the "L" model and weighs a couple of hundred pounds less and so it should be a lot more than just 3/10 of a seconds faster. I'm kinda surprised that the S8's hp peaks at 7000RPM. I wonder what the redline is.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by viggen:
Erick - I just finished reading the C&D article on the S8. That 6.3 sec 0-60 time is Audi's claim. C&D thinks it is conservative. The S8 has 50 more hp than the "L" model and weighs a couple of hundred pounds less and so it should be a lot more than just 3/10 of a seconds faster. I'm kinda surprised that the S8's hp peaks at 7000RPM. I wonder what the redline is.
Thanks for the review Viggen, and I'm sure the actual time will still possibly be just under 6 seconds. Yeah I imagine its red line has crept higher and I'm sure at 7000 RPM's that 40valve (5 valves/cylinder) V8 sounds VERY SWEET...
Eric...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts