Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
And a clicking relay is a good relay?
Usually, providing the contacts are good which you verified by testing for power with your test light. Bad contacts could also show voltage but lack the current to allow the horns to work, so swapping them with a known working relay was a good idea. At this point I would unmount the horns and hook them straight up to the battery, casing of the horns gets the negative and one wire terminal gets positive. No blow and you know your horns are bad.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If it turns out you need new horns, you can have mine for practically free. I swapped mine out a few months ago for some loud BMW horns :).

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Ok. Will try that later tonyt......BMW horns louder?

Much louder. I scare people every time I use them. Scared myself one time when I opened my hood with the car alarm armed lol. I think I got them off a older (90s) BMW 5 series in a local junkyard for $5 for a pair (high and low tone). Had to cut stock wiring to splice and solder in the new harness for the BMW horns. Great upgrade though.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Test the horn. Get some spare wiring. Slide it into the connector and touch the positive on the battery with the wire. If it honks, it's wiring. If it doesn't, it's the horn itself.

Another thing to remember is we have 2 horns, not just 1.

·
Registered
107 Posts
update: horn contacts were corroded bad enuff to where they were not making contact with plug. Cleaned them up and good to go. I do want new ones now tho. Mine sound pretty weak :/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sickspeed

yeah check the fuse for the horn... also, i believe that your horn is located facing down in front of your engine on the passenger side.... go ahead and look there. the horn looks like this

but without the PIAA logo on it of course...and a bit smaller...

if you were to buy and install a new horn...it's very very simple... just a single harness with 2 wires and you can splice them if you have to, it's a positive (green i think) and a negative (black) that's all, very simple... first check fuses... then check connections.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts